Lost in the Taklamakan – The Last Weekend!!!

I’m praying for you as you finalize working on your project this weekend. I believe in you! You can do it!!!

Lots of good questions and discussion in class today. I’ve posted a vodcast from one of the classes below. And click here for a copy of the Final Notes & Advice Sheet that we talked about in class
Here are a few hints and advice – lots more great stuff in that sheet!

1. Make sure you internally document everything! That includes anything you talk about. Also, make sure your illustrations have an internal documentation on them. (Yes, you have to have illustrations! If you don’t something’s wrong.)

2. As a chemist, you must talk about all 23 items – why they would be good to use or why you would not want to use them. NEVER say you had no use for the item. You will not get credit if you do.

3. Don’t wait to do your Works Cited page last. Do it before you finish the final draft of your paper. It takes a while to compile a Works Cited and if you don’t have one, I cannot accept your paper. It would be better to have a few mistakes in your paper than to not turn in a Works Cited.

4. Save as you go! Go ahead and save a copy of your latest rough draft in your Shared folder – label it rough draft for now. This way, if something happens in your drive or if your computer crashes at the last minute, I’ll be able to see that you have been working on your paper.

5. Get someone that you trust to read over your paper and check it against the project guideline sheet that I gave you – especially the Manuscript Form Checklist. They’ll be able to help you find things you might have left off.

You can do great things! I believe in you and I can’t wait to read your paper!

Image by Walter Frehner from Pixabay

28 thoughts on “Lost in the Taklamakan – The Last Weekend!!!

1. Q – How does the law of definite proportion apply to a piece of gold found in the desert and a piece of gold found in California?

A – Both of these pieces of gold have the same percent composition which will never change.

2. Q-Will an isotope with more neutrons have a greater or lesser mass than another atom?
    A- The isotope with more neutrons will have a greater mass compared to the same element with less neutrons.

3. Q- Why do protium, deuterium, and tritium have different mass numbers if they all have the same number of protons and electrons?

A- All three isotopes have different numbers of neutrons in their nucleuses, which impacts their mass numbers.

4. Q: what is the gold foil experiment?
    A: The gold foil experiment is when particles were shot through an atom to find out what is in the atom. This experiment found that there is a nucleus in the atom that is very small.

5. Q- If an atom is made up of mostly empty space, then how is anything solid?
    A-It is because of how small the atoms are, and how many there are compacted in one small space. It’s also because of the electrons moving so fast around the nucleus.

6. Q: How and why are isotopes formed in nature?

A: Isotopes are formed when the nucleus decays or when a nuclear reaction occurs.

• Q: How and why are isotopes formed in nature?

7. Q: If an element has 37 and its atomic mass is 67, how many protons and electrons does it have? What element is it?

A: The element is zinc with 30 protons and 30 electrons.

8. What does a mass number on a element teach you? And how do you find the charge?

The mass number tells you the number of protons plus neutrons and to find the charge you add the protons and the electrons

9. Q: why did Thomson name his model plum pudding.

A: to help people that weren’t necessarily educated to grasp the concept.

10. Q: why do isotopes have a charge that’s not neutral
    A: isotopes have a different number of electrons then protons so they aren’t neutral you can get the charge my subtracting the number of electrons from neutrons

11. This week I rate myself a 4/5. I was excited to get to do the Ready, Set, Escape design challenge. I was also really happy with the test I turned in. Overall just felt like a good week all in all. I am ready and excited to learn about sound waves!

12. Q: What is atomic mass and how do u find it
    the number protons and neutrons. to find it you add up the mass of protons and neutrons

13. Q. How does the charge effect the electrons ?
    A. Based on the charge you will either add or subtract electrons from the original.

14. Q: Why does protium, deuterium, and tritium have different mass numbers even when they have the same number of neutrons and protons?
    A: Because all three isotopes have different numbers of neutrons in the nucleus and impacts the mass number.

15. Q: How can Carbon have 12,13,14,etc number of electrons when it only has a set number of protons?

A; Because the isotopes in the element vary, which causes different numbers electrons, which leads to having more or less electrons.