Physics 1-27-16 Stability & Torque Problems Review

PHYSICS: Ohhhhhhh, so that’s how that trapeze guy stays up there! Wait – what’s the pole for?? Great opportunities for discussion and application!?!

Here’s the discussion on how stability relates to center of mass. At the end, a couple of torque problems from the homework, Torque Worksheet 1.

PHYSICS 1-27-14 Stability & Torque Problems Review from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

12 thoughts on “Physics 1-27-16 Stability & Torque Problems Review

1. I really enjoyed the lesson today! I love how I can easily see how what we learned about center of gravity applies to so much in our daily lives. It reminded me of how, in hunter education, my dad teaches to stand with your feet apart when shooting so the kick won’t make you tip over. Now I know its because of center of gravity and the size of the base. Mind blown! πŸ™‚

2. Rate: 3
    This week was quite rough. I like what we are going over now, but some of those problems were difficult. Although, some examples like the wall leaning trick helped with the concepts!

3. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week. I understand the concept of torque but got almost all of the problems wrong. But I finished my King of the Hill project car and enjoyed playing center of gravity games.

4. I feel like the I understand the concepts of torque pretty well. The hardest part for me is figuring out where forces are working around the pivot point. I still don’t quite understand the first fishing pole problem and how the picture needed to look.

5. Application: In study hall a couple days ago, Samuel, Mary Katherine and I found some demonstrations of center-of-gravity. One of the hardest ones was to sit in a stool with your back flat against the wall. Without moving your arms or bending your back, the challenge is to stand up straight. Its impossible because your center of gravity is behind your base (your legs) as you try to stand up. Its a cool application of what we learned!

6. I give myself a 2 out of 5 this week. I think I did well in the lab today, but I have really struggled with the problems and concepts this week. I think maybe I will understand it better when we go over some of the second worksheet problems in class.

7. I am understanding torques, but I need to make sure to read the problems carefully to know how to draw the picture correctly. We successfully found the mass of our unknown object in our lab today using the method of torques.

8. Torque is reeally neat! I have been doing very well to get the problems as long as I get the picture right haha! Also very glad I tested my car today to be able to make improvements over the weekend!

9. This week I have enjoyed learning about torque and the center of gravity. Torque and the center of gravity interested me because it is obvious in everyday life and now we know how and why things work to balance.

10. I give myself a 4 out of 5 for this week. I feel that I understood most of the problems this week and did pretty good on the parts of the lab we finished.

11. When I run backwards, my coaches always told me ‘keep your nose over your toes!’ because if my center of gravity goes over my base of stability, I will fall!

12. Struggle: the lab was challenging at first bc me and Morgan could not balance the meter stick. But once finally balanced, we were able to complete the lab and I now better understand torque