Chemistry 2-4-16 Flame Test Lab

CHEMISTRY: Wow! Great job on the flame test lab – pretty cool, huh?! It’s one of my favorite labs. Did it help you understand something about how fireworks must work?

Lab reports are due by MONDAY midnight (shout out to the BB team and Honor Band!), saved to both Google Drive and turnitin.com as a PDF. It would be a very good idea for you to go back and check your graded labs in Evernote AND double check the lab manuscript form sheet to make sure your lab report is complete and in the correct format! I cannot stress that enough!! And what about your conclusion? Be sure an answer the objective, and explain how you used flame tests to identify an unknown. And don’t forget the questions at the end!

HOMEWORK UPDATE: You may omit # 30 and 31 from Friday night’s homework. Those two will be move to Monday night.

Need help or practice with the wave problems? What about a help session next week?

Flame test - Cu
____________________________________________
Image source jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/…/JCE2004p1776AWfig4.gif

38 thoughts on “Chemistry 2-4-16 Flame Test Lab

1. This week we did a flame lab and it was really fun. We’ve started a new chapter and I feel like I know it very well so far. I understand the new chapter and the new problems. I’d rate myself 4/5

2. This week I enjoyed the flame test lab. I loved seeing the different colors let off from the elements and I thought it was very neat of how different elements and their color spectrum can cause different colors to be portrayed in light. I would rate myself a 4.5 out of 5 for this week because I did good keeping up with my homework and understand what was taught except I struggled with today’s lesson, but I am going to do my homework and understand it the best I can.

3. This week we have learned about electrons jump up and fall when they receive enough energy I have really enjoyed this week I have had some trouble on spectral lines but I can work on that and get help id rate myself 6/10

4. This week I learned that electrons get excited and when they fall, they emit color. We experimented with this in the flame tests lab which was very fun and educating. I rate myself a 4.5/5 this week.

5. I really enjoyed this week because we did the flame test lab and it was really interesting. I thought it was crazy how a chemical on a cotton swab could change the colors of a flame. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 because I felt really production on the flame test lab this week and really prepared while completing it.

6. I would rate myself 3/5 because I feel like I have a good understanding about everything we did this week except for the quantam numbers those really confused me a lot. The flame test showed what atoms electrons emitted different colors when the fell from the excited stage.

7. I struggled this week with tracking time on my lab but it was very fun. I loved seeing the many different colors that the flames gave off. I’m also struggling with the formulas with wavelength and frequency and speed but with more practice I will get it. I would rate myself a 3/5 this week

8. I felt I had a fairly good week! I understood everything or at least grasped it enough that, with time, I will understand. The flame test was really fascinating! I would rate myself a 4/5 this week because I missed Monday’s lesson and have yet to find the time to go and watch the web post…

9. This week in chemistry we did the flame tests lab and we learned that when electrons get excited they emit light, which produced very pretty flame colors. Later in the week we did a virtual lab and I was able to apply what I learned from the flame tests lab to the virtual lab. This week I would rate myself a 4/5.

10. This week I would rate myself a 5/10. I enjoyed the labs we did this week and I also understood the light emission. But I didn’t understand the electrons section and I need to re watch the vodcast to review and better understand.

11. This week I learned about how electrons leave the ground state and go to the excited state. I really enjoyed the flame test lab and seeing all the different colors the flames put off. I am struggling with the problems though but I think I’ll understand them better with more practice. I would rate myself a 4/5.

12. This week in chemistry was really fun. I really enjoyed doing the flame test lab and it was so cool to see the flame change colors. The practice problems we did were pretty easy for me. It was interesting to learn about orbitals and energy levels today. I would rate myself a 4/5 because I feel I performed well this week.

13. This week I would rate myself a 5/5 because I understood the labs perfectly and did all my homework. i also understood the notes we took this week. I learned how light is produced when electrons get excited and fall down.

14. This week we learned more about electrons and how they emit different colors when they fall from their excited stage. I thought the flame lab was cool how the flames turned different colors when you hold a metal up to it. I would rate myself a 4/5 week.

15. this week I enjoyed learning about the properties of electrons and how they act like a wave.It is easy to relate this section to my past science class in 8th grade. I really liked doing both the labs this week and having them correspond to each other I would rate myself a 5/5 this week

16. I rate myself a 4/5 for this week because I learned a skill I’ve needed to know this whole year, the importance of being prepared for a lab before I perform it. Knowing exactly what I’m going to do for a lab is key to finishing successfully in the time allowed.

