Chemistry 4-15-15 Metallic Bonds

CHEMISTRY: Molten iron, wow! Here’s the lecture from Wednesday on metallic bonding. Aren’t you glad there are no structures to draw?! Make sure you can use the electron sea model to explain the properties of metals. Also be able to compare and contrast all three types of bonds.

Chemistry 4-15-15 Metallic Bonds from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

44 thoughts on “Chemistry 4-15-15 Metallic Bonds

1. This week, I rate myself a 3 out of 5. At first I didn’t understand Ionic bonds, but after I did them on the homework, they made more sense.

2. Hey it’s a great day! The project is over, and I think I may have done alright on it. Saying that I rate myself a 3 out of 5. My only concern is the test on Monday I’m not sure I recall the covalent section that well. So could we have a help session tomorrow or something.

3. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5 stars. I understood the ionic bonds very well and I understand the problems. I am worried, however, that I will not remember the dipole section for the test. I plan to fix this by rereading over my notes over the weekend to prepare for the test on Monday

4. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5. I give myself that rating because I waited till somewhat the last minute to do my project having said that I do believe that I did well on it. I think I can improve on that by planning my time in a better way. And is there anyway that we could have a help session for the test on Monday morning

5. This week has been a great week! So I rate myself 4 out of 5 stars. I have a good feeling about the project. I also learned I can light a lightbulb in different ways. I feel like I need to work on covalent bonds but other than that I understand the test. I feel like I need to practice more on the molecular geometry. I understood that the ionic bonds were the strongest bonds however I need to look into it more. Can we have a help session Monday morning to have some practice over the stuff we covered?

6. I rate myself 4 out of 5 I feel pretty good about my project but still pretty nervous. I feel really good about the electron dot configuration cause I actually can get those right and I already memorized the order of the electrons so yeah that’s awesome

7. This week we finally finished our chemistry project! We started learning about the electron sea this week! It’s very interesting how metals are able to keep themselves together because of their constantly moving electrons.

8. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 this week. Im happy to finally get the project done with the lost project, and now it time to prepare for the test. I know the I need to study a lot of molecular geometry because I was slightly struggling with that.

9. This week i rate myself a 3 out of 5. Only because of how late i started my project. But i still feel like i did ok on it. I learned how to light a lightbulb in deifferent ways. it amazed me how we could put the leads on the battery and the light and connect it to another metal object and it would still work!

10. This week i would have to rate myself a 3 out of 5. I enjoyed doing the battery lab. it was a good experiment to teach you like physical properties and easy and hard ways to make something work.

11. This week irate myself a 3/5. I rate myself this because I think I did a good job preparing for my project turn in and I was able to organize it very well. But, I also think that I could have done a better job preparing for the explore zone. To fix this, I am going to be going to researching more experiments about air pressure that could be new for the explore zone.

12. The text review really showed me how much material there is! I had forgotten the material that came from the beginning of the chapter! At first, just looking at the ionic bonding seemed so overwhelming, but working it is like working a puzzle. You have to continue adding more atoms until everything fits. I know that I have to continuing practicing the Lewis Structures and ionic bonding. One little slip up could mess up the entire thing.

13. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5. I rate myself this because I did plan ahead on my project and I think that I did very well on it. On ionic bonding, I struggled with it at first but after the homework we have done and the worksheet we did in class I now understand it. I struggled with remembering to draw the dots in the right place and remembering to put plus signs. Also, I realized this week that this chapter is huge and that there is lots of material that will be on the test. I think that if I really work on doing my lewis structures right, that I will do good on this test!

14. I would rate myself a 4out of 5 this week. I would rate myself this because I really understand the ionic and covalent compounds. The thing I am worried about however, is the section about dipoles. I will need to really study that this weekend for this upcoming test.

15. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5. I understand the ionic bonds and how to draw out those. While reviewing today, I noticed that I still have trouble with dipoles, so I will make sure to practice that while studying for the test on Monday.

16. This week I rate myself 3 out of 5. I think this week very challenging with doing the project and homework on top of that but it pushed me to a point I didn’t know I could reach! I’m still just having trouble with the molecular gemotry and how to do electronegative Lewis Structures but I plan on trying to be at the help session to help me better understand things.

17. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5. I didn’t start the project early enough so that gave me stress beyond any stress level. also i need to work more on molecular geometry and electronegative Lewis structures. I need to revise that for the test.

18. The project his week taught us to look at things from a different perspective. Every thing is made of elements and those element can be separated and purified by simple chemical means. With a knowledge of the world around you and chemistry, more things are possible than you think. The project research showed us that everything is made of elemenst and chemical reactions are easier to come by than the average human knows. We learned time management and got a feeling as to how a chemists’ career is and how they have to prove their expiraments. By doing this project, it helps us as students deciding what field of work we want to go into for college.

