Hon Chemistry 9-19-22 Lighting a Bunsen Burner

CHEMISTRY – Here’s a great refresher on lighting a Bunsen burner! By the way, in lab today, look closely and you may get to see a green flame when you put the copper wire in the flame. The electrons in the copper atoms were being excited and they gave off a green flame. Cool!!

Below is a slideshow with .everything you wanted to know about a Bunsen burner and how to light it. Be sure and view the slide show BEFORE you take turn in your lab sheets and take the test.

Tomorrow we’ll continue with Parts 4 – 6. Be sure and read ahead before you come to class! Also, make double dog sure you are keeping up with the observations in each part and answering ALL of the questions at the end of the lab on pg. 17 – 18. There are a TON of them! Check your syllabus for due dates!

16 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 9-19-22 Lighting a Bunsen Burner

1. Scientists discovered that you can make diamonds out of plastic. A laser sends a schlock through plastic that creates nano diamonds, and this shows us what could be occurring on planets such as Uranus and Neptune.

2. This week I struggled with time management. In class we had to finish our labs in class time even though this was 50 minutes; it was difficult to do 3 different labs in one day. In the future I’ll make a mental plan of how to do the lab to spend my time more efficiently.

3. Researches have found a way to make quantum sensors environmentally friendly by making the sensor run on sunlight. What makes this discovery unique is that the device doesn’t use solar cells to turn light into electricity, but rather the sunlight takesover the job of the lasers light. This is said to be the “first step in the melding of quantum and environmentally sustainable technology.”
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/quantum-sensor-sunlight-environment-magnetic-field

• I researched a recent study on laser lights transforming plastic into diamonds. Researchers used the plastic from soda bottles and laser blasted them into tiny diamonds. The laser overheated the plastic and caused it to be squeezed into tiny, nano sized diamonds. These diamonds could lead to further studies on ice planets such as Neptune and Uranus.

4. This week I struggled with planning out my time in class in order to get all of our assignments completed. During class a couple of days we had to complete long labs or even multiple labs which took some time managements skills. Next time I will estimate how long each part of the lab will take me. I will also plan out with my lab partner a certain time to stop and begin cleaning up. This way we are properly prepared beforehand and know when we need to wrap up the lab.

5. This week I struggled with self doubt. Although the lab instructions were detailed, a good bit of inference, previous knowledge, and common sense were needed to correctly execute these labs. In the future I will trust myself more and not hesitate as much, as well as trust my lab partner more.

6. This week I struggled with trusting my own ability to complete the lab. I was constantly worried that I was going to make a mistake even though I was following what the instructions said. I also struggled with keeping a grasp on how much time I had to do each lab. I can fix this in the future by trusting my lab partner and I’s ability to correctly handle the lab and be aware of our time limit.

7. An interesting discovery in science has been made recently. Scientists were able to transform plastic into diamonds using laser lights. These small diamonds could be used for advanced tech such as quantum computing and/or sensors. These experiments also offer insight into the ice giants of our solar system. These planets have a similar environment to the conditions seen in the experiment.
    https://www.snexplores.org/article/diamonds-laser-plastic-bottle-planets-physics

8. Recently in chemistry, I have struggled with planning ahead. This includes not only assignments that I have to turn in but also studying. To fix this, I have trying to evenly distribute my homework throughout the week. This way I will not be overloaded with assignments on one specific night.

9. This week I rate myself a 4/5 because I was able to gather all of my data for the braking distance lab with time to spare, and I quickly understood all of the concepts explained in class. However, I struggled with keeping up with all of my assignments from both physics and my other classes. I will fix this next week by writing down everything I need to do at the beginning of the week.

10. This week I struggled with being able to do all the instructions in a lab by myself. A few of the steps along the way puzzled me and I needed help from my lab partner. I have tried fixing this by reading more into the lab before the lab day. This will help me be more prepared and understanding on what to do.

11. This week I struggled with motivation. I was lazy when reading lab procedures, and when I got to the lab, I wasted time going back and rereading the material. I also haven’t had as much motivation towards studying for this test like I did the last one. I plan on fixing this by giving my undivided attention to the task at hand and by putting away distractions such as my phone.

12. This week I struggled with trusting myself to do the graphs by my self. I would always ask if this was right or if this was wrong and asking what to do. I would do that instead of trusting myself to make a graph.

13. This week I struggled with trusting myself to do the graphs by my self. I would always ask if this was right or if this was wrong and asking what to do. I would do that instead of trusting myself to make a graph.