Chemistry 9-13-22 Fundamental Science Skills Graphing Activity

Quick – list 10 things you remember from the 8th grade about interpreting and reading graphs! Not to worry – today you’re going to begin reviewing those important concepts and techniques. Here is your assignment for today, Tuesday:

IMPORTANT: Today’s assignment is one that you will have to complete at school. The program is on the school laptops and on the computers in the computer lab.

1. Find the “Fundamental Science Skills” program on your computer.
  2. In the Graphing Skills section, click on “Graphing Data Points.” Read through and practice in each section VERY CAREFULLY!
  3. After you have completed each review section, go to the exam and complete it.
    • You must enter your name in the exact format you do when you title a lab – including the title of the activity.
    • Click on “Check Your Answers.” When you have 100% accuracy, bring your lap top to me to check your Check Answers Results Sheet. If you are doing the assignment outside of our class period, print off your exam results sheet and bring it to me to check.
    • IMPORTANT: Your answers and the format of it all must match exactly to receive credit. (Sometimes being exactly correct is extremely important!)
  4. The Graphing Data Points assignment is due by the end of the class period today.
  5. When you finish, next go to the Worksheet Tab and begin Graphing Exercises 2. Be sure and sign in to your own @ncstrojans Google account before you begin the activity.

Holler if you have any questions!

37 thoughts on “Chemistry 9-13-22 Fundamental Science Skills Graphing Activity

1. I struggle with heavily procrastinating. Yes, my life is busy, but I still have a lot of time to study and get a little extra practice in. I am planning on making a schedule and not letting myself do other stuff before I get my homework and studying done.

2. I struggle a lot lot with forgetfulness. As you can see this is my first web post I have done. It’s more that I have so much going on that i forget about the little things. I’ve started setting up reminders on my phone to help me remember so i don’t keep forgetting about the little things we have to do like web posts.

3. One of the things I struggle with is procrastinating with tests by waiting till the last minute to start studying. How I am going to fix this is by starting days in advance so I will not pile it up on myself because I normally will have other tests that day as well to study for other than chemistry.

4. Orcas, also known as killer whales, have recently been discovered attacking the largest creature on earth. A team of scientists were headed out off the coast of West Australia to observe orcas when they came upon fifty or so orcas killing a blue whale. Orcas have never been known to attack these creatures, so this was a new discovery. The orcas’ strategy was to bite the whale’s fins, tail, and jaw to slow it down, then push the whale down to prevent it from breathing while simultaneously stopping it from diving by pushing it up. The hunt involved the entire pack, and once the whale was dead, the pack began to feast on the freshly killed carcass of the whale.

5. One thing I struggle with is giving up. I am good at sitting down to do my homework and staying focused, but if I get too tired I will just stop and go to sleep even though I have a quiz to study for the next day. I am going to fix this by starting my homework earlier.

6. I am struggling with studying at the last minute. I know that it I study more in advance than I would make better grades and do less cramming. I will get better at this by putting my school work before sports or anything else.

7. One thing I have been struggling with is procrastinating homework and tests. Im waiting till the last minute to do things that should of already been done. In the outcome of me procrastinating my grades are dropping and im having to learn how to use my time wisely.

8. I enjoyed this in class practice because it was a great review and also taught me more. I struggled with being precise and knowing what to exactly name the graph and the x and y axis’s, but the pre-exam information and the ability to do it over again helped me now concretely know that when labeling a graph, it is “Graph of Y vs. X”.

9. This past week I have really struggled with procrastinating to do my makeup work. I realize that getting my school work done is top priority, but I get distracted by other things going on outside of school and push back getting my work done.

10. I struggle a lot with doing things in time, or doing things as soon as I can. I usually wait until the last minute to do things and most of the time it goes south for me. I plan on spending less time on the game and more time planning ahead and doing the important stuff first.

11. I have really struggled over the past few weeks with the amount of workload from Chemistry and making better study habits for future tests and quizzes. I made a lower grade than I would have liked on the test so in the future I would like to study longer, harder, and in different ways. I am practicing writing things down, not procrastinating, and studying in advance.

12. I struggle with not rushing through my
    homework. I need to make sure I am learning
    instead of just trying to finish it quick. I can do this by going slow and making sure I know how to work the chemistry problems.

13. One of the things I struggle with is procrastination. I always wait till the last minute to start studying for a big test or quiz. I am going to fix this by breaking down the information into sections and studying a couple days in advance before the test/quiz so then I don’t feel overwhelmed with the amount of information I have to learn.

