Chemistry 2-27-20 Chapter 4 Test Overview

CHEMISTRY: God bless as you study for the chapter 4 test! Here’s our overview of the chapter from today and the practice we did on the problems, etc. Below that is an old help session that we did before the test one year. I think it would be great practice for you!

Speaking of help session – tomorrow morning, Friday, 7:20ish A.M. Come with a list of things you’d like to practice!

Have you checked out the Chapter 4 Stuff to Know Sheet? Make sure you memorize the things you need to memorize so that you can apply them on the test. And practice, practice, practice, the problems and electron configurations.

What about applications for discussion? Neon signs, photoelectric effect, spectroscopy, etc.? Another great idea for studying is to watch the videos that we watched in class – super helpful as you study for the test!! Check them out on the the earlier lesson web posts. Here are some of them:
Spectrum of the Stars (overivew of the results of the spectroscopy lab you did, shows the connection between our lab on spectroscopy and how we can identify elements), Emission Spectrum of Hydrogen (how we use it to know about the energy levels in an atom), Quantum Mechanics (about the roles of Bohr, Schrodinger, Heisenberg), and also Animated Quantum Mechanics.

God bless you! I’m praying for you!!

flickr photo by Marla J Aleman

Help Session repost:

Chemistry 2-14-17 Chapter 4 Help Session from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

35 thoughts on “Chemistry 2-27-20 Chapter 4 Test Overview

1. This week I rate myself a 4/5. Overall this week has been great. I have fully prepared for the test, and it will be great. To get to 5/5 I believe I could write my notes neater. So I will work on writing my notes neater.

2. In my Science in the News, a fish called Killifish, are able to stop their aging process. The scientist are trying to research to see if we can use this same process on humans to increase the life expectancy.

3. In my SitN this week, I learned about how a large percent of microplastics in mud/water can kill off worms faster. They did an experiment on worms in which they put a tiny amount of plastic in with some worms and a large amount of plastic in with the other group of worms. They did this experiment to see if plastic was the reason that so few worms were in this polluted mud/water. They concluded that plastic was definitely a contributing factor when the container with a lot of plastic killed the worms quickly.

4. In my science in the news this week, it is about how there was another human race thousands of years ago. In the article, it claims that the race’s descendants come from Africa and Europe along with other races to from this one. Scientists have pulled dna from fossils that have similar genotypes to Africans and Europeans along with other races.

5. My science in the news this week was about how the corona virus is related to common bats. I learned that bats may be giving off this virus because they can’t suffer from it themselves because they have some sort of immunity towards it. The investigation and research is still ongoing based on the fact that this is such a new epidemic.

6. My SITN was exploring the discovery of a possible human race thousands of years ago, with the species originating in Africa, then merging with Europeans and creating the currently known humans of today. Fossil evidence also shows the genotype of the merger and pre-merger species.

7. My Science in The News is about how scientist want to transfer bacteria onto living things, like mushrooms, to produce electricity. This project, they say, will open a gateway into more possibilities of combining nature with technology in the future.

8. The SITN article i read this week was about how researchers are making a robot that flies like a bird. They hope to use this to be able to better navigate areas where drones are unable to reach

9. My SITN was about a fossil of a “neanderthal” that seemed to have been buried like a neanderthal had emotions towards the dead. I do not believe in evolution at all, but I was curious on what facts this article had. It definitely did not persuade me in any way.

10. This week my science in the news article was about researchers creating a spray gel that can heal frostbite quicker. They tested it out on rats and now plan to test on humans

11. My SITN was about how scientists are using CT scans and 3D printing to hear mummy’s voices. They are using the CT scan to map the vocal track and then 3D printing it. When they do this, it is making a noise that mimics the sound and tone of the mummy’s voice. Although it cannot say full words due to not having a tongue, it does say sounds that almost sound like words.

12. This week in my SITN article was about the fumes from cars and how they are affecting the air. They are doing trials by placing people in an anclosed room for a period of time and making them breathe this air with the fumes in it,and seeing how it affects their lungs and blood.

13. My science in the news talked about possible cures to the new coronavirus and its link to the SARS virus. The people immune to SARS has had their blood taken and used to make vaccines.

14. My SiTN article was about how they found phosphorus on a distant planet. Phosphorus is a key element in life, so there could be hope of a chance of survival on another planet.

15. My SITN was about killifish. They have the ability to stop the process of them aging, and scientists want to see if they can apply this to humans.

16. My article this week is about School shooter drills. Different school practice to see if they make the students and teachers in more danger. They came to a conclusion and said that the drills have many downsides but helpful.

17. In my Science in the News this week was about the coronavirus. The coronavirus is a deadly disease that is spreading throughout the world and it’s causing many to get ill.

18. What I learned from sitn was in the dark bees can sense what an object is using their senses like humans. It’s amazing how bees having small heads can have sense like humans.

19. I’m SitN STEM article this week was about China’s efforts to control the corona virus and see where it would spread to next. They have done everything in their power to keep those who have been infected, away from healthy people, however because of the late symptoms the virus is almost impossible to track which leads to extreme measures.

20. The article I choose was about how scientists are programing AI to “feel” pain in order to help surgeon students with physical examinations. It will help students in the medical field to understand what their job will be like.

21. My SitN was about how the vaccine for the corona virus is being made. They are having to create an entirely new vaccine because the previous ones for other forms of sars have a different makeup.

22. I rate my 3rd nine weeks a 3 out of 5. I was able to take better notes and grasp the materials better in class. I remember all of my assignments except one. I rate it only a 3 because my grade was lower than last term.

23. I rate my 3rd nine weeks a 4 out of 5 actually. My grades have improved and I have developed better study habits. I have remembered all of my web posts and I have remembered all of my homework. I hope i continue this and improve my grade even more

24. I rate myself 3/5 because I did good on some stuff but I feel like I could’ve done better on some things.

25. For the 3rd 9 weeks, I rate myself a 5/5. I did well on the tests and good taking notes. I also understood everything well.

26. This semester I rate my self a 5/5. I did my best at everything I did. I am ok with not being perfect as long as I did my best in the citation around me involving chemistry.

27. For the 3rd term, I’d rate myself a 4/5. I took decent notes, but I still had trouble with memorizing and applying what I knew from them. I really shows on the tests. However, other than that, the 3rd term wasn’t the worst for me. I’ll do better with taking notes in the future for other classes by writing down important information.

28. For the third term, I’d rate myself a 4/5. I took good notes, and I understood the material well. I’ve also developed better study habits. But I rate myself a 4/5 because my grade is lower than last term.

29. For the third term, I’d rate myself a 4/5. I took good notes, and understood the material well. I’ve also developed better study habits. But my grade is lower this term so that’s why I’m rating myself a 4/5.

30. For the third term, I would rate myself a four out of five stars. I made a lot better grades this semester and studied a lot harder and due to that, I got better grades.

31. For the third term, I would rate my self 3/5. This is because I understood better and had better grades, but still struggled with some stuff. In the future I plan on being better with time and studying.

32. This 9 week I rate myself a 3/5. I felt I did better on staying on top of what we were learning and not falling behind. I did not do the best on keeping up with homeworks and it showed in my grade.