17. This week, I learned through the lab how a variety of substances can change a flame into different colors. In addition, I learned more about electrons and about their properties. Overall, I would rate myself a 4/5 as I feel that I did well on the lab and on the homework assignments.

18. This week I learned about light and electrons. I really had trouble paying attention Monday but I watched the vodcast. I really liked the flame lab and really think it helped me see how different elements can give off different light.

19. I would rate myself a 4/5 this week, because I feel like I did really well on the labs this week. I read the procedures and prepared really good. The lab was pretty awesome and interesting and I learned a whole bunch of why specific elements show off particular colors. I only had a problem on Wednesday’s homework. I didn’t understand any of it, but I read the sections again until it all made sense.

20. This week I learned more about electrons. I also did a lab that showed how different elements can change the color of a flame. I would rate myself a 3/5.

21. This week I learned about what happened when you burn metal salt and see the color of the flame. We then used this to find the makeup of an unknown salt. Grade 5/5

22. This week I learned more about electrons and their different states. I also did a lab that showed how different elements can change the color of a flame. I would rate myself a 4/5.

23. this week, I learned about the electron and its various properties in the atom. I also really enjoyed the flame lab. I thought the colored flames were the best part. This week I’d rate my self 4/5

24. This week we did a lab called flame test. Of course you already know that and I’m just stating the obvious. I thought that it was very fun and interesting. The different colors the elements let off surprised me and I enjoyed it. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 for this week. I could have done better on my homework but overall I understood what we were doing. Today’s lesson wasn’t the easiest but I’m sure with more practice I will get the hang of it.

25. This week in Chemistry was harder on me than usual. All of material was easy, but there wasn’t a day I got home early to be able to study the material more carefully. But I sure will be able to get the lab in before Monday night, which I am very thankful for the extension! I would rate myself 3 out of 5 for this week.

26. This week in chemistry I would rate myself 4/5 because I understood most of the material that was presented. I thought that my lab partner and I managed our time very well and were able to complete the lab accurately.

27. This week in chemistry i kearned how to identify unknown substances by comparing them to the spectrum if known elements. You test the unknown with a flame test to determine the possible elements. I rate myself 3/5 stars this week.

28. I enjoyed performing the flame test lab. It was interesting seeing the different color flames produced from the different elements. Also we learned about how electrons jump up and fall when they receive quantums of energy. I rate myself 4 out of 5 this week as I need to practice more on the formulas for wavelength and frequency.

29. This week we did the flame test lab and I had a lot of fun and the vlab was very interesting and I learned a lot and I feel as if I’m absorbing the information well if rate myself a 4/5 this week

30. I really liked the flame test lab this week and feel as if I succeeded in completing it. I am struggling with the new information that we got in class today. I rate myself a three out of five this week.

31. This week I would rate myself a 3/5 because I did do my pre-lab write up but I forgot to print off my lab sheets. But in class I feel like I did pretty well.

32. The Flame Test lab is my favorite lab so far; I feel I did well on it. I would rate myself 4/5 this week because I think am doing well with the new information on quantum mechanics and understanding the behavior of electrons.

33. This week I learned about how electrons react and can emit light. The apartment building example really helped me understand the different levels that electrons can be in. I would rate myself a 3/5. Next week I will try and learn the math problems better because I struggled with them a little bit this week.

34. I had a great week this week in chemistry but I struggled during the flame test we had. I didn’t finish the lab on time and had to stay later to finish it. The homework was pretty tuff also but I managed to get it done I’m catching on to the concepts of chemistry and i am ready for next week.

35. I enjoyed the flame lab this week. I thought it was really interesting. The new chapter is a bit confusing and I struggled with the electrons and orbitals but I think I’ll get the hang of it. I rate myself a 4/5 this week.

36. This week I really enjoyed the flame test lab I showed me what kind of elements can change a flame and also we are learning about electrons and orbitals and I’m understanding it very well so I rate myself a 4/5

37. This week in Chemistry, we did a flame test lab which I thought was very neat. It was really interesting to see how different elements effected the flame color. This week I’d rate myself a 4 out of 5 because it was a very crazy week due to homework and labs, but I still managed to keep up with my assignments. The lesson was quite easy to understand , and I hope I continue to do well in this class.