Chemistry 1-13-15 Fission & Fusion & Test Overview

CHEMISTRY: Hey guys! Here’s the laaaaast part of the charter – fission and fusion, and the short overview we did on the test tomorrow. Have you started studying? Be careful and don’t take the test for granted! Here’s a copy of the Chapter 21 Stuff to Know & Study Suggestions sheet.

Make sure you practice half-life problems and nuclear equations. Also, make sure you’ve memorize the nuclear symbols for alpha particles, beta particles, positrons, neutrons, and protons. And then there are tons of notes on the conceptual stuff. Properties of radioactivity, people, types of radioactive decay, applications of radioactivity, definitions, definitions, and definitions!

Practice everything! And did I mention, PRACTICE!! God bless you! I’ll be praying!!

Chemistry 1-13-15 Fission & Fusion & Test Overview from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

48 thoughts on “Chemistry 1-13-15 Fission & Fusion & Test Overview

1. I was really struggling with the half-life problems, but after looking in the book and doing practice problems I feel much more comfortable with them.

2. I rate myself 9/10 on nuclear chemistry. I really understood the material although, I had some trouble with the Neutron/Proton ratio problems.

3. I would rate myself 3 out of 5 stars this week because at first I didn’t really understand the half-life problems and struggled with setting them up but after we went over them in class and I worked some out on my own I started to understand the problems better.

4. This week I would have to rate myself a 3 out of 5 because I still really don’t have a good understanding about half-life problems and the fact I was sick for two days also hampered my understanding of those problems.

5. This overview really helped me learn the material I needed to know for the test. It helped me review on the things I needed to know.

6. When I look back at what we’ve learned this week about nuclear chemistry I’d rate myself 7 stars out of 10, because even though I understood it in time for the test it took me a while to finally catch on. Especially with Half-Life problems!

7. This week I triumphed in half-life problems. At first, I was having a hard time knowing where to plug in all the information, but after going to the help session I figured it out.

8. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 because when you first taught us the half-life problems it went right over my head. After you helping us practice the extra problems, explaining homework, and reworking problems on my own this week I was able to learn how to do the problems by the test time.

9. I would rate myself a 9/10 for this chapter. I really understood everything we learned about half life and radioactive isotopes!

10. I would rate myself a 3 out of5 stars , because I could explain the information we covered this week. However, I did have some issues with the half-life problems.

11. I would rate myself 3 out of 5 stars this week, over the problems and information this week. However, some half-life problems did give me some trouble.

12. This week in class I learned how to do Half Life problems. Practicing them in class helped me prepare for the test and now I think I can do them very well.

13. I give myself a 7 out of 10 this week in understanding what we learned. I give myself this rate because i did not fully understand the beta decay and the alpha decay. Although, I did understand the Half Life process pretty well.

14. I give myself about 3 out of 5 stars this week because I think I did good on my test because I studied a lot for it, and because I understood the whole half-life chapter pretty good. But I did have a little trouble doing my half life lab at first because I didn’t understand it, but reviewing another day in class helped me understand a lot better.

15. I rate myself 5 out of 5 stars on half-life problems. After the help session I learned it helps to write all the known information and to be detailed with your work so you can read it and plug everything in.

16. I rate myself 6 outa 10 on this week. I feel like I have done good on the assignments in class but I don’t think I did to good on the test.

17. In doing this weeks science in news i learned about how dangerous nuclear power is, it can leave damages for years.

18. At first this week when we were learning about nuclear fission I didnt understand but after we did the visual lab I started to understand a lot better.

19. This week I learned about the fukushima disaster in japn. The earthquake and Tsumami cause a meltdown and effected all of japan.

20. The test that we took this week, i would rate myself about a 5 out of 10 because i thought i could just study a little bit and get by. but by the time the test came i was really caught off guard. next test i will definately study alot more

21. The science in the news that we did this week really caught my attention. I had no idea that power plants could be so dangerous. Natural disasters also become exponentially worse when they are mixed with radioactivity. I hadn’t realized this before, and I really enjoyed reading about Fukushima.

22. This week the virtual lab we did really helped me understand how nuclear fission worked and visually was able to help me understand how elements are split into and fused together.

23. I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 this week. I liked the virtual lab we did this week. It helped me on understanding nuclear fission and creating a nuclear bomb.

24. I rate myself a 3 out of 5 because it took me a little while to get the half life problems but once I did they became easy.

25. This week in chemistry I learned how nuclei can be fissioned. I need to work on figuring out how the nuclei is fissioned and work on the nuclear formulas.

26. I enjoyed doing the virtual nuclear simulation lab! I enjoyed how I got to physically see how a chain reaction occurs. I did not expect it to be so crazy! It was very cool to create my atomic bomb! Also, I enjoyed watching the video on the electromagnetic spectrum. The song was nothing I expected…. But, after listening to the song, I already started to memorize the order of the electromagnetic spectrum. I know that it will be very helpful when I study! Thank you for the video! 🙂

27. I rate myself 4 out 5 stars because I studied hard for my test. I defucted myself 1 star because I could have studied longer

28. This week, doing the virtual simulation lab, I found myself learn a lot about radioactivity and chain reactions. I thought it was interesting when you shoot a single neutron at a nucleus like U-235, and how it splits apart. I learned a lot this week. I give myself a 4 out of 5

29. I would have to rate myself a 3 out of 5 for the week. I understood how radioactive decay works. However, I am not that good at half-life problems or neutron/proton ratio.

30. The test that we took this week, i would rate myself about a 5 out of 10 because i thought i could just study a little bit and get by. but by the time the test came i was really caught off guard. next test i will definately study alot more than the previous time

31. The Nuclear Chemistry VLab was very helpful on me understanding how the control rod works in a reactor. At first I didn’t get how it worked but know i do. To slow the neutrons iin the reactor.

32. At the beginning of the week, I was still struggling a little bit with the half life problems, but after reviewing them again, I finally understood them.

33. Half life and radiotion was hard at first but throughout the week I started understanding more and comprehending what was going going on.

34. For this week I would rate myself a 4 out of 5 because in the beginning half life was very difficult but after continuous work became easy.

35. I give myself a 7 out of 10 stars this week because I had a lot of trouble with the half-life problems but eventually understood them more as we practiced and went over them.

36. Because I am a visual hands-on learner, doing the virtual lab really helped me understand how nuclei altering experiments made the atoms radioactive. Being able to physically see how one nuestron triggered the chain reaction in the virtual lab made the process make much more sence.

37. I learned a lot this week, especially in the virtual lab. It was fun being able to simulate working with nuclear nuclei and putting them together to form an “atomic bomb”. I’m ready to see what God has in store in the coming weeks!