Chemistry 11-3-22 Chemical Names & Formulas

CHEMISTRY: Great job learning to name binary ionic compounds – and even beginning to write formulas!

Speaking of formulas, what is your plan for all the memorization in this chapter? Word of warning – don’t wait to the last minute!!

Super important – the secret for the next few days and this entire chapter is DON’T GET BEHIND! Keep up with me and practice, practice, practice!

58 thoughts on “Chemistry 11-3-22 Chemical Names & Formulas

1. In the article I read, it was talking about an experiment tested by a scientist where he injected 40 hookworms into his skin to see what they could do for the immune system and body. The results showed to painful effects, and the worms actually could help adapt the body. Since they don’t want to leave the host, they can spread immune cells to make the immune system stronger. There’s also experiments being run on whether they can help people with diabetes, to lower the sugar in their body, with mentions that it could help people with asthma and other immune diseases. Though these scary worms seem like the last thing we would want in our bodies, they might be able to help create a vaccine for various diseases.
    Source: https://www.snexplores.org/article/parasitic-worms-alter-body-inflammation-immune-system-treatment

2. Scientists have recently found these mountains that contain a rock mineral that isn’t anywhere on the surface. After researching more with the minerals they have discovered that the rocks can trap carbon dioxide and other gases that are contributors to global warming. Although, they can’t even contain up to 25% of all of the carbon dioxide that humans make a year, eventually when more are discovered (which there have been) they can set up global warming for almost 500 years!
    https://www.snexplores.org/article/carbon-dioxide-turned-into-stone-save-earth-climate-change

3. Have you ever wondered how giant pumkins get as big as they do? Well, scientists have figured out that giant pumpkins have a huge amount of vascular tissue in the stem of the pumpkin. Pumpkins use xylems and phloem to help move water throughout the plant. So because of this huge amount of vascular tissue, the stem produces more xylems and phloem that carries more food and water to the body of the plant, which makes it larger but because of earth’s gravity causes to cave into itself.

Credit: https://www.snexplores.org/article/heres-how-giant-pumpkins-get-so-big

4. Recently scientists have discovered that athletes mental health has a direct affect on their performance. Researchers have been doing a mindfulness study, in which they track how well athletes focus during pre-season training. After finding a baseline, the researchers divided athletes in different groups to help them find what they could need. For example, some athletes received relaxation exercises while some received meditation. It is shown that this helped both performance and mental health of the athletes.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/athlete-mental-health-mindfulness-psychology-elite-olympics

5. One hundred years ago, Howard Carter had found the tomb of King Tutankhamun’s and still today researchers are finding more about this discovery . Carter had accidentally found his tomb on November 24 and since then new information has been found out. Like how Tut may haven’t been a fragile boy who hurt his foot but that it was actually his weak immune system that actually killed him. Or how Egyptian officials tried to erase and hid King Tut’s name. King Tut’s tomb was also rushed because of how he died so young and unexpectedly. His tomb had already had a lot of riches imagine what his tomb would be like if it wasn’t rushed. We have learned about King Tut and still today we are learning new about him even though he died thousands of years ago.

6. One hundred years ago, Howard Carter had found the tomb of King Tutankhamun’s and still today researchers are finding more about this discovery . Carter had accidentally found his tomb on November 24 and since then new information has been found out. Like how Tut may haven’t been a fragile boy who hurt his foot but that it was actually his weak immune system that actually killed him. Or how Egyptian officials tried to erase and hid King Tut’s name. King Tut’s tomb was also rushed because of how he died so young and unexpectedly. His tomb had already had a lot of riches imagine what his tomb would be like if it wasn’t rushed. We have learned about King Tut and still today we are learning new about him even though he died thousands of years ago.
    Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/king-tut-tutankhamun-tomb-discovery-archaeology

7. I read an article on how polar bears get traction on snow. Based on the article, microstructures on the polar bears’ paws provide friction to keep them from slipping on the snow. In comparison to other bears, polar bears have taller bumps on their paw pads which offer more resistance. Their paw pads are also smaller and surrounded with fur. All of these characteristics provide the bears with the traction they need to keep from slipping.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/polar-bear-paws-traction-snow-microstructures-friction

8. In the article I read I learned that some lakes around the world are turning less blue and more of a brown/green color due to climate change. Lakes in areas with 19°C or lower temperature are much more likely to be a blue color than lakes in areas with hotter summers. During the study of this process, scientists found that up to 14% of the lakes in the study were close to this 19° marking. So, if the average summer in these areas increases by 3°C, this 14% would all turn the green/brown color. This means that people could lose some of the resources that they value such as water, food, and recreation.
    Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/climate-change-lake-color-blue-green-brown

9. I researched the science behind putting a baby to sleep. Babies are more likely to fall asleep when their heart rate is slowed. Their mothers should not make any quick movements or try to put their baby down because it makes the baby’s heart rate go up.

10. It’s crazy how these tiny worms called hookworms can crawl into your body through your skin and suck your blood without you even knowing. Scientists and researchers say that people can be injected with these things safely for experiments though. It must be less than 100 of them because if you have more than 100 of them in your body at once then there would be bad consequences. Less than 100 can sometimes be beneficial.

11. It’s crazy how these tiny worms called hookworms can crawl into your body through your skin and suck your blood without you even knowing. Scientists and researchers say that people can be injected with these things safely for experiments though. It must be less than 100 of them because if you have more than 100 of them in your body at once then there would be bad consequences. Less than 100 can sometimes be beneficial.

