thLAB: Building Your Balance

CHEMISTRY: This is pretty cool!! Have you started making your balance? This thLAB is going to help you understand how a balance works! Here’s a hint – tape the pencil down if you are having trouble with it moving around!

A couple of IMPORTANT things about doing and writing up thLABs:

• Yes – you ALWAYS do all the questions on labs.
  • Always to the extension on thLABs if there is one, but if you are not sure, ASK!
  • The actual masses of the coins can be found on the Internet. Google it!!
  • Yes, you find your percent error on each coin – make sure you show your work with formula and units!!
  • Be sure and give yourself plenty of time to upload to the Google Drive Assignment Turn-In folder AND Turnitin.com!
  • The info for setting up your turnitin.com account is on the first day Lab Turn In Info sheet – it’s under the lab and worksheet tabs. That sheet will give you the password and show you where to find the other instruction.

Holler if you have any other questions. Have fun with your lab!!
Balance 2
Image source: Alex Dean

2 thoughts on “thLAB: Building Your Balance

1. Yesterday I learned how to build a balance. I had trouble with it a first but then go used to it. I figured out that I had to add liquid very slowly to get the accurate measure. I did very good at accessing my situation and finding out what I did wrong and changing things to make sure I did it right the next time. Over all I would give myself a 4/5 cause I messed up but then turned it around very well

2. This week I learned about building a balance. It was very difficult because I couldn’t get it leveled for the longest but I finally got it. Once I got it balanced it was easy to learn and do. I rate myself a 3/5 this week. The reason I rate myself this is because I got confused on the sig figs.