Chemistry 5-13-15 Acids, Bases, & Intro to pH

CHEMISTRY: Great intro to the properties of acids and bases! Do you think you can apply them now?

Did your class get to the part about figuring out pH? If not, here is the lesson you need! Acids mean H30+ ions and pH, bases mean OH- ions and pOH. Get the pH of an acid straight from the concentration of the acid. Get the pH of a base by first finding the pOH straight from the concentration of the base and then subtracting that from 14. No problem!! So how do you think someone would use pH?

Don’t forget about learning those indicator colors I told you about. Can you think of anything else that might be a natural indicator? What about tea? Have you noticed how it changes to a lighter shade when you add lemon?

CHEMISTRY 5-14-13 Acids, Bases & pH from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

51 thoughts on “Chemistry 5-13-15 Acids, Bases, & Intro to pH

1. The Application of Joseph Gay-Lussac’s law that we performed in class today with the Sprite can imploding was super fun! I learned that because the steam inside the can was so hot and the water in the plastic container was cool, the steam immediately turned into water inside the can and cooled down when it came in contact with the water in the container. Because of the direct relationship between temperature and pressure, the pressure dramatically decreased when the temperature decreased. This drop in pressure caused the can to implode on itself since the atmospheric pressure around it was then higher than the pressure inside of it. This experiment allowed me to see how all of the laws we have been learning about in class really do affect our everyday lives!

2. This week I learned about acids, bases, and the pH scale and if the number on pH scale is from 0-6 then it is an acid. If it is 7 then it is neutral and if it is a number from 8-14 then it is a base. I also learned that a difference between an acid and a base is that an acid is sour tasting while a base is bitter.

3. I will give myself 4 out of 5 because i have learnt a lot about acids and bases i did not know about and i did not know about the cool things pressure can create.

4. This week I rate myself 4 out of 5 because I found it easy to understand some of the pH notes but found it somewhat hard to completely understand the concept of acids and bases. I feel like if I practice more with the chart and the problems it will help me out in the long haul!

5. This week I learned that bases and acids are different. I learned that the acid pH scale is lower than 7 and the base pH scale is higher than 7. I also learned how hot air balloons work by applying hot air into the balloon causing the gas particles to go faster making the balloon float.

6. I learned alot of things this week that might help me in the future, but some of the stuff we are learning in the class i really do not get and i do not know why i would ever need to know how to do. But anyways thanks for teaching me chemistry and helping me understand ho to do many of the formulas you taught us in class. I hope i get a good grade on this comment because i have not been for some reason even if i try i get a bad grade so yeah.

7. I would rate myself 4 out of 5 stars this week. I learned that everyday items have different pH levels and that determines whether or not they are an acid or a base. I also learned that hot air balloons work by having a lower density of air in the balloon causing it to rise.

8. I would rate myself a 3 out of 5 for the week. I learned that acids and bases can be dangerous if not used properly. I never knew rising up from the bottom of the ocean can be dangerous and you can have nitrogen bubbles in your blood. I also didn’t know that acids and bases neutralize each other. I also didn’t know that apple juice has a high ph balance. I have learned so much this year, it was fun doing the labs I think my favorite was the separation lab. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 for the whole year. Now I’m preparing for the exam and working hard on the exam review. I think and I know ill be ready.

• i rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week because the pH was a little difficult to figure out but i did enjoy yesterdays lab i finally understood how it works

9. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 for this week. i rate myself this because i really understood all the properties of gasses and the info about bases and acids.

10. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week. This is because the first day we talked about pH I didn’t fully grasp the concept. But when we finished going over it the next day, It made more sense.

11. I learned this week about the pH scale and that it determines if a substance is and acid or a base. I also learned about how pressure and if you increase temperature it increases the volume and lowers the density. Also I learned from the balloon activity that if you decrease pressure the air in the balloon increased, because the air inside of the balloon can expand because it has nothing pressing on it.

12. This week I learned about the pH scale. Now I understand when people say a joke to me that says, “Are a 14 on the pH scale? Cause you are pretty basic.” Any ways. I rate myself 4 outa 5 stars because I undertood how are pressure can have an effect on this like the balloon in the vacuum.

13. This week I would rate myself a 4 out of 5. I really enjoyed learning about acids and bases and the ph scale. I understand the different numbers on the acids and bases. I also enjoyed do all the experiments with the balloons and soap and hot air balloons.