12. In the article I read, Earth’s global temperature is drastically increasing directly influencing the melting of ice and habitats for polar bears. Therefore, the last refuge for a small number of polar bears has been fjords of Greenland although it would only be temporary. In addition, new research have emerged over certain genetic variations between polar bears. The research presented evidence of different polar bears shared a common ancestor 200 years ago that “kept to itself.” Finally, the threat of global warming increasing suggest the extinction of polar bears unless something is not changed.

• In the article I read, Earth’s global temperature is drastically increasing directly influencing the melting of ice and habitats for polar bears. Therefore, the last refuge for a small number of polar bears has been fjords of Greenland although it would only be temporary. In addition, new research have emerged over certain genetic variations between polar bears. The research presented evidence of different polar bears shared a common ancestor 200 years ago that “kept to itself.” Finally, the threat of global warming increasing suggest the extinction of polar bears unless something is not changed.

Reply

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/polar-bear-greeland-sea-ice-glacial-melange-climate-change

13. From the year 2019-2020 the death rate from alcohol increase 26% during covid. The deaths came from alcoholic liver disease and mental behavior. This lead to some people with liver disease to the hospital for liver transplants.

14. In the article that I read Black Death strand ERAP2 is hurting us more in the modern day. Back when the bubonic plague was infecting Europeans it left the people with the ERAP2 genes alone and now that gene is common and a contributing factor in getting chrome disease.

15. In the article that I read Black Death strand ERAP2 is hurting us more in the modern day. Back when the bubonic plague was infecting Europeans it left the people with the ERAP2 genes alone and now that gene is common and a contributing factor in getting chrome disease.

16. Did you know that bridges with high cell phone usage are more fortified than those that are not? Smartphones act like mobile integrity sensors that are already in place. Smartphones have Accelerometers and GPS sensors that are collecting data throughout your day, while you’re on a bridge data is collected about how bridges flex and vibrate. Apps that give builders and overseers of these bridges these much-needed facts are used to save bridges and save lives. Most bridges are checked every year or every other year. Anything can happen at any time, so smartphones are a very useful guide while being a lifesaving tool.

Source:
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/crowdsource-cell-phone-data-bridges-safe

17. This week I researched about mountain lions being pushed out by wildfires are taking more risks. Before the wildfire in California back in 2018 mountain lions wanted nothing to do with humans. After the wild fire they come out more in the daytime and even cross roads more. Scientists had put collars around the lions neck to see how they would react. The lions before the fire would rather get burned than come near a human. But now, the lion would try to not get burned even if it meant coming near a human.
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mountain-lions-wildfires-risks-road-crossing

18. Today I researched how Vikings lived in North America around the year 1021. Because scientist have been counting tree rings, it revealed wooden objects were made in the North America region during the year of 1021. Right now researchers are attempting to find out the precise dates on other settlements in the region to find out if the Vikings may have lived here even earlier.
    Source:
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/vikings-north-america-date-newfoundland

19. Today I read about how we still have more to discover about kings tuts tomb. I read how todays technology even point to that king tut the young pharaoh was indeed not fragile and was actually a strong pharaoh that fought in wars. And the walking cabins found were to show power and not pain. I also read how the finding of king fits tomb was a rushed job and that if we went back and did it again now we would find a lot more stuff. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/king-tut-tutankhamun-tomb-discovery-archaeology

20. A team of research’s have been studying mars and while studying mars, they have found out that there are a few temblors on the planet, therefore leading them to think under the Mars’s surface, there might be magma moving to cause these temblors. With this discovery about mars, scientists believe that mars might be a dynamic place and not a dead planet, however, scientists have only scratched the surface of mars for now.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mars-quakes-volcanic-activity-planet-nasa-insight

21. One thing that I struggle with in chemistry this year is not giving myself enough time to study. I am going to start looking at the test info sheet for the test earlier than the day before to make flashcards so I will be able to study them over a span of a few days rather than just one night.

22. I struggle a ton with procrastination in chemistry. I also do not get all my assignments done when they need to be done. I am going make it a priority to check the syllabus every single night to see if there is an assignment or stuff to study instead of playing on my phone.

23. One thing I struggle with in chemistry is waiting till the last minute to study for quizzes and test. One way I am going to improve my study habits is looking at the syllabus and making note about future test and quizzes in advance so then I will be able to start studying sooner. I am also going to look at the test info sheet so that I know exactly what is going to be on the test and I can be fully prepared.

24. In chemistry I struggle with finishing labs on time. I usually stress about it too much and I spend too much time making sure I am doing everything correctly. To overcome this struggle, I can take more time to review the labs before class and I can try to work a little faster on the next lab.

25. In chemistry, I struggle with staying focused when I’m studying. In the future I will put away all distractions and try to focus on learning the material I need to learn.

26. So far this week I have only struggled with memorizing the polyatomic ions. Though it took me awhile to remember each one, I helped myself by writing down the ions over and over, and continually reviewing myself, which helped me get a good grade on the quiz.

27. This week I struggled with learning the polyatomic ions. I really struggled with learning the numbers that go along with each formula. I also really struggled with all the makeup work I still have from missing a week of school. In the near future I’m going to start memorizing things before it’s too late and I get stressed out about them.

28. This week I struggled with time distribution and working ahead. I know that I would rather spend time outside of school not working on chemistry, so I should work harder during the time I have during study hall to get chemistry learned and done. This can help me, since I could go to bed earlier and not worry about deadlines.

29. This week I struggled with memorizing and remembering the polyatomic ions for the quiz. I learned them all but then I forgot them and got distracted when I should have known them better.

30. This week I have been struggling with memorizing the polyatomic ions and learning how to write the formulas. Also with time management.