19. I was strugong with the ionic bonds and understanding how to work them. Today in class really cleared them up. Working them on the boards and going through it step by step was really helpful!

20. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5 because I finshed the hardest project of my life 🙂 and I struggled with learning the dipoles and drawing the molecular geometry for compounds. I also need to work on figuring out whether a compound is polar or nonpolar.

21. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5.
    I had a lot of struggles learning the ionic bonds. But I’m going to re watch the vodcast this weekend and look over that. Dipoles were also a little bit confusing but I picked that up today in class. In addition, I plan on looking over the acids and polyatomic ions this weekend, as its been a while… In fact, this week has been one of the most challenging weeks for me, as I was gone on a trip the week before. But now, that this week is over I feel confident that I can manage the rest of the year smoothly.

22. I feel like this week i would rate myself a 3 out of 5 because Eventhough i finished the project i feel like i didnt prepare for it correctly. I feel that i slack and was unorganized on the project but also i feel accomplished bc i did the project. I struggle learning the ionic bonds and dipoles so this weekend I am reviewing as much as possible to make sure i completely understand.

23. I rate myself a 4 out of five for this week. I am very exited that I am finished with the project and I feel like I did well on that. I feel like I understood the metallic bonds and also thought that the lab were we had to figure out how to set up the battery to make the lightbulb light up using the different ways of wiring.

24. This week i rate myself a 5 out of 5 because i completed the project and learned a lot from it. I learned about different compounds and the uses they have and how i can apply them to if i was in a position of survival. If I was in that position would know what to do.

25. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week because I learned more about bonding. I am also glad that we finally finished our project. I also feel like the review we did today helped a lot.

26. This week I rate myself a 4 out of 5 because learning the different between ionic and covalent bond.Also I learned the importance of the statement:”like bond dissolve like bonds that is why oil doesn’t dissolve in water.

27. this week I feel like I leaned a lot of new information with the project, and what we learned during this chapter. I feel like I have mastered completing the Lewis structure. and ionic bonding. throughout the project I learned a lot of information on how to survive in the middle of no where with limited resources. researching the items really helped me understand on how to use these to survive in the wild. also., the study suggestions we did in class today really helped me and I feel like I’m prepared for the test. I need to work on ionic bonding more and I will work this weekend on it. I give my self a 4 out of 5 for the week.

28. I rate my self a 3/5 this week. We learned that sugar will not conduct electricity but salt does conduct electricity and that if someone stuck a blow dryer that was plugged in in to sugar water it will not shock you and that salt is an ionic bond and sugar is a covalent bond. Salt will not burn and sugar will.

29. I’d rate myself 4/5 stars this week. I understood the ionic bonds when we went over the worksheet today. Also, it was interesting to make a light bulb come on with a battery. Making my own study suggestion sheet helped me realize what I really need to study for the test as well.

30. I rate myself a 4 out of 5 this week. I learned, from my project, how acids can neutralize each other and rejuvenate corroded batteries. Also, learned that metallic bonds are the reason metals have their strength.

31. I would rate my self a 3 out of 5 stars this week, as I have learned to grasp the concept of lewis structures but I am having trouble with dipoles.

32. I rate myself a 4/5 this week. I understood ionic bonding but I struggled with memorizing properties of ionic and covalent compounds.

33. I would rate myself a 5/5 for this week because I’ve never felt more accomplished! We’ve learned things like the characteristics of ionic and covalent bonds, how to light a light bulb, and most importantly turned in the most challenging project I’ve ever had. I’m so glad we made our own study suggestion sheet today. I realized then I need to go back and review then practice more material than I thought. However for the test I really need to go back and practice drawing ionic bonds and going over intramolecular forces.

34. To find the oxidation number of a compound you first must remember that the charges equal to zero, or if a polyatomic ion, then the charges must equal to the charge of the ion. Group 1 has a charge of +1. Group 2 has a charge of +2. Group 13 has a charge of +3. Group 14 has a charge of +/-4. Group 15 has a charge of -3. Group 16 has a charge of -2. Group 17 has a charge of -1. Each subscript to the element is how many there are. Multiply the change and the subscript. The last element in the compound will be negatively charged. The negative and remaining positive elements should equal to zero because it is a stable, neutral compound. Unless it is a polyatomic ion.

35. This week, I’d rate myself a 4/5 stars. Since we worked on chemical formulas all this week, it helped me to remember doing them. At first, I forgot how to do them, but after a little bit of practicing, I remembered how to do them.

36. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 stars for this week. I rate myself this because once I remembered how to do the oxidation numbers I felt more confident in doing balancing equations. But I still struggle with some of the balancing equations that is why I rate myself with this low of a rating.

37. Hello Mrs. Skinner
    Great week learning about balancing chemical equations. The science geek exercises helped a lot so I think I’m bout a 4 out of 5 this week