Physics 1-5-17 Impulse-Momentum Theorem

PHYSICS So that’s why you need good running shoes! Here’s the lecture from today on the intro to momentum and the impulse-momentum theorem. Did you understand the relationship between force and time? Let’s see if you can put it to practice tomorrow!

Have you looked at the syllabus? It may be really important – especially as pertains to future endeavors! 🙂

Physics 1-5-17 Impulse-Momentum Theorem from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

Image sourece www.dhss.mo.gov/…/Images/momentum.jpg

6 thoughts on “Physics 1-5-17 Impulse-Momentum Theorem

1. I rate myself a 4 out of 5 stars for this week. Even though it’s been a short week, we have done a lot! The design challenge on Wednesday was very interesting and allowed some of us to learn how to be flexible with our experimentation (not particularly my group, though). Even though our OG 2.0 crane did not lift the most weight, most of our first design helped the other team to win. Learning today about momentum and how it is affected by force and time allowed me to make so many connections of physics to real-life situations. For example, I learned how padding increases the time a hockey puck is hitting the goalie so that the force on the goalie is decreased. And, lastly, we get to come together for a second design challenge tomorrow! Hopefully, it will go egg-cellently.

2. I give myself a 4 out of 5 this week. On Wednesday, we did a design challenge. I applied what I have learned from previous design challenges to build a working crane with my group. We then had to learn how to be flexible because we had to move to the other groups design. We ended up building our original design, but it was more difficult because some of the supplies were unusable from the previous design. We then learned about momentum today. I learned that if the velocity in a system cannot be changed and force needs to be increased, time needs to be decreased. This is because of the impulse momentum theorem. Tomorrow we will do the egg drop landing pad design challenge. We will have to do some eggs-travagant thinking to get through this challenge!

3. Since this week was not a long one, I will allow myself the small pleasure and once in a year opportunity to rate myself a 5 out of 5 for the past two days. I was ready with syllabus in hand and new paper in the binder on Wednesday. As well, I think the guys team in the design challenge did incredible. We faced our challenge and met it; then proceeded to lift way more than we thought we could. Today, I actually understood momentum quite well, and the homework went smoothly. Hopefully this pace keeps up tomorrow during the landing pad challenge. I’m excited for chapter 6 because so far, it’s been pretty interesting!

4. I would rate myself a 5 out of 5 for this week because I succeeded at everything I did. We really did not have the chance to do much since we were only at school for two days. Our group did well on the design challenge. We adapted well to the switch and built upon the other group’s design. I also did well an the homework. I was able to answer all the questions without any problems.

5. For probably the first and last time this year, I am going to give myself a 5/5. I came to class prepared on Wednesday with a newly organized binder and a killer plan for the Design Challenge. I believe that my team did an incredible job with the materials we were allowed, though we did not win. On Thursday, I was able to quickly catch on to the concept of momentum and the homework went rather smoothly. Though today did not go egg-xactly as planned, I am confident that we will be able to conquer the egg drop on Monday. Overall, it was a very productive and successful two days.