Physics 12-3-21 Power & the Horsepower Lab

PHYSICS: So how many horsepower do you have? Hmmmm…..

Here’s the super short lecture from today on power – beginning with #46 from last night’s homework, and then a quick look at the power lab. Now go forth and conquer the power problems!

Need answers? Here are the Chapter 5 Review Worksheet 2 Answers:
3.) 1090 J
4.) 1350 J
5.) 79%
6.) 917 W
8.) 9.57 kW
12.) 420 N
14.) 1300 J
18a.) -125 N
18b.) -2190 J
18c.) 0.360
19.) 4380 J

flickr photo by Thomas Hawk

11 thoughts on “Physics 12-3-21 Power & the Horsepower Lab

1. This week I would rate myself a 2.5/5 stars because I did good on the conservation of energy lab that we did in class and understood the concepts behind the lab. However, I struggled with setting up the take home lab and with the efficiency problems we worked in the homework.

2. This week I would rate myself a 3/5. I did fairly well on the homeworks this week, and I am starting to better understand the concepts and problems on work and energy. However, I struggled with a few of the homework problems this week. The conservation of energy lab was also successful since me and my lab partner were able to finish before the end of the class period with correct data. I also struggled with the take home lab a little bit. At first my can kept spinning in circles when I would release the pencil, so I had to take the time to fix that issue, and overall I took way longer performing that lab than I should have.

3. R-Rate
    This week I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 stars. I did well on most of the book problems in our homework on Monday and Tuesday. I was also able to redo the mass of a physics textbook lab and ended up having a small percent error. However, I still have not been able to properly do the friction coefficient of wood on wood lab. I also missed class on both Friday and Saturday this week and feel like it might be a bit of a struggle to catch up on the classes I missed those days.

4. I would rate myself 2/5 stars this week. I had a very busy week this week, and my interview added a lot of pressure that I hadn’t anticipated. Because of this I got really behind on my homework, so I’ll need to buckle down this weekend to get it all finished.

5. This week I would rate myself a 2/5 stars. The workload this week has increased greatly compared to past weeks due to the term nearing the end and I have found myself becoming slightly overwhelmed with the work. I understand some parts of what we are learning but I haven’t quite yet pieced it all together where it all makes sense uniformly. I also struggled with the problems on the homework, it is hard to figure out the process for some of them.

6. I would rate myself 2/5 stars this week. I had a very busy week this week, and my interview added a lot of pressure that I hadn’t anticipated. Because of this I got really behind on my homework, so I’ll need to buckle down this weekend to get it finished.

7. I rate myself a 3/5 this week, I am still struggling with converting energy into speed and distance, but I did pretty good with the simple machine problems. And I understand the concept moderately well.

8. I would rate myself a 2.5/5 for this week. I am not doing terrible. However, I am feeling extremely overwhelmed with the workload and I am stressing myself out by thinking of all that is to come in the next week. This has caused me to lose a lot of motivation, as I have already defeated myself by stressing so much. Also, the coefficient of friction lab is not going well for me. But, otherwise, I am actually understanding things decently in class. I like work problems and I think I understand this section conceptually a lot better than previous chapters. I am just going to keep reviewing and trying my best to stay motivated.

9. This week I would rate myself 1.7/5 stars. I am almost completely lost and confused with all of our problems especially work which isn’t too good this close to a test. I also had a very busy last few weeks and I’m getting overwhelmed and unmotivated to stay in top of my work. This weekend I will need to take a few hours to correct that. I have however gotten an early start on my write ups which I rarely do so I don’t have to work too much on those this weekend which is nice.

10. I would rate myself a 1.5/5 this week. I am very much struggling with almost everything in school in general, and I can’t seem to find enough time in the day to get all of my work done on time or ahead of time. I am also not getting near enough sleep, which is quite bad with softball, cheer, and the absolutely insane amount of work we have. Hopefully I can get all of my physics done this weekend and maybe start studying for the test.

11. This week was 100% a struggle. I was just extremely exhausted and I had so much school work to do that I was struggling to keep up with it. This weekend, I am going to try to manage my time wisely and work as hard as I can to ensure that I do not have too much work to stress over next week, and I am going to rely on the Lord because I know I really cannot do this on my own.