14. For this week, I rate myself a 2 out of 5 because I had a lot of difficulty learning the lessons. I also ha d I hard time matching the names of the scientists with the laws that they discovered. Finally, I had difficulty figuring out that pressure and volume were inversely proportional but volume and temperature are directly proportional.

15. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week because i did farely well on the test. On the test I did all the balancing questions problems correctly except for 2. I understood how to do them and thats why i rate myself a 3.

16. I rate myself 4-5 stars this week. I learned that if you were a scuba diver and you go deep into the water you get nitrogen in your blood. I also learned that if you put soap in a microwave it expands. I did check my edline and I saw the note at the top. when do I need to let you know?

17. I enjoyed watching the demo today. I know what the purpose of a catalyst, but I have never seen a catalyst in action. I was surprised at how quickly the reaction reacted! I also enjoyed doing the soda can experiment. When I placed the soda can in the water, the soda can got crushed. The soda can crushed because the steam came in contact with the water. Once the steam molecules came in contact with the water, those molecules turned into water molecules and joined with the water molecules in the beaker. Since all the steam molecules left the soda can, there was nothing in the can to give the soda can a structure. That is the reason why the soda can got crushed.

18. I give myself a 3 out of 5 stars this is week. I give myself that rating because I did not do well on the test this week. I can change that by studying that same material this weekend for the exam Wednesday but this time instead of just trying to memorize the problems I will write multiple problems of each type of chemical equation and solve the problem as well. What I liked about class this week was the Boyles Law take home lab. What I liked about it was how the when we tried to take away pressure with the marshmallow inside of the syringe it expanded.

19. Since we were talking about gases such as air being condensed into liquid form, I was wondering if it was possible drowned in “air”.

20. The demos these last couple of days were interesting. My favorite was the sprite can. I had no idea that it was going to make a loud sound like that when it hit the water. The steam turned into water immediately and that is why it crushed the can.

21. This week I rate my self 4 out of 5 stars. This is because I did very good on my test because I studied and knew the material. Also, this week I understood the concepts about pressure and pH. The thing that helped me understand the most was watching the balloon expand in the vacuum seal because the air pressure around the balloon was reduced.

22. I rate myself 4 out of 5 stars for this week. I did well on the test, but I made some careless mistakes. For example, I make an equation for a reactant when there was really no reaction. I also thought the hot air activity was really cool!

23. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5 because I did better on the test than I thought I was going to. But not as good as I should have. I learned today how much water a bar of ivory soap has and that if you put it in a mocrowave and heat it it will expand extremely.

24. THIS WEEK MY LAST WEEK OF HAVING TO DO A WEB POST. BUT MOST INPORTANT THE WEB POST I RATE MYSELF 3 OUT OF 5 FEEL LIKE I DID GOOD THIS WEEK AND THANKS FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME I KNOW I QUIT THE TROUBLE MAKER BUT THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE TYREE BRYANT SIGNING OUT

25. I learned this week about bases, acids, and pH levels. 0-7 is an acid and 8-14 is a base. And re activity in class today were we put the ivory soap in the microwave and it blew up and turned to a soapy felling squishy and try felling. With the 30% alcohol we made the would turn solid with oxygen in it. All around a good and graceful week.

26. This week was very good for me! I learned about pH levels as well as acids and bases and their traits. For example, acids are sour. Bases are bitter. Doing the air pressure activity also gave me a visual of why balloons expand and compress. The soda can activity also showed me how steam can become water when in contact with water, causing the can to lose the can to lose it’s structure therefore causing it to crush. Overall this week has been pleasant.

27. This week i give myself a 4 out of 5 because i understand the pH scale well. I learned that 0-6 is an acid, and 8-14 is a base. And also, as i was doing my exam study guide, a lot of information started coming back to me. I feel like i will do well on the exam.

28. I rate myself a 4 out of 5 this week because I learned and understood the concept of acids and bases. It helped that I had done the same experiments at ExploreZone. I learned that if a liquid is 0-7 on the pH scale, it’s an acid…and if it’s 7-14, it’s a base.

29. This week, I would rate myself 5 out of 5 as the material was pretty easy to understand and not complicated. On a different note, LAST SCHOOL WEEK! WOOOT!!

