Physics 11-4-16 Friction & Forces on an Incline Problems Review

PHYSICS: Girl on a sled coasts down a hill, box is pushed up a hill… Is it starting to make a little more sense? Especially after the awesome guest lecturers we had today? Thanks Hannah and Patrick for your help with #40!!

I thought a look at a couple other problems might be helpful, so below today’s vodcast of #40 and 36, I put a vodcast from last year with problems #46 and 48.

Here’s the thing. You can watch me or someone else do a thousand problems (okay, maybe not a thousand – but a lot!), and it won’t help. That’s what today was about. I don’t want you to copy what I do, I want you copy why I’m doing it. Make sense? You’re getting it…keep sledding and watch out for net forces!

Physics 11-4-16 Friction & Forces on an Incline Problems Review from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flick photo by Eva the Weaver

PHYSICS 11-10-14 Friction & Forces on an Incline Problems Review from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by darkmatter

6 thoughts on “Physics 11-4-16 Friction & Forces on an Incline Problems Review

1. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 for this week. Even though we had to keep testing multiple times to get the correct percent error, our lab design for finding the coefficient of friction worked very well. We included the extra dimensions and were able to keep it under the maximum percent error. My terminal velocity lab is working out very well, and I really enjoy my Science in the News for this week. All in all, it was a relaxing break from the normal stresses of inclines and forces!

2. This week, I am going to give myself a 2 out of 5. On Wednesday, my group began the arduous task of finding the coefficient of friction for wood on wood. We started the lab with a good deal of confidence, which soon evaporated. Upon trying to being the lab, we found ourself grasping for ideas on what to do. By the end of the lab, we had found a way of doing the lab. This being said, we soon decided against this method of performing the lab. All in all, I am extremely confused and am not sure what to do. Hopefully, I will be able to figure out this lab on my own in the near future when I perform it.

3. I give myself a three out of five stars this week. The lab in class this week was quite a struggle. My lab partners and I had an idea wednesday for the lab, but performing it in real life was much different than on paper. We ran into many problems and had to go back to the drawing board. On thursday we had a better plan, but it was still rough. We would go through the entire lab and be way off. The first time we ended up with 50% error. We then changed something in the lab we thought was effecting the outcome and redid it. We ended up having to work through lunch, but we finally got 1.1% error after many trials. It was probably the most I’ve ever struggled on carrying out a lab up to this point. This week has taught me that the first plan is definitely not going to be the last in creating an experiment.

4. I would give myself a 3 out of 5 for this week. For the lab my group and I found the coefficient of friction with a reasonable percent error, but we could not figure out how to use an applied force. Also this week I planned on practicing more force problems, but I never got around to it, so I plan on doing some this weekend. The one thing I did well in this week was adapting to the challenges of the lab.

5. This week, I had a huge challenge in the lab Wednesday. I knew how to do the lab, but we couldn’t keep our results away from outside influences, such as rough patches on the board, to get the right percent error. We finally overcame this by going a shorter distance, thus giving us less space to hit rough patches. This lab give me a lot of trouble, but it gave me so much insight into how friction actually works in the real world.