Chemistry 8-24-16 Using the Scientific Method

CHEMISTRY – Great review today of the scientific method. I know you’ve heard it for umpteen years, but it is super important that you can APPLY what you’ve learned about the scientific method.

Speaking of that, you’ll have a great chance to practice using the scientific method tomorrow with Ooblek! Make sure you print and read the Oobleck lab sheet and bring it to class tomorrow!

Speaking of homework – the work from the textbook can be done with the online textbook. Do it on notebook paper, and you can use the back. Just make sure you number going down and not across, and skip a line between each question. Be sure and turn it in at the beginning of class tomorrow.

So do animals use the scientific method? Hmmm…..

Chemistry 8-24-16 Using the Scientific Method from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

Flickr photo by UK Ministry of Defense, Photographer: Harland Quarrington

10 thoughts on “Chemistry 8-24-16 Using the Scientific Method

1. Struggle: Today in class we had our first lecture, and I had a hard time keeping up with the notes while also trying to listen. Throughout the rest of the week, I will try to keep up and take my notes faster. I need to work on abbreviating, writing in fragments, and also listening while I am doing this so I will be able to apply what I learn.

2. Triumph: Wednesday was the first day of notes/ lecture. I’m proud of myself because I kept up with Ms. Skinner and was able to write quickly. It helped because I know some of the material. I wrote what I didn’t know and also what I needed a refresh on. This gave me more time to stay focused with what Ms. Skinner was saying. I could easily take it all in.

3. i rate myself a 4/5 for this week. At the beginning of this week we worked with computers and that was very stressful considering the fact that i had 5 computers on one day. Evernote and Google Drive were frustrating to set up but in the long run it is very helpful!! scanning your labs and homework is very convenient and easy for everyone!! Yesterday was a successful lecture day. i got all the notes down and understood that the scientific method is not always in order. it’s almost like a circle, that you can start from any point and mix up the order. Today, we did the oobleck lab! The oobleck lab was a lot of fun and i enjoyed it a lot. One thing i can improve on this week is paying attention to directions thoroughly. Another triumph i had this week was reading the lab before i come in class. this allowed me to have my time managed and helped me a lot!!! i enjoyed this week very much.

4. T: What I learned this week is that we use the scientific method in our daily lives. Whether it is picking out what to wear or what to eat, we use the steps scientists use to perform professional hypotheses and theories.

5. Application: This week I learned that the scientific method is not just for the scientists. I realized that I use the scientific method in everyday life, even if it’s as simple as picking out what to wear for the day.

Struggle: This week I struggled with keeping up with the lecture and taking good notes. I will try to find different techniques or shortcuts that will allow my note taking to be much more efficient.

6. Application: I never realized that the scientific method could be used for so much more than just scientists making and solving experiments. It can be and is used so much more in everyday life than we realize.

• This week I really struggled with learning how to take notes quickly, but still hear every word you said. I will fix this by paraphrasing and abbreviating the notes on the board so I can write quicker and still get to hear everything else that you add on.

7. Struggle: I had a hard time keeping a fast pace while taking notes. I would always get behind because I’m not used to not writing everything done. I need to work on my abbreviations as well as only writing down key words. However, this video helped me to complete my notes.

8. Reflection/Rate: This week I would give myself a rating of 3/5. I struggled with taking notes quickly and efficiently, and will have to work on getting them written down while also trying to listen. I had a lot of fun making the Oobleck with my lab partner, though. I learned a lot about the Scientific Method through this experiment and was proud of my lab partner and I for getting through the experiment quickly.

9. T: I kept up with the notes from slide to slide.
    Struggle: This week I forgot to look at the website every night, so I had to rush my homework.