Chemistry 2-14-17 Chapter 4 Test Overview & Help Session

CHEMISTRY: Happy Valentine’s Day! God bless as you study for the chapter 4 test on Thursday! Here is the overview that we did today of the chapter. Below that is the helps session from this morning.

Have you checked out the Chapter 4 Stuff to Know Sheet from Edline? Make sure you memorize the things you need to memorize so that you can apply them on the test. And practice, practice, practice, the problems and electron configurations.

What about applications for discussion? Neon signs, photoelectric effect, spectroscopy, etc.? Another great idea for studying is to watch the videos that we watched in class – super helpful as you study for the test!! Check them out on the the earlier lesson web posts. Here are some of them:
Spectrum of the Stars (overivew of the results of the spectroscopy lab you did, shows the connection between our lab on spectroscopy and how we can identify elements), Emission Spectrum of Hydrogen (how we use it to know about the energy levels in an atom), Quantum Mechanics (about the roles of Bohr, Schrodinger, Heisenberg), and also Animated Quantum Mechanics.

God bless you! I’m praying for you!!

Chemistry 2-14-17 Chapter 4 Test Overview & Help Session from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by Marla J Aleman

Help Session from this morning:

Chemistry 2-14-17 Chapter 4 Help Session from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

54 thoughts on “Chemistry 2-14-17 Chapter 4 Test Overview & Help Session

1. This week has been an overall challenging; yet successful week. With the triboluminescence lab, I feel like I have a whole new perspective with how “blind” I’ve been, even when the lights are on. We never realize what reactions happen when we can’t see. Doing this lab showed me that even from simple everyday objects; using masking tape give off light, even when we don’t see it. As simple as tape is; i wonder what else I’ve been missing. Chemistry is all around me, even though i can’t see it in that moment; all I have to do is look closer. My challenge this week is uncertainty in myself. I thought that since my last grade; that this grade will not be good as well. My goal is to try to stay positive and believe in myself. Even when people might try to bring me down; I need to try to keep my head up.

2. This week hasn’t been the hardest and it hasn’t been the easiest either. I had fun learning the electron configuration and noble gas notation. Overall, I think I had it all sorted when I took my test but I’m dubious about the orbital notation. That’s where I struggled the most.

3. I would say that this chapter was semi easy and semi hard. The labs were not really that hard and were fun. The chapter over all was like a 5/10 on how hard it was but there was a lot of formulas to remember and you had to make sure you didn’t mix up say electromagnetic configuration and orbital notation but those were easy. I would say that i would rate myself 3/5 for this chapter but i hope to do better with each coming chapter.

4. This week wasn’t that difficult unless you were trying to see in the dark with that lab. learning about the noble gas notation was easy to remember but trying to remember the equation was pretty hard.

5. This week I struggled with reviewing for the test and memorizing. I’ve rewatched the vodcasts, but I’m still struggling with the frequency problems. I struggled with memorization because I tend to procrastinate. I would rate myself a 3/5 this week. However, I enjoyed the triboluminescence lab!!! It hurt my eyes at first, but being able to see the light was very amusing. I am writing the lab and close to finishing it. I also felt that I’ve improved on writing labs. I do it in a faster time and make less mistakes now because I know what to look for.

6. I would rate myself 4/5 for this week. I felt like I was struggling with the electron configuration and the orbital notation,but by the time of the test I felt like I had got better at it. I think I did alright on the test and did decent on the number problems.

7. This week I rate myself a 3/5. I found the lab this week to be very interesting and I enjoyed it very much. I struggled with the test today but I hope to be ready for more notes and activities next week.

• For this week I would rate myself 3/5. I understood most of the lessons this week but some I didn’t. I should have gotten help with the lessons I didn’t and reviewed, but for the most part the lessons this week were easy to understand. I especially liked practicing orbital notation problems. I felt that I was prepared for the test but next time I need to study a lot more in advance than all at once closer to the test.

8. This week in chemistry we did the Triboluminescence lab and reviewed for the Chapter 4 test. In the triboluminescence lab, I felt like I was able to see how it related to what we were talking about in class. I understood how when the atoms became excited, they gave off light and we could see it because it had a wavelength within the part of the spectrum we could see, the visible light part of the spectrum. In reviewing for the test, I know that doing the lab helped me in my studying because it was a good illustration about how electrons move from the ground state to the excited state and give off electromagnetic radiation when falling back down to the ground state.

