Physics 10-27-16 Newton’s 2nd & 3rd Laws

PHYSICS: So an object at rest can be at equilibrium, but what about an object that is moving? And how does equilibrium relate to Newton’s first law? Or Newton’s second law? And what if you don’t have balanced forces. Here’s the lecture from today on just that! Now remind me, net forces produce what?

Oh, and while we’re at it, you’d rather hit a hay stack than a brick wall why?

(Thanks, Karen and Blake – and all, for being great volunteers!)

And, for your viewing pleasure, enlightenment and overall edification – Julius Sumner Miller on Newton’s Second and Third Laws. Good stuff! you’ll find them extremely helpful with the conceptual part of the test. I strongly encourage you to watch them!

Physics 10-26-15 Newton's 2nd & 3rd Laws from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

Photo: Joe Armao

5 thoughts on “Physics 10-27-16 Newton’s 2nd & 3rd Laws

1. This week I give myself a three out of five stars. On the first equilibrant worksheet I found it very easy and had no trouble with it. I felt the same about the problems in the book. The first night I was working the second equilibrant worksheet I ran into some trouble. I was over thinking the problems way to much and had a lot of difficultly. The second night I came back to them and thought about them in a new way and it was like a light bulb went off. I got them all correct except for Zorba. I had almost everything I needed to work the problem from defining things in terms of other variables but was missing two key factors. I believe when I go back to work Zorba again I will have no trouble getting the problem correct.

2. This week I give myself a 5/5 because me and my partner did the lab in good timing and finished early. We also thought it was simple and learned what we were doing.

3. I give myself a 5 out of 5 because me and my partner figured out everything about the lab and completed it and I took good notes and understand what we are learning so far.

4. This week I am giving myself a 5 out of 5. The first equilibrant worksheet & that night’s book work was a breeze for me. When we got to the second equilibrant work sheet, I took a bit longer to work them, but I was able to correctly work all but the Zorba problem on my first try. With the Zorba one, I understood why you did as you did when you explained it to us. Now that we have gone over it, I have confidence that I can work a similar one on the test & future homeworks. With all of that said, it was a very successful week for me & I hope I continue to do this well.