Chemistry 11-10-22 Chemical Formulas with Polyatomic Ions

CHEMISTRY: How about cranking it up a notch?! First we did binary ionic compounds, and now, let’s tackle formulas with polyatomic ions. Something absolutely necessary – you have got to memorize polyatomic ions – or better yet, learn them! And practice, practice, practice!!

Another great idea, click here for a copy of the Hints for Naming Chemical Formulas Flow Chart, or find it under the Worksheet/Handouts Tab. Follow it every time you name chemical formulas!!

flickr photo by skycaptaintwo

43 thoughts on “Chemistry 11-10-22 Chemical Formulas with Polyatomic Ions

1. This week I struggled with studying the night before on the polyatomic ion quiz. I thought the polyatomic ions were different than they actually were, which caused me to study everything the night before. However, I have been reviewing the polyatomic ions every day so I can learn them well. I will also study beforehand on the big memorization test so I will not be studying last minute.

2. This week, I’ve been struggling with my polytomic ions. Specifically what charge the ion has is what I’ve been struggling with the most. Before the quiz, I got better with memorzing them. I’ve been studying them all week and have gotten better at them.

3. This week I struggled with studying for the polyatomic ions quiz. I didn’t study as much as I should have and so I forgot many of them. I will strive to study some each and every day to combat this. I will start to memorize things earlier than just two days before the quiz.

4. One thing I struggle with this week in chemistry is remembering the different polyatomic ions. Even though I know them, I still sometimes forget them and get them mixed up. I am trying to help myself remember them by refreshing my memory on them by using flash cards and testing myself.

5. This week I struggled with studying the ions I started studying a little too late even tho I didn’t good on the quiz I could have done better and studied a couple days in advance of the quiz. Also with missing the lab on Tuesday I haven’t made it up yet and I need to do that.

6. During this week I struggled with not double checking myself and looking over the polyatomic ions sheet one more time because if I did that I think I would’ve done a lot better than what I initially made. I will fix this next time by not making it a habit and looking over it just a few hours in advance so I can refresh my brain a little bit.

7. This week or last I would say I struggled on learning the polyatomic ions. I struggled because I tried to learn them last minute. I was trying to overcome this by reviewing for them every night so I wouldn’t forget them. I also try to review the element as well as the polyatomic ions.

8. This week I struggled with the polyatomic ions. I kept mixing up the charges and forgetting symbols on the quiz. On the next quiz I will make sure to study properly and not mix up the charges.

9. This week I really didn’t struggle to much but one thing I struggled with was my time management I did good in all my assignments but I was very tired because I had to stay up late to study.

10. This week I have struggled with last minute studying. I’ve always had a bad habit of studying the night before for a test. I’ve really struggled with managing my time with my home work also.

11. This week I struggled with procrastinating. I ended up doing good on all of my assignments but I stayed up late almost every night because I procrastinated about them. Next week I’m going to try and fix this by studying earlier and completing my assignments earlier.

12. I struggled with studying this week as well as catching up on all of the assignments that I missed at the beginning of the week.

13. This week I struggled with studying the night before or not paying attention in class. I ended up doing just fine, but I need to work on being more prepared

14. This week I struggled with writing and naming chemical formulas. There are many different aspects when writing chemical formulas such as, chemical symbols, if a chemical has more than one charge, and crossing the charges over. Luckily, the homework on Thursday improved my skills with naming and writing chemical formulas.

15. This week I struggled with staying motivated and paying attention in class. I thought I was 100% on the right track with the lesson from Wednesday, but then when I started the homework Thursday, I realized I didn’t know what I was doing. I plan on working hard in class to pay attention to detail and taking notes better.

16. This week I struggled with procrastinating. I studied the night before for the polyatomic ions quiz. Even though I made a good grade, I should have started studying sooner. In the future, I plan to study at least two days in advance.

17. This week I have struggled with remember polyatomic ions. I have been mixing up the charges and messed up on the quiz because of it.

18. This week I have struggled with procrastination. I have been waiting until last minute to do my work. Luckily I got all my work done. Next time I will do things in an orderly timeline.

19. This week I struggled with learning how to cross over in the stuff we just learned Thursday and Friday. It was really confusing for me. I think I am starting to get the hang of it though.

20. This week I struggled with memorizing. specifically the poly atomic ions. I also struggled with procrastinating about homework and school work. I will start to study a lot more earlier and more consistent.

