Chemistry 1-18-18 Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass

CHEMISTRY: Isn’t God awesome to give us minds to understand the world around us – even the parts we can’t see!

Be sure and get the 2nd Snow Updated syllabus. Things got changed around again!! Be sure and notice the special instructions for Thursday night’s homework!

Here’s the lecture from Thursday on isotopes and average atomic mass. How are you doing on writing nuclear symbols? Also make sure you can use them to determine the number of protons, neutrons, electrons, etc., AND be sure you can use the formula to find average atomic mass!

Can you believe atoms are that small – and the nucleus even waaaaaay smaller! The thumbnail is a picture of atoms from the IBM Almaden Research Center. These are iron atoms on top of copper. Being able to move atoms around like this was a giant leap in the field of nanotechnology! (Sorry about that, bad pun! 🙂 )

Chemistry 12-7-15 Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

Image source IBM Almaden Research Center

15 thoughts on “Chemistry 1-18-18 Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass

1. This week in chemistry i rate myself a 5/5 because of all the snow we weren’t able to have class. Thursday during class I understood all the material you went over in the podcast.

2. This week in chemistry was very short because of the snow, I understood all the materials that you went over on Thursday and found the homework to be easy

3. I rate myself a 2/5 this week. The snow messed us up and i hole it doesn’t cause me to get to far behind. I Look forward to another good week of Chemistry!

4. This week was a 3.5/5 for me. The snow was fun and all. but I’m pretty sure we’re getting ANNIHILATED by next week. We’ve only got two days absorb a week full of information. I feel like I’m behind. Not to mention we’ve got a test creeping up behind us. Overall, a chill and easy week. It’s what comes next that scares me.

5. This week was a 3/5 for me. I understood all the materials that you went over on Thursday and found the homework to be easy. i have already started studying for the test. i know that i need to go back on some things.

6. This week in chemistry I rate myself a 5/5. I am understanding isotopes really well and have already begun to get ready for the test. I have the homework for tonight finished.

7. This week I would rate myself a 3/5. I feel like I triumphed at paying attention and taking notes, but I struggled at my homework and forgot to do last weeks webpost.

8. I rate myself a 3/5 this week. I am understanding fairly but just need a bit more practice. However, the many, many snow days we had, have messed me up and I need to get back on track! Next week I hope I am ready to tackle some more chemistry!

9. I would rate myself a 5/5 this week because I understood the material and also we has two extra days off because of snow.

10. This week I give myself a 3/5. Coming back from a 6 day break was really tough. I took lackluster notes and had trouble with a couple of problems on the homework.

11. I’d rate myself a 4/5 for this week. We only went to school two days this week but I feel that I understood everything I learned. I also did well on the homework.

12. This week I felt like I really understood the notes and how to do the homework so hopefully I continue to understand what I’m doing for future assignments

13. This week I rate myself a 3/5. I was not in class but I plan to make up my homework over the weekend and get caught up on the notes.

14. This week I rate myself a solid 4/5. Man do I wish weeks could be two days long. There’s really not much to say about this week except that I found the notes along with the homework to be very easy. Hope further weeks can go this smoothly