Physics 2-27-12 Bernoulli – Part 1

PHYSICS: So were you surprised about the effect of change in surface area on the velocity of water, and especially the pressure of water, flowing through a tube? Thaaaaat explains how a calm ride on a lazy river can turn crazy in just a few seconds! Here’s the lecture from Monday on Bernoulli – Part 1. Today we concentrated on quantitative applications of Bernoulli’s Principle and a few practical applications. Tomorrow we’ll take the practical applications to an even higher level (pun intended!). That’s the part I like best. 🙂

Click here for a copy of the Bernoulli Worksheet if you didn’t get a copy in class today.

flickr photo by Pink Sherbet Photography

23 thoughts on “Physics 2-27-12 Bernoulli – Part 1

1. Ms. Skinner,

Sometimes your mind needs to process certain problems before it is able to grasp them; when I tried the problems again it was much clearer!

2. I’m still very confused about the lift thing. Does air lift a plane because of the greater distance it travels over the wings?

• Since it goes a greater distance but still has to arrive at the end at the same time as the air going under the plane, it goes faster, and since it goes faster, it creates a low pressure zone, and since there is low pressure, the atmosphere tries to cancel it out and produces lift.

• David all i know is that if you change the blade orientation, the circular motion changes from counterclockwise to clockwise.

3. why do cars not lift off the ground from lift if the air is moving fast over the top of it but airplanes are lifted even though they are bigger and weigh more?

4. Ms. Skinner, should I be prepared to take my test on Monday or will I get an extra day and take it on Tuesday instead?

5. So when we watched the video about dams, the reason lift was produced is because the barrel had a spin that created a low pressure zone?

6. I am posting this from the airport in Charlotte yayyy! I enjoyed that test Tuesday. It was soooo much fun!

7. I’m glad you’re back from Costa Rica! And I hope our plane flies tomorrow. Did we wind the rubber band the wrong way?