Physics 2-27-17 Pascal’s Law

PHYSICS: Did you realize that fluids could produce that much force? Make’s you wonder at the awesome way God designed those beautiful under water sea creatures to withstand so much pressure, doesn’t it? This little creature is a lionfish from the waters of Lembeh, Indonesia.

Oh, and here’s the lecture on Pascal’s law and hydraulics and the like.

Physics 2-27-17 Pascal's Law from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by CW Ye

2 thoughts on “Physics 2-27-17 Pascal’s Law

1. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 for this week so far. Learning about Pascal’s Principle on Monday was very interesting, but it was harder for me to understand than Archimedes’ Principle. And, on the Archimedes’ Principle homework from Monday night, I still struggled with some of the questions even though I thought I understood the concepts. I especially struggled with the ice cube conceptual question. After going over it in class, I did understand it at least a little bit better. The problems in this chapter seem to be going fairly well so far, but I just have to make sure that I know why I am doing every step. All of the take home labs are really helping me to understand concepts more, as well. Conducting the Hydraulics lab yesterday and today was much more challenging than Hannah and I anticipated, but we eventually were able to conduct four different scenarios with our T-Bot. We were disappointed that a majority of our original ideas did not work, but we were glad that we were able to quickly come up with some fun new ones. I will be studying extremely hard for this test after I come back from the IBS trip! Thank you so much again for working with me and Hannah and allowing us to not have to do a web post next week. I cannot wait to share the love of Christ with others, and I can’t wait to see some of Bernoulli’s Principle while we’re on the plane to Costa Rica!

2. I give myself 3 out of five stars this week. Mary and I enjoyed doing the hydraulics lab and was able to finish it yesterday. I think we did a good and creative job on the lab. This week I have learned a lot about pressure and fluids. I learned that a fluid is anything that flows and can be a gas or a liquid. I also learned the pressure of a fluid is directly related to the fluid’s density and the depth of the fluid. I observed this in the pressure vs depth take home lab. The father down the holes were in the cup, the farther the liquid shot out. From this observation, I gathered that there was more pressure with more depth. I also learned about Pascal and Archimedes and the principles that they discovered. Archimedes said that any object submerged, or partially submerged in a fluid experiences a buoyant force upward equal in magnitude to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. Pascal said pressure is distributed evenly to fluid and walls of the container in a closed container. From this principle, we can use the pressure of fluids to create machines such as the machine we used in the hydraulics lab. At first, I had some trouble understanding how these principles worked, but once I did the labs, I understood them much better. I will make sure to review these when Im studying for the test to make sure I understand them fully.