30. this week I really improved. I made a major improvement on my test and did a lot better on the short answer problems. going to the help session really helped me a lot with working the types of chemical reaction problems. I will study the same way I studied for this test on the exam by working multiple problems and applying my notes to actual problems. doing the exam study guide is really going to help me. Also, I never knew that if you come up to fast to the surface of the water when scuba diving, that the nitrogen gas will be released and you will be in a lot of pain. When you are deep in the water, nitrogen from the air will dissolve in the water in your body. thanks for a great year! I give myself a 4 out of 5

31. This week was really cool in chemistry! I had a lot of fun doing the little expirements! I learned that to go scuba diving, you have to have a lot of training! I think that it’s really cool that if you take a deep breath coming up from under the ocean where there is a lot of pressure, your lungs may fill up with too much air and they could eventually explode because as the pressure decreases, the gas expands! also I made a good grade on my test, so that just topped the week off! Overall, I rate this week in chemistry a 4/5.

32. I really enjoyed this week in chemistry!! all the experiments we did was really fun and I learned a lot from them!! this weekend I will be preparing for my exam next week! since this is our last web post, I hope you have a wonderful summer!!

33. I rate this week 4/5 because the exam review really helped and the hot air balloons were also cool.

34. This week I would rate myself a 4 out 5 because I understood the pH but I still have trouble with understanding basis and acids. i plan to study a lot for this upcoming exam. It is kind of unbelievable that exams are next week. Chemistry is almost over. I have really enjoyed this class this year.

35. This week I learned about gas solubility and how if you come up too fast while scuba diving you can get sick enough to die

36. i rate myself a 4 out of 5 this week its neat to learn that while scuba diving when u come up for air if you take a huge breathe it can kill you

37. This week we learned about acids and bases. Although I knew the pH scale went from 1(most acidic) to 14(most alkaline), I had no idea why. It makes complete sense now that we have learned the formula to calculate whether a substance is an acid or a base. Well, not complete sense but enough that I mostly know what I am doing. Also, the labs this week really helped to explain some of the things taught to us this week. When we heated the sprite can with water in it until steam completely filled the can and then flipped it over into the bowl of room-temperature water and it popped and crushed, it really helped to give a visual about pressure. That blew my mind a little bit. The pressure on the outside was not the same as on the inside so it crushed the can. I would rate myself a 4.5 out of 5 this week.

38. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5. I rate myself this because I really understood what we did in class this week! For example, I learned that when oxygen that we breathe is in a cold environment it turns into a liquid. That is fascinating to me! I struggled this week with my test and I now understand that I made really careless mistakes on my test. I realized that I really need to go back over and check all of my work. The lab that we did this week really helped me understand the concept of gases turning into liquids and steams.

39. This week I learned how gases operate, such as when you add heat the molecules move faster and when you add cool temperatures the gas becomes a liquid. I also learned that if you go too deep in a scuba suit you could die by nitrogen bubbles in your blood system.

40. This week we did a lab about air pressure. We have to remember that two masses cannot take up the same space. When we boiled the water in the can, steam was formed, pushing the air out. When the can was flipped into the water the air pressure outside the can was more than the air pressure inside the can, compressing it and crushing the can.

41. I give myself 4 out of 5 stars because I did well on my test that we took and excelled at balancing equations. I also enjoyed the activity where we used hot air to float the balloons, and I Also enjoyed the activity using the Sprite can because I thought it was interesting how the can crushed because of the absence of air.

42. I rate myself 4 out of 5 stars this week. I understood mostly everything about pH and gases that we went over in class. It was also cool to see the different experiments we did in class together.

43. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5,because I did a good job on my test this week compare to my last test.I also learn the different between acid and base.Acid produces a piercing pain in a wound, tastes sour, is red on blue litmus paper, and has a pH7.

44. I’d rate myself a 4 out of 5 for the week. I learned how to determine the pH of solutions, the differences between acids and bases, and about the properties of a gas. What I really liked about this week is that we got to learn and then see visual examples of the things we are learning about. For example, the take home lab for Boyle’s law showed how volume is proportional to pressure. Then in the sprite can experiment I saw how air gives the can its shape. All the water turning immediately into steam caused the can to loose it shape.

45. I rate myself a 2 out of 5 this week. It’s not good but it’s appropriate. I didn’t do well on the test. My studying was off. But I did enjoy the last minute learning about acids and the ph scale. It’s pretty cool how all of those elements and chemicals work together to make new things and cool exciting reactions.

46. This week I learned a lot about the different ph levels of everyday items. The ph level of each item determines whether or not the item is an acid or a base. It is very useful to know and very interesting!

47. This week I learned about the pH scale and gas laws. Its crazy that the gas laws effect so many things in everyday life.