Chemistry 1-7-16 Radioactive Decay & Half Life

CHEMISTRY: Now here’s a healthy breakfast! So what do you figure is the half-life of a twinkie? Nooooooooo…..it’s not the same thing! (Even it you do eat it with a Red Bull!)

So how did you like nuclear equations? Make sure you memorize the nuclear symbols for alpha particles, beta particles (electrons), positrons, neutrons, and protons!

Great start on half-life problems! These will be a little different – we thought them through in class, now I want you to take the concepts we talked about and work them. We’ll walk through them again tomorrow in class, I promise, but first, I want you to think through these problems yourselves! You’re a great problem solver!

Chemistry 1-7-16 Radioactive Decay & Half Life from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by irrezolut

41 thoughts on “Chemistry 1-7-16 Radioactive Decay & Half Life

1. This week we learned about radioactivity and I really enjoyed it because it shows us how radioactivity effects us in our daily life and I hope to learn more about this subject this week.

2. This week we learned about radioactivity and I find it pretty interesting. We have also learned how to write equations and at the beginning it was pretty easy and then the problems got more challenging and I feel like I need to work on those a little bit more.

3. I learned about the nucleus of a cell and radioactivity this week. I have also been working on some new equations that don’t seem to difficult. I successfully turned in my homework this week, so this is good. This weekend, I need to work hard on the take home lab so I can get a grade for it.

4. This week I struggled a bit with completely understanding the new notes on radioactivity. The more I work homework it makes more sense and it helps when we review the homework answers in class. I rate myself a 3/5 this week.

5. I caught onto the half life problems very quickly in class this week. I’m starting to understand the many ways that we use radioactivity in our life wether it’s for the good or bad. I would rate myself a 4/5 this week.

6. I caught on to the ratio problems very easy and it didnt take me long to figure out how to do the half-life problems. Taking notes and doing problems in class has also really helped me. I would rate myself a 4/5 this week.

7. I rate myself a 6 out of 10 this week at first i did not understand how to do the half life problems but after class Thursday i understand now.

8. I had fun learning about radioactive and all the things it effects . The information is intriguing. Half-life is is giving me a little trouble.

9. This week I would rate myself a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I think this week was pretty interesting and easy. Half lives are really fun to learn about. Hope it doesn’t get too difficult though.

10. This week in chemistry we are learning how to do half life problems. I feel like I am doing good I them so far and I am not struggling with them and that they are pretty easy. I would give myself a 4 out of 5 for them this week.

11. This week in chemistry I learned about half life and the radioactive decay series. I understood the information quickly and find it all very interesting. I felt struggled a little with having time to do my homework, but I feed good about my answers. I would rate myself 4 out of 5 stars for this week.

12. This week in Chemistry was challenging because I had to get back into the routine of things. I enjoyed learning about the half lives of radioactive elements and how to work those problems. It was interesting to learn about what radioactive isotopes can do to you if you are exposed.

13. I would rate myself a 3/5 because it took me a while to get back into the routine. I like how half lives done have a formula so that I can work them the way I understand best. I feel like I understand these type of problems.

14. This week I rate myself at 4/5. I learned alot of new things that I never knew before about radiation and I took a great intrest into it. I immediately understood the material that we went over in class and I feel good about the homework

15. This week we learned about radioactivity. I’m slowly catching on but it can be a bit complicated at times. The half life problems are very tricky but with a little more practice I could catch on and understand it more. The homework assigned is helping out a lot and it really helps me think. This week I would rate myself 1 6 out of a 10.

16. This week we learned about radioactive isotopes and half lives. I understand the material for the most part ,but may have a little bit of trouble working the problems. We also have a take home lab that looks quite interesting. I’d rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week.

17. This week I would give myself a 3/5 because I didn’t really understand the concepts as well as I would’ve liked, but I feel better about t since our class time today. I’m hoping that next week will go better and plan on going to the help session to help me with the problems.

18. I’d give myself a 4/5 this week I feel like I understand all of the new material well. It’s also been interesting learning about radioactivity and how it is used in everyday life.

