Hon Chemistry 10-27-22 Binary Ionic Compounds Formulas & Names

HON CHEMISTRY: Great start on writing and naming chemical formulas! What’d you think? Do-able? Absolutely!!

Today we concentrated on binary ionic compounds today with a short look at compounds with polyatomic ions. We’ll go kind of slow to begin with, but make sure to take time to practice, practice, practice, and learn it step by step. You’ll be as lost as ball in high weeds if you let yourself get behind!

flickr photo by ludie cochrane

13 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 10-27-22 Binary Ionic Compounds Formulas & Names

1. A deeper thinking question I’ve had this week is what would happen if 2 ions of the same charge were somehow put together. So far, I can’t find out if this is even possible. I don’t think it would be possible because they would repel each other with such great force. If somehow we were able to use a particle accelerator to throw these ions at each other fast enough so that they collided, I’d imagine that unthinkable amounts of energy would be released. Many laws would be broken.

2. Would a 100g ball on a 10m hill or a 10g ball on a hill of the same height have more potential energy? The 100g ball would have more potential energy because it has more mass, and potential energy is calculated by mass x gravity x height.

3. My question about chapter one is why is a plasma considered a state of matter? Normal states of matter change when heat is absorbed and released from a substance. The same is true with plasma, but on a way larger scale. When an extremely large amount of heat is added to a gas, the gas’s electrons are torn from the nucleus, thus creating ions, thus creating plasma.

4. My question is can plasma change into other states of matter. I would assume that since plasma is just super charged gas that it would change if you changed the electrons to their normal state. I doubt plasma could change to a liquid or solid because when you cool the plasma it would lose its charge.

5. My question about chapter 1 is about potential energy, like a same-sized hill, but with 2 different sized balls. The ball that has more mass would have more potential energy, because potential energy’s formula is mass x height x gravity.

6. What type of mixture would blood be? Although blood appears to be the same throughout, like a homogeneous mixture, it is not. Blood is composed of different substances that you can only truly see through a microscope. Because of this, it is considered a heterogenous mixture.

7. Why is burning considered a chemical reaction? Burning a substance is a chemical change because a heat and light are produced, the color of the substance changes, and the substance changes. For example, when fire is put to paper, it immediately reaches its ignition point and catches on fire. The paper releases heat and light from the fire. The paper changes to black then turns to ash.

8. A deeper thinking question I had from chapter one is why does boiling a liquid solution separate the two components? Wouldn’t the energy being added boil some of both solutions, and then they would not separate? Additionally, would not a trace remainder of one of the liquids still be in the other? The answer to those questions is this: when energy is added to a liquid solution, it is distributed evenly inside of the solution. Because of this, the liquid with the lowest boiling point is always boiled off first, and the one with the higher boiling point does not boil until all of the lower boiling point liquid is gone.

9. My question is how can elements have metal and nonmetal characteristics? Metal and nonmetal characteristics seem to be opposite of each other. But elements can have both metal and nonmetal characteristics by being a metalloid. For example, an element could be a solid but not as malleable as a regular metal.

10. A question I have from chapter 1 is why is water considered a pure substance and not a mixture? Water is a compound which falls under the pure substance category because in order to separate water you must use an electrolysis. This process is considered a chemical separation which only pure substances can be separated by chemical means. Also there is no way to separate water by physical means, meaning it can not be a mixture.

11. My question from this chapter would be even though there is water in the cup, why doesn’t the cup burn and the water just fall through. I found the answer to my question was the water inside the cup made it so that the paper had the same ignition point as the cup, even though they are technically two separate objects.

12. My deep question for this week is do we know all of the elements in the universe? The answer is we know all stable isotopes that are found in our solar system. However, there could be other elements in other parts of the universe. This is unlikely however, because it would mean the laws of physics would be different in those parts of the universe.

13. My question is what are the properties of a metalloids. Metalloids have the properties of both metals and solids