Physics 4-3-23 Properties of Waves

PHYSICS: Today’s lesson is three parts. First you’ll watch a short vodcast on the properties of waves and then a short NASA video on wave motion (link is below) since we won’t be able to place with slinkies today in person. To wrap it up and make sure you have the concepts nailed down, there are three activities from the The Physics Classroom that you’ll do.

1) Vodcast – view below
2) NASA Launchpad video on wave motion – NASA Launchpad: Wave Motion.
3) Either your book HW for tonight or The Physics Classroom Activities – Concept Builders: Wave Basics, Wave Cases and Concept Checkers: Simple Wave Simulator (either mode is okay)

Do you remember anything from your earlier 8th grade physical science days? Problems are pretty simple for you, I think. Do you remember the main formula from chemistry? Speed = wavelength x frequency (c = λf). Easy peasy – and don’t forget the applications!

28 thoughts on “Physics 4-3-23 Properties of Waves

1. This nine weeks I have struggled a bit. I have been struggling with managing my labs, and the project while also studying other classes. I plan to counteract this struggle by better scheduling my activities and school work.

2. This week I rate myself a 3/5. I struggled with waves and the physics classroom activities. To fix this I will rewatch the lesson.

3. This week I rate myself a 5/5. I understand what we learned about waves and did very well on the physics classroom assignments. I also feel very prepared for explore zone next week.

4. I rate this week 4 out of 5 stars. I struggled with the homework a little and understanding the beginning of waves, but I will improve on this by rewatching and taking notes on the vodcast. This week was good because I made good headway on my explorer zone exhibit as well as my group getting some work done on our Rube Goldberg project. I am hoping to finish my labs and complete some work on the project.

5. I rate myself a 4 out of 5 for this week I understood what we talked about with waves but I struggled a little in the physics classroom. I also have everything ready for explorer zone.

6. I would rate myself a 4/5 stars this week. Though we did not have much homework this week, with the work we did have I was mostly able to finish at school and not have to worry about it at home. I probably could have worked on my labs a bit more at school, though I did get a decent head start on them. Next week I will try to be as time efficient as possible with ExploreZone and the Rube Goldberg project coming up.

7. This week I would rate myself a 4/5 stars. I was able to do all my homework and get it done as well as understand the concept. However I am alittle behind then I would like to be for ExploreZone and the Rub Goldberg Project then I would like to be. Inorder to combat this I will work this weekend to get these thing done.

8. I rate this week a 4/5. Let’s be honest, it has been a crazy week. Between the crazy weather and power outages, it has been a week to remember. I hope I can rest this long weekend, celebrate what Christ has done for us, and store enough energy to get me through this last month of school.

9. This week I would rate myself a 3/5. I was able to accomplish a lot with my explore zone project. I was also able to finish the homework on time this week. I did not do as well as I wished on the lab and therefore take away 1 point. I also didn’t start on my labs as early as I should have and therefore take away another point.

10. This week I would rate myself a 3/5 stars. I started this week strong as I was able to stay on top of the homework problems and was able to complete the physics classroom in class. Furthermore, I was able to come up with new explorezone ideas that could be really fun for everyone involved. However, I dock some points from myself as I did not start my labs until Wednesday which only gave me a few days to do them. In order to fix this, I will start on my labs earlier than I want to in order to get them done well before the due date.

11. This week has been a mixture of calm and then busy. We didn’t necessarily have a lot of homework in physics, but lab reports are due at the end of the week along with Explore Zone and part 1 of the physics project next week, so that’s pretty crazy. I did a good job of getting ahead so that I’m not slammed all of next week, which I’m very happy with. I’ll be hoping for some sleep next week because I’m going to need it.

12. This week was a good week in physics. I surprisingly remembered a lot of the properties of waves, and even though the physics classroom assignments were a struggle, I eventually got the hang of them. Also, I am glad that we got to prepare for explore zone in class, but there is still a lot more preparation to be done over the weekend.

13. I would rate myself 5/5 this week. I feel like I progressed well on Explorer Zone. I did a good job on wave properties. My Rube-Goldberg group made good progress on our project on Friday. My labs took less time than expected. Overall, the week went well. For the future, I plan on working as hard as possible in Physics to finish the year strong

14. This week I would rate myself a 4/5 because I got a lot done for explore zone. Next week I hope to be even more efficient and have explore zone go smoothly.

15. I rate Explore Zone a 4/5. It was definitely stressful at times, but I think it went as well as it could have with how much clean up my exhibit required. It was a fun and rewarding day but also very tiring. Despite this, I wouldn’t change anything about the day except for my level of stress.

