Hon Chemistry 9-28-16 Classification of Matter

HON CHEMISTRY: Happy Wednesday! Great job today on asking questions to classify matter! How are you doing on the examples of homogeneous and heterogeneous matter? Here’s a question to think about again, can you tell me three different types of homogeneous matter?

And no, this isn’t part of a moonshine still, but it is copper and I thought it looked kind of cool! Speaking of….why do you think they use copper coil in stills??

Hon Chemistry 9-28-16 Classification of Matter from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by cobalt123

11 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 9-28-16 Classification of Matter

1. This week I triumphed when it came to the concepts of the conservation of mass lab. When given the assignment of creating an experiment to conserve the mass, I knew exactly what to do. I was very encouraged, and my partner and I completed it the very first time. Next time though I need to give myself more time to clean up.

2. This week I would rate myself a 5/5 stars. My partner and I finished our labs in the right amount of time. I have also improved on not procrastinating. I turned in my labs on Thursday, instead of Saturday, two hours before it was due. I could improve on getting to class earlier to work on my labs.

3. This week, my lab partner and I successfully completed the conservation of mass lab, even though we were (again) the last ones finished. We have discovered that our problem is overthinking everything and taking too long to calculate the results of the experiment. We could have been one of the first groups finished if we hadn’t redone the lab several times and subtracted the masses of all the individual apparatus. So now that we have identified the problem, we look forward to finishing on time (or maybe even early) at our next lab!

4. I would rate myself 5/5 stars this week. I kept up with notes while also being able to keep up with what’s being said. My lab partner and I finished our second lab quickly and with no error. We knew what we had to do before we came in and that helped tremendously.

5. I would rate myself 3 out of 5 stars this week. As always, finishing the lab in time is a struggle. We were again, not surprisingly, the very last ones done. But day 2 was better than day 1. Hopefully next time or at least hopefully by Christmas we may be able to be done and get back in our seats before the bell rings. Got to also work on extra credit ahead of time and now working ahead for things due Saturday. Hopeful that technology is nice to me this weekend and that everything will go smoothly.

6. I would rate myself 3/5 stars this week. My partner and I were able to finish quickly with the lab on day two, but we struggled to finish on day one. I will try to work on my time management from now on.

7. This week I would rate myself a 4.5/5 stars. My life has been very stressful lately, but I was very happy that everything worked out this week. My lab partner and I came into the lab prepared, and finished quickly and without any error. We finished Chapter 1 this week, too, and I am actually starting to get the hang of note taking. Now I just have to study for the test coming up!

8. This week I would rate myself a 2/5 stars. My lab partner and I struggled this week to finish the conservation of mass lab. I, personally, will work on not overthinking. This week I believed I triumphed in the vLab which I complete very quickly.

9. I would rate myself 5/5 stars for this week in Chemistry because when we did the Part II of the Conservation of Mass Lab, my lab partner and I were able to complete the lab correctly with some time to spare because we were prepared before we did the lab. I also was able to keep up taking notes this week. I also plan to study for the test this Tuesday this weekend so that I will not have to cram on Monday night.

10. I would rate myself 4/5 stars this week. My partner and I got were able to finish the lab on day 2 on time; however, we were not able to finish on day 1 on time. I did fine doing the virtual lab but I don’t know what to do with it now.

11. This week, I really struggled with the element memorization quiz. I need to find different ways to study that work better for me, so that next time I will do better. However, my lab partner and I did very well in the labs!! I’m much better at doing things hands on and next time I will try to incorporate this strength into my studying.