PHYSICS 11-11-20 Vertical Fish Forces & Forces with Pulleys and Friction

PHYSICS: Not sure if you’d ever find a fish on an elevator, but you sure could treat the problem like it was! Here a look at the fish on a line problem, and then, a different take on forces – an application of horizontal forces, vertical forces, friction, all at once!

Wow! Amazing job solving these problems – can you now go see if you can solve them by yourself?

Help session tomorrow, 7:30h A.M.

flickr photo by Elisa Dudnikova

8 thoughts on “PHYSICS 11-11-20 Vertical Fish Forces & Forces with Pulleys and Friction

1. This week I had a triumph. I did very well on the homework this week. I did well because I fully understood the concepts we went over. Also, I did well because I worked on the problems whenever I had free time. This allowed me to practice the problems after going over the concepts rather than working on them later in the day or week. Also, I did well with the vertical force problems this week because I thought them through until I understood the concept behind them. Also, I did well this week because I got ahead in my work so I would not have as much homework at night. Overall, this was a really good week because I understood the problems and the work we did. I felt less stressed than usual because I was able to complete the work ahead of time because I understood the concepts from class.

2. This week, I rate myself a 4/5. These problems have come very easily to me, and I enjoy doing them. I have worked steadily on my work for this week so I have not been overwhelmed or procrastinating. I think this test will be a good one. I am glad we have the weekend to study. I need to go back and rework some of the problems from the beginning to make sure I remember how to do them. The lab today went well; Taryn and I work together very well. We completed it in one day! That was exciting, since the last lab I did took a couple days to complete. Even though I wasn’t completely sure what I was doing in this lab, we quickly figured it out, and we succeeded!

3. I rate myself a 3.5/5 this week. I haven’t had much trouble on most of the problems we’ve done, but there are some that I have still not been able to figure/out do on my own. I have been pretty out of it for the last few days, so I think that is probably contributing to my difficulty in completing certain problems. I am nervous for the test on Monday, but I think if I do a lot of practice and really make an effort to fully understand the conceptual stuff, I will be able to improve from the last test! I am very thankful that we have a whole weekend to study!

4. I had a triumph this week. I have been having some problems getting stuck on the problems in this chapter but the forces review worksheet showed me that I have improved. When I first attempted all the problems, I was only able to complete four and get the right. The next time I went through it I got all but five. Two of those I just needed to ask how I should interpret how to draw them and then I was able to work them. The other three I did need some guidance on but for the most part, I did them all by myself and got them all right. The worksheet helped me see just how much I had improved and most of my problems were fixed when I had fresh eyes. This weekend I will work on getting fatter at working the problems in preparation for our test monday. 🙂

5. I gotta give myself a 3.5/5. I understand all of the concepts except maybe the Zorba problem. I feel that I am ready for the test on Monday if I just quickly review over everything.

6. This week I would rate myself a 3/5. I did really well with finishing and understanding our homework problems. However, I struggled with the coefficient of friction lab. It is very frustrating that I have to redo ANOTHER lab, but maybe this will be the last one. I plan on studying hard this weekend for the test on Monday, and hopefully I do well.

7. This week I rate myself a 4/5. I did pretty decently with the problems this week. I’m very excited that you very graciously raised our allowed percent error, it is very appreciated. I feel really good about the verticle and horizontal problems. My only difficulty is when they combine together into the problems on an incline. I think the test will be ok, I just need to work some more problems to make sure I’m ready.

8. This week I rate myself a 4/5. I did pretty decently with the problems this week. I’m very excited that you very graciously raised our allowed percent error, it is very appreciated. I feel really good about the verticle and horizontal problems. My only difficulty is when they combine together into the problems on an incline. I think the test will be ok, I just need to work some more problems to make sure I’m ready.