14. I struggle with a very bad habit of procrastinating. Even though I have a lot of time I can be studying or doing my make up work, I always find something else to do rather than doing my homework. I’m hoping to break this habit before the school year is over to help me with the years ahead

15. Lately I have been struggling with finding different ways to study. I can fix this by asking for advice on studying and asking others what they do when they study. I can also try all the different methods that I find.

16. This week I’ve struggled with the stress of school. Getting things done and not procrastinating has been difficult. I have been waiting till last minute to do my homework and I need to get out of that habit. I’ve also struggled with finding a new way to study for Chemistry. I usually study with quizlet, but I now know that that isn’t going to work with Chemistry. I’ve been working on using flashcards and going back through my notes and vodcasts.

17. This week I have been struggling with discouragement after not doing as well on my chemistry test as I had hoped. I know I can fix this by reminding myself it is only the first test, and I can always learn and improve in preparation for the next one. I can also review the studying tactics that I used and eliminate habits that might not be necessary to use when studying for chemistry.

18. This week in chemistry I have struggled with getting all of the labs and assignments done quickly and efficiently. I tend to make things too complicated, which causes me to take much longer to finish things. To fix this, I can remove any distractions and just follow instructions step by step rather than thinking about it too much.

19. I’ve been struggling with trying to focus in class. Chemistry is the hardest to focus for me because its my first class of the day and I’m still waking up. To fix this, I can try to wake up earlier to try to wake up faster and get ready for the day faster.

20. This week I definitely struggled with studying for the test this week. I think I let too many distractions get in my way while studying causing me to not do as well on the test as I wanted.

21. This week I have struggled with keeping track of my homework and procrastination. I can fix this by writing down my homework for the week and putting it with my school things. This way I will see it when I do my homework. I can also start on homework assignments as soon as I can rather than waiting until late at night to do them.

22. This week I struggled with being prepared for this chemistry test I can improve myself next time by studying the correct information and practice with different problems that we learned in class.

23. I’ve been struggling a lot with procrastination and being very forgetful of the little things. I don’t know why but lately i have been waiting till the last minute to complete assignments, especially some of the homework and web posts. I can fix this by changing my studying habits for test and quizzes and setting reminders for myself through the week.

24. Something i struggle with is procrastination. I end up doing homework or printing something right before the class period. i have been waiting until the last two days to do my web posts. i can fix this issue by setting reminders and staying organized.

25. Something i struggle with is procrastination. I end up doing homework or printing something right before the class period. i have been waiting until the last two days to do my web posts. i can fix this issue by setting reminders and staying organized.

26. I struggle with using my time wisely and procrastinating. I am busy with other stuff but chemistry is very important. I need to take more time out of my day to study instead of scrolling on my phone. I can fix this problem by setting an alarm or a setting a certain time after school that I have to spend studying chemistry.

27. There has been many scientific discoveries recently. Scientists have discovered a gigantic cavitation in space which has helped us understand how stars form. In addition to this, the James Webb Space Telescope just took the clearest images of the Orion belt. The Orion Belt is one of the closest nebulas to earth. These images could help us discover more about this region.

28. I am struggling with chemistry when it comes to word problems especially dealing with Q-formula. When there is a Q-formula problem it is always hard for me to pick out which number goes where. After I figure out the numbers I can do it I just struggle with how to set the numbers up in the first place. I started writing out a little road map to help me figure out what conversions can go where. I also started writing out all the conversions it gave me to isolate the one number I need to start with. I also struggle with how I study for tests and have started studying a different way by separating what I need to apply and memorize and that has helped me a lot.

29. As I’ve said before… I struggle with sitting still and making myself study, especially with a subject like chemistry that requires studying many types of parts and areas. I get distracted by other things and I end up dropping studying to either get on my phone or do something else. I can fix that by getting rid of all distractions like not taking my phone with me to study or going to a quiet place.

30. This week I struggled with reading instructions well in Chemistry. I will do this differently by taking time to read through the instructions and check them before I ask a verbal question.

31. This week I struggled with the Excel graphing activity. I made a few small mistakes but it was enough to mess up the entire graph. But I figured out what I did wrong and fixed it, so I ended up doing well on the graph.

32. One thing I struggled with this week was turning stuff in without forgetting. multiple times i forgot to turn it in until the last second

33. I’m struggling with pacing myself. I speed through all of my problems and end up forgetting to put units after my answer. I am also struggling with teamwork. I don’t like having to rely on people. I need how to work with people for future jobs.

34. I struggled with catching up because I was absent. And I also struggled with studying so I hope to improve it by studying daily.