Hon Chemistry 5-7-24 Ionic vs. Covalent Bonds & Metallic Bonds

HON CHEMISTRY: Molten iron, wow! Here’s our review of drawing ionic bonds and our discussion of ionic vs. covalent bonding, followed by metallic bonding.

Aren’t you glad there are no structures to draw for metallic bonds?! Make sure you can use the electron sea model to explain the properties of metals. Also be able to compare and contrast all three types of bonds.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 5-7-24 Ionic vs. Covalent Bonds & Metallic Bonds

1. 1. Chemistry grew me this year in a lot of ways. First it helped me to learn how to actually prepare ahead of time for class (I used to not do that at all), it helped me learn how to take notes faster, and it helped me learn how to actually study (which I did not really know how to do before this class). Other than all the academic ways this class has helped me, it has also helped me spiritually. Through this class I have gotten closer to God and have become to feel more comfortable asking him for help and guidance. It has given me opportunities to be patient, and opportunities to grow as a better person who is also less hard on themselves.
    2. My advice for future chemistry students is to appreciate every moment. Every moment is a chance for you to grow in any and all areas of your life. Apply what you learn to your everyday life. Allow yourself to make mistakes. Most importantly, work with your fellow classmates and try to get closer with them. Yes, chemistry can be a challenging class, but you aren’t in it alone.
    3. Nothing really comes to my mind, other than maybe having more interactive labs because they always helped me understand a concept better. My favorite part of learning chemistry were the lectures, but those are already great and don’t need to be changed.

2. 1.“How did chemistry grow me? What did I learn about myself?”
    Chemistry grew me in learning how to function under many conditions. With sports, other classes, family, ect. I had to be creative when/where I would do work and study. Some of the weird places I studied in were buses, cars, the beach, hiding during hide n seek, and from 6 pm to 6 am. I learned that I can overcome my physical body to study if I pace it out right. Chemistry helped me grow acclimated to different places and times to study. Overall, honors chemistry pushed me and helped me grow to be determined. Sacrifices had to be made and were in order to study/achieve academic goals. This class taught me about setting aside your time and making your priorities in life. I prioritized school and this class and would say I did well/ learned well.
    2.“What advice would I give?”
    I would say DO NOT EVER CHEAT. Actually doing your work instead of copying or cheating will benefit you. The homework and worksheets are meant to help. Not only is it the right thing to do, by doing your own work will allow you to mentally understand it better. There is not one assignment that I regret taking my time and doing myself. I learned more from doing wrong and asking questions than not doing anything at all. I would also say to be the annoying kid that asks questions. I asked plenty of dumb and weird questions, but it’s better to semi understand what is happening during the lecture than not know anything. There is probably someone with the same question as you. Also, understand you will cry and be stressed and go through emotions like a rollercoaster. Yet, you will be pushed farther than you think, so suck it up and do it anyways.
    3.“What could we have done differently this year to help learn chemistry better?”
    We probably should have done more help sessions or had more peer review. It could be just me, but I never wanted to ask for peer help when I probably needed it. We also could have done more labs. I found that labs helped me understand chemistry much better than before. Overall, I cried A LOT over this class but also had the most fun in this class. I don’t regret spending hours every night/weekend over chemistry because it showed me a love and ache for learning especially in STEM. I would like to thank both Mrs. Skinner and Jackie for yalls teaching, time, effort, support, and skill you’ve handed off to me.

3. How did chemistry grow me

Throughout my journey through honors chemistry, I learned how to be organized, efficient, and knowledgeable. I had to gain organization skills in the second quarter because I would miss webposts, forget to do homework, and forget how to turn things in. I knew if I wanted to boost my grade, I would have to lock in. My first test was a flop because I did not know how to properly manage my time. As the year went by, my test grades went up pretty linearly. Now my only problem is reading the question and understanding what it says. I became more knowledgable in the sense of presenting that knowledge. I became quite good with my application questions on tests. Now I make almost perfect scores on each one ( the last one was a fluke because i forgot the EM spectrum). I know that these skills I have produced in chemistry will help me next year in my honors A&P journey.

What Advice do you have for future students?

One thing I shall tell my friends in 8th grade currently is to not be an idiot. I’ll tell them “Mrs Skinner is a cool cat until you do something she says explicitly not to do”. I’ll also tell them to not put glowing hot MgO into a weigh boat and stand around looking at the weigh boat combust (Tate). My final advice is to take tests seriously. All year I have not really tried my all to get that coveted star and now I have to pay for that. I would tell them to passively review over difficult topics. For example make orbitals and exciting of electrons into jokes then they will stick with you (Thats why I made a decent grade on that test). Also challenge your peers. That has always been the best way for maximum progression in human society. For example, we developed spacetravel to and from the moon on 4kb of ram (16000 words) because we wanted to 1 up the soviets. Imagine what you could do if a peer challenged you.

What could I have done better this year that would have helped me learn chemistry better?

As I have stated before, I wish I was more serious about my grades and homework. I wish I could have told myself in the past to lock in and actually review over what we have learned. I would have told myself that if i would do otherwise, I would greatly regret it. One more thing that I wish I could tell my past self is my passive review method and complete analysis of the questions before me. That would have most definitely earned me a star or two (especially on lab safety). I also wish that I kept up with my assignment pad habit. Then I would not have forgotten any homework.

