Hon Chemistry 5-6-15 Acids & Bases Intro

HON CHEMISTRY Great intro to the properties of acids and bases! Can you think you of ways to apply these concepts? Let’s talk more about pH tomorrow!

Hon Chemistry 5-6-15 Acids & Bases Intro from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

Image by Nick D. Kim scienceandink.com

12 thoughts on “Hon Chemistry 5-6-15 Acids & Bases Intro

1. For the beginning of this week and the end of last week, I would give myself a 3 out of 5. The reason I gave myself this is because I thought I did good at explore zone and I learned a lot about what daily items I use that are acids and bases. BUT<<< I've forgotten to do my web posts the past couple of times and I really don't need to wait until the end of the week when I'm busy because I will forget about doing it.

2. This chapter has definitely been different for me! I’d give myself a 4 out of 5 for this week due to the fact that I think I did well on the test, but I’m not incredibly confident in myself about it. As for the acids and bases, I’ve always wondered how the pH is measured and I had no idea that it involved hydronium ions and hydroxide ions so that was really interesting to me!

3. Everything that we have been learning this week about acids, bases, and pH has allowed me to see many Applications of chemistry throughout our daily lives! As a solutions’s concentration of hydronium ions increases, it becomes more acidic and the pH decreases. As the concentration of hydronium ions decreases, a solution becomes more basic and the pH increases. Ordinary items like vinegar and soap are examples of an acid and a base. And with the red cabbage test involving the various indication colors of pH balances, we will be able to see what even more household items are classified as!

4. This week i learned more about acids and bases. I learned the pH scale is based on the hydrogen ions produced when an substance dissociates in water. I also learned how to find the pH scale when given the concentration of hydrogen ions by taking the negative log.

5. This week I really enjoyed learning about acids and bases, particularly because it makes sense to me. I think it’s really cool how the pH and the pOH always add up to be 14. So far, everything makes pretty good sense in this chapter.

6. this week we practiced balancing chemical equations i feel like i got better this week from all the homework you gave us to practice balancing equations.

7. This week I learned more about balancing equations. The worksheets have helped me understand how to properly distribute coefficients. I also learned some of the rules for synthesis reactions and other reactions. The Lab Friday taught me more about chemical reactions and how to read more closely.

8. This week has been a change of scenery. I would give myself a 4/5 this week. This chapter has been pretty good for me so far I think I have excelled in the homework and I think I have learned a good amount form it. I think I also did a good job preparing for the test we took on the last chapter too. I also learned a pretty good bit about evaporation in today’s activity even though my group had trouble getting the water to boil. Oh, learning about the pH and acidity of solutions has been really interesting too!

9. This week has been one of my favorites in chemistry. I loved learning about the pH in our bodies and the real life application of what will change the pH levels. I also found the lab fascinating because I was able to learn real life tips for when cooking pasta. Overall I believe that I have comprehended everything this week and am very excited to continue learning about pH.

10. My web post is having a hard time posting, so this is test 5. Hopefully it will work. This week has been one of my favorites in chemistry. I loved learning about the pH in our bodies and the real life application of what will change the pH levels. I also found the lab fascinating because I was able to learn real life tips for when cooking pasta. Overall I believe that I have comprehended everything this week and am very excited to continue learning about pH.

11. This week has been really good. I have really understood everything. I think it was a lot easier since we were talking about the topic I did for explore zone.