16. I would rate Explore Zone a 4/5. Most of the groups were fun to teach and were willing to listen. However, some of the younger kids really wanted to touch the magnets, and would sometimes mess the demonstration up. We also had a rough stretch where there were no breaks for 20 minutes, so we had to improvise our whole routine so we could have time to set up the Gauss Gun. Other than that, our presentations ran smoothly, and the kids really enjoyed the rocket balloons.

17. I would rate Explore Zone with 4 out of 5 stars. I felt like everyone’s exhibit went well and it was ultimately successful after all the work put in by so many people. My group worked really well together and the boys did a great job covering for me while I was gone on an interview. The mini hovercrafts were not as successful as hoped because the setup process was uncertain and they were not very stable with all the kids. It was rough on some of the kids to go from the excitement of the hovercraft to the smaller version, so we actually cut the minis in the afternoon and let the younger kids enjoy the excitement of watching. The hovercraft did rip at one point and we worked together to quickly reinforce with tape and test before the next group arrived. Going every other time was helpful because we were able to regroup and discuss if necessary. I really enjoyed the day and felt like the kids had fun too.

18. I would rate Explore Zone a 5/5 this week. I was prepared and ready, which made things run smoothly. We had a lot of fun in my group. The best part was seeing and hearing about how much fun all of the kids had.

19. I would rate explore zone a 4/5 stars. The exhibit was fun to do but the t-box kept on breaking. Some of the break was just as easy as popping the tube back in, others where pieces shattering or the syringe on the t box popping off. But we never had a group using all eight t-box, so when one would break we replace it with a repaired one and fix the broken one. This also give us time to let the glue gun to cool off. The children seemed interested in the t-box also.

20. I would rate myself a 5/5 stars for explorer zone. My group had a good time teaching the kids and I think a majority of the kids understood the topic. For next time the bottles on either side of the pole that is meant for balance need to be weighted with sand or something solid and the strings supporting the bottles need to be measured to be lower than the slackline.

21. I would rate explore zone a 3/5 for my group. I felt like the kids had so much fun and enjoyed my station. However, i lost my voice and had to get a helper to teach, so some of the later groups didn’t quite get as much of a grasp on my topic. I also felt like a whole bunch oh highschoolers being on the swing and stuff distracted the kids a little bit. But overall it was a good experience. Next time I would get a swing with an actual walled seat so they stay on hahaha

22. I would rate this explore zone a 5/5 for my group/activities. For the most part, the kids were interested in what we were talking about, amazed by our activities (especially the “gravity defying” apple), and generally had a good time. Furthermore, although some experiments went wrong here and there, the demonstrations went pretty much flawless throughout the entirety. Also, we were able to adapt our activities to a easier setup for the kids as, after the first groups or so, we determined that it would be easier for us and more fun for the kids if it was not so convoluted to set things up. Finally, my group of helpers were amazing, and they were able to take over and perform when I had to go to my interview. Next time, I would set up the exhibit to be more easier and try to find another activity that is on a grander scale (like a dunk tank)!

23. I would rate myself a 4/5 for Explore Zone. I started the day by being really bad about time and taking too long to explain things, but I was able to slowly figure it out throughout the day. I was happy that I was able to keep somewhat of a high energy even at the end of the day, and that was super good.

24. I would rate explore zone a 4/5. We had a bit of a learning curve and there were certainly some obstacles, but I believe we did a good job regardless. The kids seemed to enjoy the experiment, and many of them seemed really engaged with the lesson. It was a really fun day, and I’m grateful to have been able to be a part of it.

25. I would rate myself 4/5 for ExploreZone. The days leading up to it were super stressful as I had to change my exhibit and missed some prep due to covid, but the stress quickly dwindled after teaching the first couple of groups. The first group was a little rocky, but I quickly adapted and adjusted my exhibit accordingly. All in all, it was a very exhausting but rewarding day, and the kids will ultimately remember this experience forever.

26. My triumph this week was of course explore zone. I was nervous that it wouldn’t go well and that the kids would be bored with my exhibit. But they seemed to really like it, both the gun and balloons. If I could have improved one thing, it would have been having a better way to inflate ballons

27. I would rate Explorer Zone 4/5. Overall, it was absolutely amazing and I loved seeing the smiles on kids faces as they were excited to learn. I was so nervous about how the kids would feel about my exhibit but they seemed like they loved it. I was so tired after and honestly was still tired Friday.

28. I rate explore zone 3/5. The (4-6th) kids seemed very interested and we were well prepared. The 1-3rd kids were not super interested and the t-bots broke consistently. I think if anything we needed to be more prepared to keep the kids interested and involved in our station