*I will miss chemistry and all the fun and exhausting times we had. From lab goofs to absolute rage when someone makes fun of you for having a better grade than you. From complaining about homework to wondering why we have no homework. To submitting your lost project a day before its due to submitting it 2 minutes before it’s due. I will miss the goofy text convos we have and Joshua’s instigation techniques. I know Mrs. Skinner will enjoy not having our constant talking as a class (Although I’ll be gone next year, I’ll be back for physics, Mrs Skinner)!*

Sayonara Chemistry, Its been a heck of a ride!

A Faulk HC4… Signing off.

4. 1. I grew in chemistry in a few different ways this year. My brain was stretched a good deal and I learned how to apply science more than I have in any other science class I’ve ever had. I still struggle with it at times, but I am definitely better at discussions and applications on the topics we have learned. I also feel like I have grown in my responsibility for my own learning. I have messed up with this a few times this year, but the way that we were responsible for researching topics on our own taught me to put in more effort in my own learning. I feel like chemistry has also taught me about my work ethic and priorities. I don’t think I have ever had to work so hard in a class before (besides math, but that is because it makes no sense) to understand and do my best. I learned how to prioritize multiple assignments over multiple classes and get them done well.
    2. My advice for future chemistry students is to slow down and take a breath. I remember when we were entering honors chemistry and upperclassmen were telling us that it is the hardest class ever and that we were about to say goodbye to good grades and a life outside of homework. I was terrified going into this class, and as the year went on I realized that they were wrong. True, chemistry is a very hard class and you do have to spend more time on assignments and studying than you need to in other classes, but none of us have died. I think it is important to know that they will be ok, the hard work that will be put in and the time sacrificed will be worth it. It is more important to learn and take it slow than worrying about the 17 homework problems due tomorrow. And most importantly, its ok if you don’t make an A on that test/lab, you will be ok.
    3. One thing that would have been beneficial to me would be more practice with Mrs. Skinner in class. I think I understood the problems and how to show my work so much better when we grabbed boards and markers and worked the problems together, with Mrs. Skinner checking them. I know it is time consuming, but I feel like I understood how to do it so much better. I also learned better when we were doing the call and responses, instead of you showing us how to do it. When we were called on individually I started to think more in depth about the problem, partly because I didn’t want to answer incorrectly in front of the class, but it was effective in that I had to think through the problem.

5. 1. Chemistry grew me this year by teaching me not only new information but also how I need to study to succeed. I learned a lot about how my brain works and how I personally need to study and work to best benefit me.
    2. I advise future chemistry students to work hard and to always set aside time for homework and studying. I also recommend future students to be very active in class discussions and to always ask lots of questions.
    3. This year I could have studied more and been even more active in class discussions. I also wish I had attended way more help sessions so that I didn’t feel unprepared for an upcoming test or quiz.

6. 1. Chemistry grew me in many ways this year. One of the many was teaching how to really memorize and retain information not just for the short term but to keep it memorized through an entire year. This year taught me how to actually study for tests and that if I don’t then I won’t get the result that I want no matter how well I think I know the information. I was able to learn how to take faster notes that I could still understand afterward. I learned better time management as I had to balance sports with academics and make sure that I didn’t put my extra things over my need to actually learn. I learned that I really could lock in and focus on something if I put away distractions and didn’t stress about things because I did them in a manageable time frame.
    2. I would tell future chemistry students to not let what everyone says about the class get to them if you really pay attention to the notes and do your homework you won’t do terribly in the class. I would also tell them that if they are used to procrastination they need to set aside a purposeful time that they set aside to do their homework or to study for the upcoming tests. I would tell them not to stress too much about the test as it will only hurt them when they actually take them. All in all, don’t listen to the narrative and take the class one step at a time.
    3. This year I could have improved by setting aside more time before tests to study. I would set aside a small portion of my time but not enough to actually learn enough information and would often be distracted. I also could have done better if hadn’t used my homework and paid closer attention to details that came back to bite me later when I had them on the test.

7. 1. Chemistry help me grow in many aspects, First being in studying, I leaned how to study for test and all different ways. Also chemistry has help me see my weakness and strengths. As a person it has help me grow into a more responsible person because I have learn the importance of time management and how to stay organized with my work and being accountable for thing. My favorite thing about a honor class is the challenge and my main goal in the class is not to a A but is to have to put in work and effort. The challenge and hardness is what kept me motivated in this class.
    2. To the future students, Chemistry is not a easy class, it was going to take your all and test you at every level you can possibly think of, Even though it seems like a bad thing it is not. You will grow so much in every aspect of you life being academics and even personal life. Do not give up on yourself, even though it seems like a impossible class, it really isn’t, You are lucky to have the one of the most talented, brilliant teacher to teach this class and trust me, you will pass. You will also learn that not having a A average or being a straight A student is okay. You have to learn to take the mistakes and learn from them and not cry and complain about it.
    3. Procrastination. I wished I had stopped procrastinating in this class. I feel like because of it I could only perform and give this class my bare minimum. This is because I learn things only when it gets to me and actually have an effect on me. I know that if I had not procrastinated, I would have Aced this class.