9. This week has been one of the more challenging weeks for me personally, but I feel that although it has been tough I was able to manage my time well and tried not to overwhelm myself with work. I feel as though I understood the orbital notation, electron configuration notation, and noble gas configuration pretty easily, but I really struggled with things such as: remembering things about wavelength, frequency, and the electromagnetic spectrum.

10. i would say i did very good this week in chemistry.the test was easy for me but i ran out of time at the end and wasn’t able to finish it all. i would give myself a 10/10 this week in chemistry

11. This week I really enjoyed the lab. I knew everything I was doing because I had read the sheet carefully since last time I didn’t so I didn’t get to do it. It was by far my favorite lab this year but I don’t think I did well on the test so I give myself a 4/5.

12. This week’s triumph was fairly successful for me. This chapter, to me, has been easier compared to others, and I feel confident that I made a better grade that last test’s. I improved on managing my time for studying. I started 2-3 days earlier, and in result, I had most of the facts memorized, and I could apply the mathematical problems, orbital notation, noble gas notation, and electron configuration very well on the test. This week’s lab was very fun, and interesting! It did take a minute to get my eyes adjusted, and since my lab partner and I sat in the back, I often looked at the door, which had a little amount of light shining through. All together, this week was a great week for me, and I hope there are more to come like this!

13. This week was very challenging. The test was hard but I studied well so I feel like I did good. I want to work on studying after each lesson. Like each night study what we talked about that day. I feel like that would be beneficial to me.

14. Although this week was not hard for me because I understood the problems such as noble gas notation, The test was difficult because I took too much time to think through the questions. I will improve by giving myself more time to study so that I can retain the information better.

15. This week was challenging for me. I would rate myself a 2/5. When I got my test I froze and I could not remember all of the material I studied. From this I learned not to just memorize rules and steps but to practice them and not try to learn everything in one night. I also learned I need to be more on top of things like the dates to the help sessions.

16. In chemistry this week it was a struggle I didn’t good on the test but didn’t completely finish I feel good on everything I did. On the lab today me and Tyler excelled and finished first and did it perfectly our first try. I would rate myself a 5/5

17. This week I learned how to better understand orbital notation and easier ways of finding the elements using elections. I feel as if I struggled with the formulas because I forgot them right when I started taking the test. But I did good on everything else.

18. This week was a good one for me. The triumph I had was doing good on the lab and the activity we did. The struggle I had was not giving myself enough time to study for the test, but I feel like I still did good on it. Overall, I would give myself a 3/5 stars for the week.

19. I would rate myself a 2/5 because I struggled on the test. The lab this week was super cool and I enjoyed it. My triumph this week was finishing the activity we did on Friday and understanding it.

20. This week I rate myself 4/5. I feel like I did well to go and try to learn the content I didn’t understand myself, although there was some I missed. I will try in the future to make sure I know all of the content and not only some of it.

21. This week I rate myself a 2/5. I really thought the lab we did this week was fun but I struggled pretty bad on the test. It was a lot of information to take in in such little time and I think I need to start studying sooner for future tests.

22. This week in chemistry, I feel like I did well on the test but I’m very reluctant that ms. Skinner is letting us retake a page if the test. I would rate myself 4/5 for sure this week.

23. This week i feel like i did fairly well in preparing for the test. But for those of you who didn’t, i suggest that you use this long weekend and study and retake the page that you feel like you did the worst on. good luck studying!

24. This week was a challenge for me. I thought i had done well in preparing for the test but there was a lot of information on it that i didn’t know! I also was very short on time while taking the test. I can learn from these two things that i need to manage my time better: i need to study more ahead of time and not cram last minute, and i also need to spend less time on every problem on the test! and speaking of the test, thank you again SO MUCH for letting us redo one page! i will make sure to go back and study what i need to fix! i encourage everyone else to take this blessing and study hard as well!!

my biggest triumph was probably today doing the create a table activity. it was very fun and interesting. i learned how many patterns the periodic table really has! i am excited to start this new chapter and learn more about the periodic table!

25. This week in chemistry, I feel like I did well on the test but I’m very reluctant that ms. Skinner is letting us retake a page if the test. I would rate myself 4/5 for sure this week.

26. This week I would rate myself a 3/5. I started making a study guide for the test early this week and it helped me a lot. I feel like I did ok on the test. The lab on Wednesday was very fun. I don’t like being in the dark, but seeing the different lights was fun. The activity today was fun also.