19. This week was pretty interesting with all the radioactive stuff. I felt like I knew what to do this week with all the half-life problems. I would rate myself 4/5 stars this week.

20. This week in chemistry we learned about radioactivity. We also learned about half-life problems which I feel are easy to learn. We also had to research radioactive isotopes and their uses which was very interesting. This week I would rate myself a 4/5.

21. This week we learned about radioactivity. Some parts were easier than others. I thought the alpha emission, beta emission, etc. was pretty easy. I’m struggling a little bit with the half life problems but i think with some practice i’ll get better at them. I rate my self a 3 out of 5 this week.

22. This week I thought it was very interesting learning about radioactivity and half life’s. When we were learning how to figure out how many half life’s an isotope has I feel like I did really well. I would give myself a 5/5!

23. This week we learned about radioactivity. I learned that it is very harmful and dangerous. It can affect us. We also learned how to work half life problems. I’m really struggling with it but i think once I practice ill understand it more

24. This week I enjoyed seeing a penny turned into gold and learning how to work half life problems. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 because I understand how to work out a half life problem.

25. This week I learned how to determine the half life of isotopes. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 because I undestood everything that we learned and I kept up with my homework.

26. This week I learned about radioactive isotopes, it’s various processes, half lifes, and radioactive decay. I’d rate myself 3/5 for not doing well on homework

27. This week learning about radioactive decay and working the half life, and balancing problems I enjoyed. I am really good at them. I do struggle when it comes to the differences in decay I get my definitions confused. But I am determined to make a good grade on the next test.

28. This week in chemistry I learned about radioactive isotopes. NOt only did I learn about them, but I also learned how to work equations using half-lives of certain elements. I would rate myself 3/5 because I was able to work the problems well after I practiced them.

29. This week I learned about radioactive decay. I especially enjoyed the history behind the discovery of radiation, and the continued study of it. I really struggled with the half-life problems, but I am slowly getting the hang of it. It is really helpful that we can use our own formula to solve them. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week because I struggled with the homework problems. I will definitely try harder with this next homework assignment!

30. I’ve enjoyed leaning about radioactivity and how it is used, especially the ways it is used medically. I started off well this week with a complete understanding of everything going on…and then came the half-life problems. I have a slight idea of what’s going on and I’m hoping the help session will clear things up!!

31. This week I learned about radioactivity and how to work equations. It’s somewhat difficult but I would still rate myself a 3 out of 5.

32. This week in class at first i didnt catch on to the radioactive material but as the week went on i began to understand it much better. I would give myself a 4/5 because i paid attention in class very well. Learning about radioactivity is much more interesting than i thought.

33. This week I had to get adjusted again to doing chemistry but, I feel that I did well with radioactive isotopes this week

34. I rate myself a 4/5. I struggled with figuring out the difference between beta and alpha particles and game rays. I understand the half life problems and filling in the radioactive decay formulas. I think it’s cool learning about the modern uses of radioactive isotopes

35. This week we learned about radioactive isotopes. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 stars this week because I did understood the lesson then we started getting into the harder problems. I need to work on those and practice them.

36. I would rate myself 4/5 this week because i felt like i was able to grasp the material better then last semester. I felt that i was able to do the ratios very easily

37. I learned a lot about radioactive isotopes this week. I think it’s interesting how they are used today. I struggled a bit with the problems but I’m getting better. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week

38. We came back from the break and learned a brand new lesson on radioactive isotopes and half lives. I’d rate myself a 4 out of 5 because I understand the information and know how to work problems. we also have a take home lab to practice application.

39. This week I would rate myself a 4/5 because at first I struggled a bit with working the half life problems. The more I work on homework it makes more sense and I am getting better at them. I also enjoyed learning about the modern uses of isotopes.

40. This week I learned a bunch about radioactive isotopes and how they are used. I struggled with the half-life problems and trying to memorize the definitions. I’m just going to study and practice the problems and I know I will be just fine. Anything else we learned, I understood very well.

41. This week I learned a lot about radioactivity. I did have trouble learning the half life problems but I worked on them to get better. I also enjoyed researching the radioactive isotopes.