Chemistry 2-26-15 Ionic Radii & Electronegativity

CHEMISTRY: Here’s the lesson for Thursday and the last of the periodic trends – not car trends, periodic trends! Now on to some serious preparations for the test!!

Remember, you are required to watch this vodcast. The homework from Thursday will be due Friday – or the next day we are in class.

Don’t forget the Chapter 5 Stuff to Know sheet on Edline. It will be a great reinforcement as you begin to study and complete your notes on the properties and uses of the elements!!! It will be a great review as you are preparing for the test!!!

Hon Chemistry 2-6-15 Ionic Radii & Electronegativity from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by Infidelic

19 thoughts on “Chemistry 2-26-15 Ionic Radii & Electronegativity

1. I will rate myself 4 out of 5 for this week because the vodcast i watched yesterday and today is not difficult to understand but i have some questions.

2. This week i will rate myself a 3 of 5. I enjoyed the card activity we did in class. But this electronegativity has got me all types of confused.

3. This week I rate myself a 3 out of 5. I understood all of the element research and it was very interesting. I struggled with knowing the different trends on the periodic table and knowing that with atomic radii the largest one is the top right on the periodic table. The lab we did was very interesting and also helped me understand the periodic trends better. Other than that I understood everything this week.

4. This week I really enjoyed the reverse scavenger hunt because I learned that so many elements are used on things that I never knew they were before

5. I give myself a 4 out of 5 stars because I think I did very well on the reverse scavenger hunt. I deducted 1 star because I could’ve gone a little deeper into the descriptions.

6. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 this week because doing the periodic table card activity this week helped me understand how the trends in the periodic table work by groups and periods. However, I did not do very well on the test we got back.

7. I give myself two out of five stars this weak because i made a bad grade on my test. although I studied for the problems in the back, i did not prepare myself for the multiple choice information, which is why i failed.

8. I rate my self 3.75-5 stars this week. I feel like I need to brush up on the vocabulary and the atomic radii I need to look more into. I feel like I have got the noble-gas notation down and the order of electron affinities. I also need to look more into electronegatvity.

9. I rate myself a 4 out of 5 this week because I couldn’t figure out some of the pictures in the scavenger hunt. I ended up learning a lot in the end, like mercury poisoning caused madness and that bromine was used in flame retardants.

10. I give myself a 3/5 this week because I couldn’t find all the information on the scavenger hunt. I found it very interesting that the “mad as a hatter” saying originally came from the element Hg. I also realized receiving my test back I needed to work on my noble gas notation to get better. I enjoyed the few class days we had this week. The lab we did this week was very fun!

11. This week I rated myself a 4 out of 5 because I didn’t understand the noble gas notation at first.Then,I practiced some of the noble gas notation problem ,and after the three problem I begin to understand it.

12. I found it very helpful when you described atoms buying or selling electrons. Even though they do not actually buy or sell electrons, I found it a great analogy to use when I was doing the homework. Analogies like that always help me grasp the material better.