Chemistry 10-18-22 Classification of Matter

CHEMISTRY: Here’s a mixture that looks like it might be worth investigating – bacon caramel popcorn! I mean, I like bacon and I like caramel popcorn, but bacon caramel popcorn? Hmmmm….

So now that you know about mixtures, could you figure out how to separate one? Keep these notes handy!

flickr photo by joyosity

30 thoughts on “Chemistry 10-18-22 Classification of Matter

1. This week I struggled with identifying different mixtures and pure substances. In earlier science classes, I don’t think it was fully explained to my acknowledgement the difference between the two and their definitions. To overcome this, I will more than likely write it down several times, and use games and other study activities to see examples of the differences and to get it known by the test and next lab.

2. If I had to rate my chapter 1 test I would give it four stars out of five. I would study the same way, but change my approach on the test. First, I would make sure that instead of saying the Bunsen Burner evaporated, I would say the water evaporated. Second, I would read my discussion questions from the perspective that I knew nothing of the subject and was being introduced to it for the first time. This would help clarify my thoughts.

3. For the chapter 1 test I would rate myself a 4/5. I gave myself 4 stars because I used the time I had wisely and got to check over my whole test. However, one thing I want to try and improve on are my discussion questions. I seem to know the content I just need to answer every part of the question.

4. Saturn’s rings and tilt have changed due to its moon. Over time, Saturn’s moon has moved away from the planet causing its tilt to be more dramatic and more rings to appear.

5. If had to rate my self on the chapter 1 test I would give myself 4/5. I would give my self a 4 because I managed my time well and was able to reread the test but I need to work on my discussion questions. I know the material but have to work on explaining my answers.

6. On the chapter 1 test I would rate myself 2/5. In retrospect I should’ve studied some more, and made sure that I fully understood the material. One thing I want to improve is to not just know the material, but be able to apply it.

7. Scientists have found a way to lull a crying baby to sleep, which has made it much easier for all the moms and dads out there. Research proves that carrying a crying baby can lower its heart rate tremendously.

8. Food infected with fungi can be a very harmful to our health. Fungi produce toxins called mycotoxins that not only spoil our food but also make us sick. Aflatoxins are one of the most dangerous types of mycotoxins that can cause liver cancer and other serious health problems to humans. Özgür Bayram of Maynooth University in Ireland says that fungi is a silent enemy because when food is infected with fungi people do not often realize it and still end up eating the contaminated food which leads them to become seriously ill. Bayram and his colleagues have identified a group of proteins responsible for starting the production of mycotoxins. They genetically rewired the fungus to delete each protein instead of creating one. Bayram’s research is just one of several ways that researchers are using genetic engineering to try to remove these toxins in foods.

Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/aspergillus-fungi-mycotoxins-aflatoxin-food-contamination

9. This week I struggled with spelling elements correctly. I spelled one wrong while studying, causing me to spell this element wrong on our quiz. Next time, I will make sure my spelling is correct before studying.

10. I researched an experiment that scientists in Chantanika, Alaska did to see how noctilucent clouds are formed. Noctilucent clouds are clouds that seem to glow and reflect light from the sun. Scientists filled a “Super Soaker Rocket” with water and blasted it into the air. The rocket exploded at 85 kilometers and they could vaguely see where the cloud was formed. They concluded that when at these altitudes, water vapor can cool the air enough to create those chilly, wet clouds. This experiment helps scientists to ascertain how to deal with climate change and its progression.
    Source:
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/night-cloud-noctilucent-nasa-super-soaker

11. Recently shearwaters in Japan have been caught flying towards the eye of storms instead of away from them. Many birds and other animals in this area have adopted strategies to survive deadly storms. A few studies using GPS trackers has shown that some birds take massive detours to avoid these storms. With this information combined with the wind speeds during these storms, shearwaters have been found in the ocean when the storms blew in. Scientists have a few predictions on how these birds behave. They believe that during stronger storms, shearwaters head towards the eye of the storm. This suggests they may be following the eye to avoid being push on land, where they have a higher risk of crashing or being hit by debris.
    Source : https://www.sciencenews.org/article/seabirds-typhoons-shearwaters-survival

12. This week I researched how fungi makes toxin that contaminate food. Some fungi produce toxic chemicals called mycotoxins that can make humans sick. Another toxin called Aflatoxins can cause also cause liver cancer. Fungi can be very dangerous thing, so we monitor what fungus we take into our body.

13. Mycotoxins in fungi spoil food and makes people sick. These fungus ruin a third of every crops per year. Bayram and his team are at a good start, however, they say, they’re is still a challenge to understand these fungi.