Chemistry 12-3-14 Dalton & the Modern Atomic Theory

CHEMISTRY: Change in plans!! Watch the vodcast from today for the change in homework! You can also use the vodcast to get the parts of the Modern Atomic Theory if you didn’t get it in class today.

How hard do you think it was for scientist to figure out what exactly atoms are and what they might be made of? We’ll check that out tomorrow! Don’t forget your sock, can, and items! Watch today’s vodcast or go back to yesterday’s web post if you have questions about what to bring tomorrow.

CHEMISTRY 12-3-14 Dalton & the Modern Atomic Theory from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by IamNotUnique

23 thoughts on “Chemistry 12-3-14 Dalton & the Modern Atomic Theory

1. Thanks for the new homework lesson tonight. It really made me think and helpful for new thinking skills that I can use now and during the ACT and future classes

2. I loved doing the Polymer lab! I enjoyed having the hands on learning experience. I got to see what type of polymers make up each item. Rather than just reading or learning about the different types of items polymers make up, I actually got to create the item and see for myself. From this experiment, I had a better look at the different types of items that polymers can create. I now know why some certain items are made up of certain polymers. I now understand why it is not recommended for a baby to wear a regular diaper in a swimming pool.

3. I learned from the model of an atom activity that sometimes scientist can’t always see what they are experimenting on and that they use their knowledge and observations to help them.

4. The polymer lab really helped with the various polymers that can be created with other polymers.
    In this lab I learned how different polmers function and their reactions to different substances.

5. While doing the model of an atom lab, I learned that scientists sometimes do not have much knowledge of the topic they are studying, so they have to make very specific observations. Since we did not know what objects were in our can, we were like scientists and had to make observations on what we felt and heard to identify each object.

6. The polymer lab helped me understand how polymers can be used. like how we use polymers that adsorb large amounts of water in diapers. This lab was a very hands on experience that really helped me understand how certain polymers function.

7. I really enjoyed the labs and activities this week! The polymer lab showed me why you shouldn’t put a baby wearing a diaper in a swimming pool! The can activity was fun as well – it showed us how scientists can use observations to infer what is inside the atom.

8. I give myself 3 out of 5 stars this week because although I made a bad grade on my test, I still made improvement from last week. I also think I did good on both the polymers lab and the model of an atom lab, they both gave me a btter view on the structures of an atom and the way that polymers work.

9. I give myself a 4 out of 5 stars because I’m understanding the Laws, but the review questions are giving me some trouble.

10. I give myself 4 out of 5 stars because the laws became more clear the more we worked with them and the polymer lab helped me understand the way they work

11. For this week, I give myself 3 out of 5 stars. I did not do great on the test, but I feel like I self corrected well when we checked over them. I have understood most of the material about atoms this week fairly well.

12. I give myself a 4 out of 5 stars this week. I didn’t do bad on the test and i’m happy with my grade. When we went over the test again i knew the answers i got wrong, i just made careless mistakes.

13. I really enjoyed the labs that we have done this week. The polymer lab amazed me how much water that the material held and how the salt made it bust. It also showed me how we can use polymers for a lot of everyday things we use.

14. This week I would give myself a 3 out of 5 because I think it’s going to take me some extra time to learn about polymers and how they work. But from last week I can say that I am improving from last week.

15. This week in class I learned that scientists carefully use observations to guess what is inside an atom and also I learned how polyacrylate is used in diapers through the polymer lab.

16. The sock and can activity really helped me understand how scientists learned about the structures of atoms. It also helped me realize how observations can be completely wrong from the conclusions of certain items.

17. I never knew the vast scale needed to understand the ratio of such a small thing as an atom. Amazing as we look upon God’s creation.

18. I give myself 3 out of 5 stars becauseI didnt do as well as I wanted to on the test, but I feel like I’ve understood the material that we’ve talked about in class this week.

19. I feel like I did very well this week because I succeeded in the polymer lab and I feel like I did good on all of the homework.

20. I was surprised that the change of Dalton’s theory was really close to the modern-day theory. Dalton’s theory had very little technology to use compared to the technology we have today.

21. At first,I had a difficult time of understanding the different between Dalton’s Atomic Theory and Modern Atomic Theory,so I would give myself 2 out of 5 .After the lesson today,I I have a better understanding ,so I give myself a 4 out of 5.