Hon Chemistry 2-15-18 d & f-block Intro & a Look Back at cLAB: Element Reverse Scavenger Hunt

HON CHEMISTRY: Wow! Did you every dream there was that much interesting and important stuff to know about the s, p, d, and f block elements?! Here’s the introduction to the d & f blocks, and then, our beginning of running through all the slides to clarify some information and filled in gaps you might have had.

As you are studying, make sure you go back and practice figuring out the period, block, group, and type of element from the electron configuration. And don’t forget the topics I asked you to research for yourself that you will find on the Chapter 5 Stuff to Know Sheet (coming very soon!!)!

To make your research even more interesting(!), there are some really interesting videos with tons of useful information at this site: http://periodicvideos.com/

The videos that you must watch from the s-block for the test are potassium, magnesium, and calcium.

The videos you need to watch for the p-Block are carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, fluorine, and chlorine. http://periodicvideos.com/

The elements from the d block that I especially want you to watch are copper and mercury. And there are other interesting ones you might like to watch just for fun!

The videos on from the f-Block that you need to watch are: neodymium, thorium, and uranium. Go pop some popcorn and have some movie time!

Hon Chemistry 2-3-17 d & f-block Intro & A Look Back at cLAB: Element Reverse Scavenger Hunt from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

13 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 2-15-18 d & f-block Intro & a Look Back at cLAB: Element Reverse Scavenger Hunt

1. I would rate myself a 3/5 this week. I struggled with time management on the clab, but I am learning alot from the research.

2. This week I would rate myself a negative 1.3/5 because of the homework fiasco. Other than that I’m getting very creative with my google questions on the scavenger hunt in a good way.

3. This week’s triumph has been successfully completing the cLAB. I have a few blanks that are questionable but other than that I enjoyed learning more about each element. Also, this week was pizza bowling which was fun. 🙂

4. This week I’d rate myself a 3/5. I had trouble managing my time on the c-lab but I got to go pizza bowling so that’s good.

5. This week I’d rate myself a 4/5. I managed my time with the Clab pretty well and I enjoyed seeing all of the uses for the elements.

6. This week I rate myself a 3/5, because I am terrible at this reverse scavenger hunt. I did use the time you gave us wisely though.

7. I rate myself a 2/5 this week. I found myself getting frustrated with the cLab even if there were some interesting facts along the way.

8. I rate myself a 5/5. This week has been a good sort of flow for me. I like this clab way of taking notes. Now I need to start looking forward and prepare for the test!

9. I rate myself a 3/5 this week. This week was very different for me. Instead of just receiving notes, we had to find them on our own. I’m not sure I like this style, but not everything can just be handed to you in life. I liked this in some aspects, but in most, I don’t like it very much.

10. This week I would rate myself 4/5. I’ve kept up with the cLab and I plan to start looking over it tonight. I also look forward to the Honor Society service project.