Chemistry 1-16-15 Wave Properties of Light

CHEMISTRY: So tell me again, if we’re supposed to be figuring out electrons, why are we studying waves? Here’s the lecture from Friday on just that. Make sure you know the types of electromagnetic radiation and the uses of most of them (all except for long waves). And just in case you really need to sing that song again, here’s The Electromagnetic Spectrum Song

How did you like the light problem formulas – so far? We’ll explore wave problems further next week – be sure to bring a calculator to class!

Chemistry 1-16-15 Wave Properties of Light from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by kevin dooley

59 thoughts on “Chemistry 1-16-15 Wave Properties of Light

1. I have learned so much this week. Photoelectric energy was planck discovery. The energy of a particular photon depends on the frequency of radiation. Examples of photoelectric effect is when a door opens by itself or automatic toleits

2. I rate my myself 3 out of 5 on the wave properties of light because I understand the concept, however, I have trouble on some of the calculations.

3. This week I learned that energy is related to wavelength and frequency. For instance when the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases which also causes the energy to increase.

4. This week I would give my self a 2.5 out of 5. I understanf the concept and the the lesson, but I tend to have some problems with conversions in the calculations.
    This week the lab was also very intriguing as well.

5. I would give myself a 3.5 out of 5 this week in class. The problems and formulas are coming very naturally to me! But I am having some trouble remembering some concepts, which will require me to practice outside of class.

6. At the beginning of the week, I did not really understand how to work the problems. Going over them today in class really helped me to know how to work them a lot better. I feel like I know the right formulas and concepts on how to complete these problems. I give myself a 3 out of 5 for the week.

7. The lab we are doing this week has really helped to put the lesson in perspective for me. I have learned that light is not only a wave, but it is electrons. The song we listened to in class also has really stuck with me and helped me with the electromagnetic spectrum.

8. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 for the week. I understand the material very well. However, I have issues with working the problems. Specifically the conversions in the problems. Practicing the problems in class did help.

9. I rate myself 4 out of 5 stars on the energy, wavelength, and problems like these. When we practiced them on the boards in class I got them right and understood them completely. I still may need a bit more practice, but as of know I think i have it.

10. Hey, Mrs. Skinner,
    I would honestly rank myself about a 4 1/2 out of 5 this week. After watching the podcast it got noticeably easier.

11. The Spectroscopy lab was really cool. Looking through the grating disks at a light bulb showed me all of the colors of the spectrum. I rate myself 4 outa 5 this week because of the problems dealing with energy, wavelength, and frequency, I did surprisingly well.

12. I would rate myself 4 out of 5 for this week because I understand how to do the wavelength and frequency problems but I sometimes get them mixed up. I need to practice them more outsider of class to fully understand them.

13. I would rate myself 4 out of 5 for this week because I understand how to do the wavelength and frequency problems but I sometimes get them mixed up. I need to practice them more outsider of class to fully know how to do them.

14. This week, I rate myself 4 out of 5 stars. I understood the frequency and wavelength problems more than I thought I would.

15. I rate myself 3.5 out of 5 this week because I need to work on the formulas for wave length and frequency but In the lab I learned how to look through a spectroscope and measure the colors and it helped me understand this chapter better.

16. I learned that wavelength is related to frequency. wavelength decreases, the frequency increases this is what causes an increase in energy.
    Ps. the chemistry song was great 🙂

17. I struggled with the test and studying for it. I should have paid a little bit more attention to the rules about the electrons. Other than that I did pretty good on the configurations and notations.

18. This week I rate my self a 4 out of 5. i really understood wavelength and frequency. The lab this week with the florescent lights has really been fun.

19. This week I rate my self a 3 out of 5. i really understood frequency and wavelength. The lab this week with the florescent lights taught me all the different colors in lights .

Reply

20. Learning about the photoelectric effect was really interesting. I thought about how I triggered that sensor that knocked the electrons off when I walked through the automatic doors at target.

21. The hardest thing for me this week is the second lab. Especially when I was trying to identify where the colors are measured. I also learnt that light can turn on something or activate it.

22. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5. I am pretty good working out the problems, but I stil have some trouble using the correct formulas and rearranging them according to the problem.

23. I loved learning about the photoelectric effect! I did not know that that was used to operate automatic doors, some elevators, and automatic flushing toilets! I now can view at those items differently since I know what is happening with the electrons. 🙂

24. I rate myself a 3 out of 4 this week. I don’t know all of my formulas for the problems and am memorizing them but I do know how to work the problems correctly.

25. This week I learned how wavelength and frequency were related to each other. The photoelectric effect lab was very interesting as well. It was a good way to understand the colors with each different type of light.

26. I give myself a 5 out of 5 for this week because I took diligent notes and I got all the assignment for the week done in a timely manner.

27. I do not know all the formulas but after going over them so many times I’m starting to get then hang of all the different formulas. I would probably rank myself 4 out of 5

28. This week I would rate myself at a 4 out of 5 because I felt I did well on the test and I understand what we are learning in class. Also, I find the lab we did this week very interesting. White light separating into the different colors is really cool!

29. This week in class I learned that humans have electrons. I also learned how wavelength and frequency are related.

30. I learned through the spectroscopy lab that fluorescent and incandescent lights look different through diffraction grating.

31. I really liked the the lab we did this week, I learned that each color we see has it’s ow wave length and frequency.

32. For a rating I would rate myself 3 out of 5. The incandescent light and fluorescent light lab were very interesting. It is amazing to see how multiple colors create white light.

33. The lab this week with the lights have been fun! This week I rate my self a 3 out of 5. I understand wavelength and frequency more easily than anything else we’ve learned! 🙂

34. I have really enjoyed learned about electromagnetic waves this week. I give myself a 7 out of 10 this week because I understand the electromagnetic spectrum, but I’m not very good at the math problems.

35. I struggled at first with the problems, but throughout the week i have learned how to work them better. I also really liked the lab we did this week.

36. i really enjoyed the lab this week. it was really cool to be able to see the spectrum like that. i learned that the problems are gonna take some practice. Looking forward to learnng more

37. The electromagnetic spectrum lab today was kind of challenging. I give myself a 4/5 this week with the problems and the lab.

38. I didn’t do very good on the problems this week at first, but after doing them again, it’s a lot easier! I have to work on deriving units