27. I would rate myself a three out of five stars this week because I forgot to print stuff till the last minute and I didn’t study well enough for the test but I feel like I did well on the lab

28. I would rate myself a 4/5 for this week. i thoroughly enjoyed the lab but i think i could’ve studied a little harder for the test. I think I did okay, but i ran out of time quicker than i should have.

29. This week I would rate myself 4/5 stars my group did really well with the triboluminescent activity, I also did well with electron configuration and the homework. my struggle this week would be memorizing certain information for the test I struggled with.

30. This week i would rate myself 4/5. I feel I did well with the Triboluminesence lab. I read it before hand and knew what to expect when the lab got started. However, I feel i could have worked more problems to study for the test and been better with my time management.

31. This week was pretty challenging my main struggle this week was I didn’t manage my time very well during the test and ended up running out of time. Overall I rate myself a 3/5 this week.

32. This week in Chemistry, I would rate myself a 3.5/5 stars. I tried studying differently this time since I didn’t do very well on the last test, and I feel a lot better about this test! I didn’t just memorize my notes, but I made sure that I practiced applying them! I also thought that the lab was really a lot of fun, and I learned a lot from it! Hopefully next week I can rate myself higher!!

33. My struggle this was week was remembering how to do wavelength problems me energy problems. I didn’t memorize the formulas, so I didn’t understand or know how to set them up or how to rearrange them on the test. In result, I had a very hard time trying to finish the backpage of the test.

34. This week I’d rate myself a 5/5. I felt really good about this week. I studied for my test a lot and think it did pay off. I had a lot of fun doing the lab. It was really cool to experience the light and learn about how each one shows off a different light and color.

35. This week I struggled with the test. The calculator I used for the test broke. I think I did well with the activity today. I rate myself a 2/5 this week.

36. This week, the lab was pretty easy and I studied pretty well for the test so I felt like I did good. The lab was really cool though because you could see everyday things that we use give off light. I’d give myself a 4/5 this week

37. This week I would rate myself a 2/5. I enjoyed the lab and it was by far my favorite lab of the year. I struggled a lot on my test because I didn’t do well with time management. I also need to go back and watch the vodcast so I can make sure I completely understand the material.

38. i would rate myself a 3/5 in chemistry this week. on monday, the triboluminescence lab was very enjoyable and i loved seeing how the atoms react when you add a quantum of energy to the atom. i struggled with the test. i waited to study and then it showed on my test. one thing i can improve on is studying for longer.

39. this week i would rate myself a 3/5. I understood the lesson this week but i forgot what elements go with what symbols. I going to try to review over the elements again so that i will not miss something because of something stupid.

40. I would rate myself a 2.3/5 this week I studied for the test but went completely brain dead. I need to practice more and be more confident in myself.

41. I would rate my self a 3/5 for this week. I really learned alot from the triboluminescence lab, and it showed me theres a lot to chemistry that you cant see. I struggled a little with the test but that was probably because of my studying

42. I give my self a 4 out of 5 becuase me and my partner did the lab right and finished it quick but the only thing I’m worried about is the test becuase I didn’t get to finsih. I need to learn how to prepare myself better for the test.

43. This week in chemistry I would rate myself a 3/5 because I feel like I did pretty good on the labs. I’m not very confident about the test because I feel like I could’ve prepared better.

44. this week was was kind of hard with the test. I feel like i did good on the labs ,but not so good on the test I think I need to be more prepared and study more and better. I give myself a 3/5

45. This week in Chemistry, I would rate myself a 4/5. I think that I did well on the test and the lab was interesting and easy. My lab partner and I did well on the activity today.

46. This week in chemistry, I would rate myself a 3/5. I think my lab partner and I did well on the lab and the periodic table worksheet. We worked together well and read the lab beforehand to be prepared. Relating to the test, I think I did well on my calculations, but I could have studied the multiple choice type problems more.

47. This week Id rate myself a 4/5 because I think I did well with the triboluminescence lab, but I also was not very on top of things when it came to homework.

48. This week I’d rate myself a 4/5 because I studied very good on the test and it seemed quite easier than I thought it would have been. I also was very efficient in the triboluminescence lab as well as beginning the write up for it. Although, I gave myself a 4/5 instead of a 5/5 because I didn’t completely finish the test due to running out of time.

49. This week I feel I did a good job on learning the lessons and labs. I also feel that I didn’t do so well with time management and staying on top of homework. I hope that next week I can improve on time management, learning, and applying information.