Hon Chemistry 2-8-24 Structure of the Atom

HON CHEMISTRY: So how to you find something you can’t see? Here’s the lesson from Thursday. Be sure and follow the connections the scientists made as they discovered the structure of the atom. Do you think there could be anything smaller than protons, neutrons, and electrons? Hmmmmm……

Make sure you know the name of the scientists, the name of their experiments, be able to draw a diagram of their experiment, and describe how they interpreted the experimental results that led to their discoveries.

Here are some extra video clips to go with the lesson for today. They’ll help you review the different experiment that the guys like Thompson and Rutherford did. Click here for the video on the Cathode Ray Tube Experiment that Thompson did, and also for a little history on The Discovery of the Electron. Here’s the other one on The Discovery of the Nucleus.

By the way – do you think you could do what they did – figure out what something’s made of without seeing it? Hmmmm….

flickr photo by Here’s Kate

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 2-8-24 Structure of the Atom

1. This week I have done well with not procrastinating my homework and lab. It has been a busy week in most of my classes so I’ve done well staying on top of my work and planned out well what I’ve needed to do.

2. I did well in paying attention to the lessons and trying to understand by taking good notes and drawing good diagrams. I want to understand every part of the lesson so when the test comes around, all I have to do is review the material instead of trying to learn it fresh.

3. This week I have triumphed in the labs. We got our lab done efficiently even though we messed up. We learned to problem solve and worry less about time. I have also triumphed in getting my lab report done early instead of the night its due.

4. this week I triumphed by completing my homework on time and taking good notes in class. I was able to do this by increasing my attention span and making sure I understand every part of the lesson. I was able to do my work ahead of time and not procrastinate.

5. This week I triumphed by getting all my homework done and getting my assignments done with. I was able to do this by setting aside time to do the assignments instead of waiting until the last day.

6. This week I triumphed with my understanding of the material. I have done well this week to write good notes and understand what has been taught in class. It has made my week easier because I understand what we are talking about in class.

7. This week I did well on learning and understanding the new material we learned in class. This is because I took good notes that I would go back and review everyday making the material fresh on my brain and easy to understand.

8. This week I triumphed on understanding the new material and completing my homework on time. I did well on this because I paid attention in class and made sure I did not wait till the last minute to do my homework.

9. My triumph this week was my A on my chem test. I didn’t think I had made an A. I was very happy because I spent a lot of time studying for that test. I’ve also been turning in all my homework and all my assignments on time.

10. In 2023, only 91 shark attacks occurred, with only 10 of those being fatal and only 22 being provoked (meaning the humans initiated interaction). Even though the 10 fatal attacks are more than there were last year, in a historical perspective, shark bites fatalities are actually decreasing, continuing to prove the point that sharks do not see humans as prey.