Chemistry 12-2-15 Intro to Atomic Theory

CHEMISTRY: So how do you feel about being made from earth, air, water, and fire? Here’s the very short intro we did on how we ended up with the atomic theory. Had you ever heard of Lavosier, Proust, and Dalton?

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you were not in class today, Wednesday, you need to do the in class assignment that we did together in class. The instructions for it are towards the beginning of the vodcast. Follow along just like you were in class. Use the online textbook to write Dalton’s Atomic Theory, and then write the Modern Atomic Theory and compare and contract it with Dalton as you go through the vodcast.

Any questions about the Sock & Can Model of the Atom? You need to bring to class TUESDAY a cleaned, empty can like a soup can, etc. It cannot be glass, plastic, or a soft drink can. In the can, place 3 or more random items from your house. Put the can and items into a long sock – the sock must be long enough so that at least six inches or so is left over the top of the can. Tape any sharp edges around your can!! Due Tuesday!!!

Chemistry 12-2-15 Intro to Atomic Theory from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

31 thoughts on “Chemistry 12-2-15 Intro to Atomic Theory

1. Yesterday in chemistry was fun trying to make a plan to follow for getting up and walking out the door and back in the other door. Me and my partner did correct instructions and correctly followed the other peoples instructions. I would rate myself a 5 out of 5 for this activity.

2. This week I rate myself 3/5 this week for my understanding of the atomic theory. I wasnt in class but once this week but i think that if I can get more class time I can vastly improve my knowledge of the subject. Looking forward to learning more and building upon my wisdom in chemistry.

3. This week was a triumph. I learned about how my brain works, and was surprised by many of the activities on brain game. The difference between reality and how our brains see reality was educating and I learned things about my brain I never knew about before.

4. this week in chemistry was very mind boggling. we watched brain games and did an activity where you had to make instructions to get from your desk out the door and around. it was very challenging. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 because I did slightly struggle with our activity.

5. This week, the brain games video showed me how out brain views things in this world. It was a learning experience making instructions to get out of your desk and walk to the door because it was challenging to put together with the codes given. Overall, I would rate myself a 4/5.

6. This week I really enjoyed directing people in and out of the chemistry room just by using symbols. I would rate myself 4.5/5 because my directions were accurate and led someone to the chair.

7. chemistry was fun this week! I rate myself a 4/5. I enjoyed learning about all that my mind does and thinks through. I also enjoyed watching mind games. Looking forward to next week!

8. Rate- I rate myself a five out of ten this week, I had a little trouble at first with the brain games but I got the hang of it and learned more about my brain.

9. This week and last week when we watched Brain games it was really refreshing and fun to be tricked into thinking something so easily.

10. This week was a lot of fun in chemistry. I really enjoyed the brain games episode and how I was I tricked so easily. The activity we did was pretty cool too. I would rate myself 4/5 for this week.

11. I enjoyed learning about the many things that we miss in our brain when we watched the Brian games. Also I liked having to make directions for a person to our desk. I would rate myself a 7.5 out of 10.

12. this week was a very fun and interesting week. I loved the activity we did Tuesday when we had to use code to get around the room correctly. it was something new that I never knew I could actually follow or do myself. this week I would rate myself a 4/5 in class this week and I can’t wait to learn more about the atomic theory!

13. This week has been kinda hectic with the schedule and all. I feel like i was kinda having trouble making sure to check the syllabus. I would rate myself a 4/5 for work done in class. i also had a lot of fun doing the activity where we wrote down the commands to walk out the room and then back in.

14. This week I feel as if I succeeded in understanding the atomic theory. However, I struggled with writing out the exact steps to get in and out of the doorways. I rate myself as a four out of five because I understand the new information that has been introduced.

15. I really enjoyed starting a new lesson this week. It makes me feel refreshed. I would rate myself a 7 out of 10 mainly because I don’t think I took good notes. Next time I will concentrate harder to get the right material down on paper.

16. This week, I feel like I triumphed. The brain games activity was very interesting and I learned some ways to improve my brain. It was a struggle to map out the steps to do the command activity. I’m pretty sure the group that did ours ran into a wall a couple of times! It was also nice to brush up on atoms. I remember learning about them in physical science and I remembered a lot of what we talked about. All in all, it was a good week and I would rate myself a 5/5.

17. This week in Chemistry we learned about Dalton and the Modern atomic theory. We also learned about the structure of an atom. I would rate myself a 5 out of 5 stars this week because I think I am understanding the lessons very well. This weeks lesson has kind of reviewing what we learned in 8th grade science.

18. I enjoyed watching the brain games video this week and learning about how our brain works and what things affect it. We also learned about the modern atomic theory and how it compares to Dalton’s. I think it’s amazing how similar Dalton’s is to the modern one considering how much technology has changed over time. The doorway activity was fun and i think it was harder following someone else’s map than making one.

19. This week I liked how we started off by watching the Brain Games. I really enjoyed how these videos showed how the brain can be easily tricked and showed interesting experiments to prove it. I also appreciate how your giving one more test before the end of this semester to help some of us bring up our grades. Thank you!

20. In only three days, I have had a good time in chemistry. We watched Brain Games and then we got to instruct people on how to walk out of the classroom and then back in using a specific code, or “language”. The process was interesting. Then today, I learned about J.J. Thompson’s experiment and how atoms and other things are affected by the charges they have.

21. This week I learned a lot about my brain and how much more complex it is. I thought it was really cool. I also learned about Dalton’s atomic theory. I struggled understanding it at first but I think I know it now. I rate myself a 3/5

22. This week was very different. The brain games video was very interesting and eye opening. It was also fun creating the map to get from one location to the next. I rate myself a 5/5 because my partner and i were able to create a map that got our partnering group to the correct place

23. This week I learned why the brain reacts to certain things for certain reasons. It is neat how the brain works. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week because I enjoying brain games and I participated in it.

24. This week I rate myself a 3/5. I struggled in making the map, but i enjoyed watching the brain games episode and showing how my brain functions. I also enjoyed learning about Dalton’s atomic theory.

25. This week I learned a lot about my brain in the brain games exercise. I learned how much my brain relies on sight and shadows. grade 5/5

26. This week I would rate myself a 6 out of 10 I had a hard time with the brain games and understanding the atomic theories. The brain games taught me a lot about the way our brains process and relate things to each other. I really enjoyed that.

27. This week in chemistry was fun making a plan to follow for walking out the door and back in the other door. My partner and me did the procedure right and followed the other peoples instructions okay after having to start over again. I would rate myself a 5 out of 5 for this week.

28. This week I would rate myself a 9/10. The brain games were fun but a little confusing and I did fall for their tricks sometimes. I also understood the atomic theory and believe I can do well on it. All around a great week. I was also very happy with the new test scores.

29. This week we did brain games I would rate myself 7 out of 10 on the activities during the episode. I really learned what our brain has to process everyday and how much information it takes in at all times. It taught me that our brains are more complicated than we think. it also taught me that our focus is key and that our brain only focuses on the important things.

30. This week i give myself a 4/5 because i understood the brain games and i participated in the brain games as well. I learned that the brain is a very complicated thing and how it organizes everything. I was also able to do the slo-mo brain activity as well.