Hon Chemistry 2-22-16 Resonance & Polyatomic Ions & Molecular Geometry

HON CHEMISTRY: Who knew we’d be doing geometry in chemistry?!? You did a great job today! Lewis structures, multiple bonds, resonance, and now polyatomic ions and molecular geometry – wow, that’s a lot you’ve conquered in the last few days!

Molecular geometry is super easy. Make sure you know how to draw Lewis structures, then determine the type of ABE structure and you’ve got it. Here’s a copy of Molecular Geometry Shapes – VSEPR handout. Be sure and memorize the shape and the ABE structure that goes with it. Easy-peazy!

Here’s some good advice – don’t take shortcuts. Learn the proper steps on the easier molecules, and you’ll be able to do the hard ones. And if it’s still all Greek to you, don’t worry! Keep practicing and you’ll get it, I promise!! Don’t forget to count electrons and don’t forget CONS!

Hon Chemistry 2-22-16 Resonance & Polyatomic Ions & Molecular Geometry from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by Ron Layters

9 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 2-22-16 Resonance & Polyatomic Ions & Molecular Geometry

1. It has been a very busy week in Chemistry. We have continued to learn about the types of bonds between elements. We have also continued to practice using Lewis Structures. I am doing well, for the most part, but I am still struggling a tiny bit on the Lewis Structures. Doing the homework/labs is great practice to get better at them. The online molecule thing we did this week was very cool!

2. This week in chemistry was fun, i really enjoyed doing the clab 3D molecules. I liked that lab because it helped me to undersatnd and see how the molecules actually look like.it also helps me to practice on making lewis structures. I also enjoyed doing the freezing water lb and i thought it was interesting how there was less water after the ice melted. I am struggling just a little bit on lewis structure just because sometimes there is different was
    Ys to draw them and i end up drawing them the wrong way. I give myself 4 out of 5 stars this week because i think i am understanding what we are learning very well. All i need ks a lottle practice.

3. Chemistry this week was exciting. I really liked doing the crab for 3D molecules because it helps us understand the structure. I got a little confused on figuring out how to draw them for polyatomic ions but hopefully it will be better. I also liked the freezing water lab because it was simple following directions. I rate myself a 4 of 5 for the week. I am looking forward to spring break after next week too.

4. This week in chemistry was interesting because we started a new chapter. At first, when we started Lewis structures I struggled but the cLab helped me to see what the molecule actually looked like and now I am much better at drawing the structures. Now, we’ve added electron dot notation which is much easier and I don’t think I will have any problems with it.

5. This week I struggled with Lewis structures but after the homework I got the hang of it. A triumph of this week was getting the clab done and doing it right. I would give myself a 4/5 this week because I feel like I understood everything and could apply it to my work.

6. This week I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 stars. I understand everything that we covered in the first sections, but as the information begins to pile up, it is harder for me to keep the facts straight! Once I finish the cLAB, things will start to make more sense. I am excited for what lies ahead in this chapter, and I hope to be able to apply what we are learning!

7. This week has been very busy!! This week I struggled with Lewis structures at first but it became easier. A triumph for me was showing ionic bonding because I picked up on that very easily. The lab was confusing at first, but it was pretty easy after I figured out how to navigate MolView. I would rate myself at a 4 out of 5 this week.

8. This week I would give myself a 4 out of 5 because I struggled a little on the Lewis Structures but I have been practicing them and am getting better at them. A triumph this week was learning how to do electron dot configuration. Learning to use MolView was a bit challenging but after I figured it out it was a lot easier. I would have to say that it has been a successful week!

9. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5. I did really well learning about Lewis structures this week. The different kinds of bonds were very interesting. Matthew and I worked well on the activity with the lightbulb today.