Hon Chemistry 10-19-20 Elements & Intro to the Periodic Table

HON CHEMISTRY – Wow! Do you realize what we just did?!? We finished the chapter!!! Did you feel like today was mostly review?

A great resource to research the elements Cu, Si and P (for the TEST!!) are these video clips on copper, phosphorus, and silicon that a group of chemistry researchers have put together at www.periodicvideos.com. Watch these and take notes. The information on these video clips will be on the test.

Hey, have you had a chance to check out the chapter 1 study suggestion sheet? Let me know if there is anything you need help with before the test! (And you’re still learning the symbols of the elements, right?!?)
🙂

20 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 10-19-20 Elements & Intro to the Periodic Table

1. My goal for the second term is to get all As on my test and stay on top of my work in chemistry. I will doing this by studying diligently, and waiting till the last minute to do anything.

• Ask-
      Q-why are noble gases in a family all by themselves l, instead of being spread around the table
      A- the noble gases are all inert, don’t react, and family’s are made of elements that are all similar in characteristics

2. Ask: What would happen if you tried to separate non-water soluble ink in water by photo chromatography?
    Answer: The ink would not separate. For photo chromatography to work, the ink being separated must be placed in a substance that it is soluble in.

3. Ask: How do we know we’ve REALLY discovered all the elements possible?

Answer: We can break down things in the world and break them down to the smallest possible entity and end up with elements from the periodic table. The fact that that’s all we will ever end up with is basis enough to say that we’ve discovered all naturally occurring elements as possible.

4. Ask: If a pure substance can’t be broken down by physical means, how would you be able to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen in water?

Answer: You can use electrolysis, a method of chemical separation that involves passing an electric current through the water which causes it to break down into hydrogen and oxygen.

5. Ask: If a random element was given to you, how would you be able to determine what type of element it is (metal, nonmetal, metalloid)?

Answer: All types of elements have distinct properties unique to that type of element. You could conduct a series of tests to determine if the element is malleable or brittle, its state at room temperature, how good of a conductor it is, and how reactive it is. Based on your findings, you could determine the type of element by its properties.

6. Q- We learned that noble gases are inert or don’t react. So is there a way to force one, if any, to react?

A- A British chemist Neil Bartlett discovered that he could take away an electron, with a certain amount of energy, from the noble gas Xenon. He used platinum hexafluoride to oxidise (remove an electron from an element) Xenon, causing it to react!

7. Ask- Can you separate a compound, and if you can how?

You can only separate compounds by chemical means, one method to separate substances by chemical means is electrolysis, which is using volts of electricity to separate substances.

8. Ask: If elements can’t be separated by chemical means or physical means, can elements be separated at all?
    Answer: Elements are not able to be separated by ordinary chemical means; although elements can in a way be broken down by a unique method. Nuclear fission, or the splitting of atoms. Scientists can shoot neutrons, going at the exact right speed, at the nucleus of atoms to strain them enough to break. This can release ample amounts of energy to start a chain reaction creating things such as atomic bombs. While the element loses its identity after the atoms split losing their identity of protons, neutrons, and electrons. So, the element is no longer, but it has been broken down into something new.

9. Q: One thing I’ve always kind of wondered is why balloons pop when they reach higher temperatures. And, until this chapter, I’ve never really been able to answer this.

A: Basically, balloons pop at higher temperatures because the gas in the balloon expands as the balloon gets hotter. This occurs because gas particles, when heated, expand over a larger volume, while keeping the same mass. Because they do this, the gas particles eventually press up too hard and stress the balloon too much, which causes the rubber in the balloon to overstretch itself, causing it to pop.

10. Reflect- I did better on this test then our last chapter test, but still didn’t get the grade I wanted. A lot of the multiple choice that I missed, I originally had the correct answer marked but doubted myself later on and put an incorrect response. I knew the information and I studied well so next time I’m gonna go with my initial answer.

11. Reflect- I would give myself 2 stars. I did better on this test then our last chapter test, but still didn’t get the grade I wanted. A lot of the multiple choice that I missed, I originally had the correct answer marked but doubted myself later on and put an incorrect response. I knew the information and I studied well so next time I’m gonna go with my initial answer.

12. R- i think i did well on starting studying early but i don’t think i studied enough i think next time i need to study for longer. i would rate myself a 2/5

13. Rate: I would give myself a 3.5 out of 5 starts on my Chapter 1 test. I did much better on this test than my chapter 2 test. I studied by making a study guide based off the “what to study” so i think i understood the material more, but i was hasty with the multiple choice which resulted in missing more than i wanted to. I am overall happy with my grade but am hoping to do better on the next one.

14. Reflect: I would give myself 4 stars because I studied well, and I recalled most of the information. I didn’t give myself 5 stars because I missed more multiple choice than I should have, and I didn’t think through the discussion well. Next time, I will practice discussion questions at home and thoroughly study each topic.

15. Rate: I would give myself 3 stars on my Chapter 1 test, because I could have studied better. I should have been able to apply the material better. Also, if I gave myself enough time to really think about what the question is asking, I believe I would have scored higher.

16. Rate and Reflect: I would rate myself 5 stars on the Chapter 1 Test and Preparation. I am usually really hard on myself, but I worked efficiently to prepare for the test. I studied the material ahead of time and made sure to cover everything on the study suggestions sheet/ my own study sheet. I could have worked more on application questions/ discussion questions, but otherwise, I did quite well on this test. I know to use similar methods in the future.

17. Rate and reflect: I’d give me ch 1 test a 3.5 out of 5. I tried my best with studying and preparing for it but I just wish I had a better outcome. They grade isn’t terrible but I definitely can do better. I’ll improve my grade by studying a little more in advance so that I’m not cramming the night or 2 before hand but instead studying a few days before so I can learn the information instead of memorizing

18. Rate and reflect: I would rate myself a 4/5 this week. I prepared well for the test, and I did better on this rather than the last chapter test. The one thing I would change is putting more detail into the discussion questions. I didn’t put enough information and I got a lot of points counted off. I’m going to keep preparing early for the tests though like I did for this test.

19. Rate and Reflect: I would rate my test performance a 4/5 this week. Although I did good on memorization and application, I made a few dumb mistakes by not reading the questions fully. I’ll continue to study in the same way, spreading out my time over a few different days, but next time I’ll focus more on making good decisions WHILE I’m taking the test.