Physics 11-17-16 Work & Energy

PHYSICS: Funny thing about words, all this work you thought you’d been doing, was it work after all?

Great job today on making connections between work and energy! I think you’ll like using the work-energy theorem, it’ll save you some time and a couple of steps. Don’t forget about friction!

Physics 11-17-16 Work & Energy from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by *hb19

5 thoughts on “Physics 11-17-16 Work & Energy

1. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 for this week. The reason my score is a little lower is because though I feel like I was adequately prepared for the test, I made silly mistakes. I noticed the mistake in the astronaut problem as soon as I walked out of the door. Because I did not manage my time very wisely during the test and think each question through thoroughly, I am rating myself a little lower than usual. Also, I really enjoyed work today, and I think I can understand the concept well enough; however, on the actual math problems, I may need a little more practice.

2. I give myself a four out if five stars for this week. I worked very hard in preparing for the test this week. I did the forces review problems twice after i got them right (which took multiple tries) just to make sure I knew how to do them. I also did other problems we had for homework again. I also reviewed my notes to study conceptual things. Even if my test grade is not an A, I still give myself 4 stars because I tried my best on it and felt well prepared.

3. This week would give myself 3 out of 5 stars. This week was pretty successful except for my test. I did very well on the forces review worksheet, only missing one problem. This lead me to believe that I did not need to practice anymore word problems. I spent most of my time on conceptual stuff, and I ended up not getting one of the problems right that I should have known. The tings that I did good on this week where the energy and work problems. Most of these made sense to me, and I only misunderstood two.

4. This week, I am going to give myself a 1 out of 5. The week started with us presenting our Newton’s Law Photography Project, which I feel pretty confident about. I believe that I was able to successfully demonstrate Newton’s First Law in an easy to understand way. After Monday, I kinda crashed and burned. The Forces Review Worksheet was a struggle in that it took me forever to complete it. Though I was able to correctly solve the majority of the problems on my own, I was not able to do so in a realistic amount of time. When each problem should have been taking me around five minutes, they were taking me twenty and thirty minutes. Well, Wednesday came and I felt semi-ok after taking the test. I had prepared for the conceptual work and the problems by re-watching vodcasts and working problems. For the next two days, I struggled to understand work and energy. At this point, I feel like a deer in headlights. Though the concepts have been thoroughly explained, they are so muddled and jumbled in my head that I cannot make heads nor tails of them. In regards to the test we got back today, I was just okay with it. Honestly, I shouldn’t be okay with it, but I have come to anticipate bad test grades. I am still struggling with how to successfully take an honors physics test. Overall, this week was an utter flop for me. Hopefully, next week will be better.

5. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5. I did great this week. The force problems really clicked for me early this week, which allowed me do great on the test. Although this was a great success, I did have a few struggles. I’m having a hard time understanding the basis behind some of the work problems, but I feel that with time, I will come to understand them well.