21. This week I struggled with be able to cross over poly tonic and monoatomic ions. It’s not that it’s hard it’s just that it’s quit confusing and I just can’t get the hang of it.

22. This week I struggled with lazily studying and not putting my hardest effort into studying which resulted in my not getting the best grade I could. I will start to focus harder on mommy studying for quizzes and tests in order to be able to use and apply what I learned not only for the quizzes and tests but for anything later in chemistry and life.

23. This week I struggled with taking me time and going back over stuff because when I studying for the Polyatomic quiz I accidentally read some of the ions wrong as fractions instead of what they actually was. I could did better on my quiz if I had slowed down and read it throughly. Now I will start to take my time when studying to realize those small mistakes.

24. This week i struggled on my ways of studying for our 2 quizzes. Instead of writing them down, I tried to mix in a quizlet, along with notes on how to study for naming the polyatomic ions. I should have written them down repeatedly till I knew them by heart. At least now I know what to fix and how to ace the next one!

25. This week I struggled with labs when we were doing the line graphs I struggled to get the lines right next time I could be on task not get myself distracted and not be stressed out

26. This week I struggled with writing the polyatomic ion formulas. I struggled with these formulas because instead of using a thorough way to memorize them, I used different quizlets which didn’t help keep the formulas in my head.

27. This week I struggled with preparation. Although I did good on the polyatomic ions, I started studying a little bit late and rushed it all into one night. Next time, I will do better about studying multiple days before.

28. I struggled this week with the polyatomic ions. At first when I printed out the sheet a week ago before we covered the notes in class, I had no idea what they meant. Then, after doing the lab with snapping ions, it made a lot more sense. Also, to help overcome this, I made flashcards and studied them heavily, along with knowing which ones have a -1 charge and a -2 charge.

29. This week I struggled with the polyatomic ions. At first when I printed out the sheet a week ago before we covered the notes in class, I had no idea what they meant. Then, after doing the lab with snapping ions, it made a lot more sense. Also, to help overcome this, I made flashcards and studied them heavily, along with knowing which ones have a -1 charge and a -2 charge.

30. This week I did well on the polyatomic ions quiz. I did well on this because I prepared well in advance and made flash cards to study frequently.

31. This week I’ve done well at asking questions in class to make sure I understand. I don’t usually ask questions so I just sit there kind of lost, so asking questions has helped me better understand the lesson.

32. This week I’ve done better at reading my lab report and highlighting important stuff because the lab ended up being very easy. I also have been answering more questions in class which helps me learn better.

33. This week in chemistry class, I have done well with understanding how to write formulas. They are becoming easier because of all the practice we have been doing in and outside of class. This is hopefully help prepare me for the test on Friday.

34. This week in chemistry I have triumphed by getting better and faster at naming chemical formulas! I did the in class physics classroom activity in only 10 minutes! I hope this prepares me for the test, and I know the extra practice is helpful.

35. This week I’ve gotten better at reading and writing formulas. I think that all the practice we’ve been doing has really made a difference. I really hope that I’ll be able to do well on Fridays test because of it.

36. This week I have triumphed over studying early. I have made flashcards and done extra practices for the chemistry quiz on Friday. I have also been well prepared for labs and understanding them.

37. This week I did good on practicing the chemical formula and I have done a good job on getting the materials down. I did good on these things because I was well prepared this week and payed extra attention on the material. I also practiced a lot of formula writing.

38. This week I triumphed over studying ahead of time. I’ve already began studying for the quiz on friday so I will do well on it. I’ve also triumphed on being able to write formulas quicker.

39. This week I have triumphed by studying for tests early. I usually wait till the last minute to start studying for chemistry tests but this week I didn’t. I started studying for this weeks test Monday night instead of waiting till the night before the test.

40. This week I have done better than I thought I would at studying early. I also did significantly better on my polyatomic ion quiz than I did last quiz. I have been studying for the chemistry test for week to be prepared for everything that’s on it and I have been doing all my work to be prepared for class.

41. This week in chemistry one thing I did well is remembering all the chemical formulas and names. I found it difficult to keep all of these different formulas and names separate and remembering what goes with what so when I actually figured out how to do that it was a triumph for me. What helped me keep all these separate and remembering all of the different chemical names and formulas was flash cards and just simply using certain methods to help me remember them.

42. One thing I did well in chemistry this week is actually studying ahead of time and not waiting until the last minute. I did that because last time i waited until the last minute to study for something big it didn’t end very well, but I hope this time it will make a change.