Physics 11-3-21 Friction on Inclines

PHYSICS: Who knew snow skiing could be so complicated! Well…friction problems on an incline anyway. First, here are problems 37, 38 and 49 from the homework and then our discussion of friction problems on an incline.

Back to the problems – remember, drawing the diagram is super, super important. Label all the forces and apply the concepts you know about net forces and resultant forces – let it tell you a story. 🙂

Here is some info you might find helpful in the future:
Wed night answers

flickr photo by t i g

6 thoughts on “Physics 11-3-21 Friction on Inclines

1. A struggle I had this week was redoing the sparkvue lab. The first time we attempted this lab with had the wrong procedure and ended up with a very high percent error so we had to redo the lab. When we went to redo it, we encountered several problems with technology and procedure that caused us to have a percent error that was still too high. To fix this in the future, we will redo the sparkvue lab and try to eliminate more reasons for error to get more accurate data so that we will be in the right range for percent error.

2. Struggle
    This week (and last week) my partner and I struggled with the Sparkvue lab. We discovered that we did it COMPLETELY wrong, because instead of changing the mass on the cart to find the mass of the book, we were changing the force on the end of the wire. This resulted in us building a contraption to hang the book off of the edge of the track using wire. Not very bright on our part. However, this week we overcame this struggle by learning to change the mass on top of the cart in order to find the “unknown” mass of the book. Once we did that, we were able to make a graph of mass and acceleration and find the unknown mass of the book with only about 1.6% error.

3. S – Struggle
    This week my struggle was the SparkVue lab, similar to everyone else. We first did the lab completely incorrectly by dropping the book rather than putting the book on the cart and dropping with a constant force. Although we did it incorrectly, we had to come back and do it again because our data was unreadable. We then find out that day in class that we will have to redo everything again. So this would be our third time doing this lab. What makes this even better is that even after doing it for a third time, our data is so bad we will most likely have to do this again. So yeah, SparkVue as a whole was a complete struggle. I hope to learn from our mistakes, but I am not sure most of these are to be learned from. Hopefully SparkVue will work better for me in the future.

4. I would rate this week a 3/5. For the lab, my partner and I apparently did not do the processes correctly at all. As opposed to putting the book on the cart to find it’s mass, we decided a contraption to hand the book from the pulley. In hindsight, this is ridiculous. However, on our redo, we had a very clear plan and we accomplished our goal with ease, coming away with 1.6% error. The rest of the week was okay. I understood most of the concepts we went over in class, but some of the problems were difficult to figure out.

5. This week I struggled a lot with the sparkvue lab. Even after finding out that we did the lab completely wrong the first time and doing it right the second time we still only managed a 13% error rather than 10%. We only got down to a 3% error after many minutes discussing how to. I also started to struggle with the new friction problems and was unable to do a whole homework, but with the tiny class on Friday I was able to understand these problems way better and feel a lot more confident when I work them.

6. This week I struggled a lot with the lab. Even after finding out that we did the lab completely wrong the first time and doing it right the second time we still only managed a 13% error rather than 10%. We only got down to a 3% error after many minutes discussing how to. I also started to struggle with the new friction problems and was unable to do a whole homework, but with the tiny class on Friday I was able to understand these problems way better and feel a lot more confident when I work them.