Chemistry 12-2-21 Moles, Mass, Atoms & Avogadro

CHEMISTRY: So… how big a bucket do you think we’d need to hold a mole of frogs? 🙂

Nope, not the furry brown creature that burrows underground, it’s a whole different thing! Here’s our discussion from Thursday on moles, mass, and Avogadro’s number. I still say he has a cool name… 🙂

flickr photo by Thomas Hawk

24 thoughts on “Chemistry 12-2-21 Moles, Mass, Atoms & Avogadro

1. What is the standard atom and what is the average atomic mass of in element in grams? The standard is carbon 12 and there is an average of 6.022 x 10 23rd power grams in every element.

2. What is the chemical formula for a fire extinguisher with the chemical name sodium bicarbonate. The chemical formula is NaHCO₃.

3. Question: What is the chemical formula for Aluminum Phosphate?
    Answer: AlPO₄
    I got this answer because aluminum has a charge of positive 3. Phosphate is a polyatomic ion and has a charge of negative 3. once I cross the threes over, they cancel out leaving the answer as AlPO₄

4. Question: What if their was a atoms were larger than there normal size now?

Answer: If atoms were bigger the nucleus would be more unstable and break apart and their would be more explosions because more people would split the atom even thought they probably didn’t mean too.

5. What is the molar mass for Hydrogen permanganate? HMnO4.

1H x 1g = 1g
    1Mn x 55g = 55g
    4-O x 16g = 64g

HMnO4 molar mass = 120 grams

6. My question for this week coming from this chapter is: What’s the difference between AMU and g. The difference is amu is the unit for molar mass while g is the unit and abbreviation for grams.

7. My question for this week coming from this chapter is: What’s the difference between amu and g. The difference is amu is to express the mass on an atomic level but g is the unit of the mass

8. My question for this week coming from this chapter is: how would you translate a chemical formula with a transition metal? Element ( Roman numeral) element.

9. I would rate this semester 4/5. I struggled with doing labs at first and I failed to turn in assignments on a few occasions, but in the end, I adapted to the difficulties and now I have an A to prove it. The subject is definitely interesting and I only wish the class wasn’t as intense so I could appreciate the lessons a little more.

10. This semester I rate myself 3/5. I struggled with all my test, but I stayed positive. I will do better by taking good notes and asking more questions. Next semester I will try my best to stay focused and work harder in this class.