Hon Chemistry 10-31-23 Binary Molecular Formulas

HON CHEMISTRY: Do you feel like you have letter and numbers swimming in your eyes? This is one of those times that paying attention to details is super, super important! Here’s the lecture from Thursday on writing formulas and names for binary molecular compounds. Part of it’s really similar to what you learned to do for ionic compounds, but another part is totally different. Details!!

Make sure you keep everything straight. Do something that will organize all the information for you, so you won’t get confused. Also, don’t forget the lists you have to memorize – it’s getting larger and larger!! And practice, practice, practice!!!

Need extra practice? Help session?

flickr photo by Roger Smith

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 10-31-23 Binary Molecular Formulas

1. Right now I am struggling with remembering all the different compounds and the rules that apply to writing their names and formulas, but to help with this I’m planning to produce something before the test to help me connect with it more and I am going to work out more homework questions as a form of practice.

2. I am struggling with remembering the rules for the prefix system and the stock system. I find it hard to remember when to use these systems, and how to use these system. To overcome this struggle I have been practicing how to write formulas with both systems. It helps to have the periodic table next to you so you know if the element is a nonmetal, metal, or metalloid. I think the more I practice, the easier it will be to apply the rules.

3. I am struggling on all the different compounds and remembering which rules applies on which. I am going to overcome this struggle by practicing and doing more homework problems.

4. This week I struggled with getting my homework done in a timely manner. I am going to plan when to do my homework at a better time. And I am going to do my homework earlier.

5. This week I struggled with learning how to name the different compounds. I am trying to learn the rules so that I know how to name them from now on. I am trying to make sure I am naming them properly and using the correct rules.