Chemistry 12-4-14 Structure of the Atom & Isotopes

CHEMISTRY – Chocolate chip cookie dough model of the atom? Here’s the lecture from Friday on how scientists began to determine the structure of the atom and the existence of subatomic particles. For each, make sure you know the name of the scientists, the name of their experiments, be able to draw a diagram of their experiment, and describe how they interpreted the experimental results that led to their discoveries. Wow, that’s a mouthful!

By the way, don’t forget about the video clips that I want you to watch! Click here for the video on the Cathode Ray Tube Experiment that Thompson did, and also for the video clips that I want you to watch on The Discovery of the Electron and The Discovery of the Nucleus. All of these will be great tools in studying for the test!

Any questions about the Carbon Isotope Mini-Project? Here is where you will post your questions and read the answers we talk about for the project. When you comment you can check the box to be notified if anyone else comments – that way you can know if I answer or if someone else asks a question.

CHANGE IN PLANS: Homework for Friday night is changed to Pg. 86 – 88: 7 – 11 and 34. Change the instructions for #11 to read, “… write BOTH the hyphen notation AND the nuclear symbols for the isotopes below.” Also, I want you to have plenty of time with the isotope problems, so I’m moving the test to Wednesday, December 10. This means that the due date for the Carbon Isotope Mini-Project is changed to Thursday, December 11.
šŸ™‚

December05 1006 c2 2014 from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

flickr photo by pixxiestails

34 thoughts on “Chemistry 12-4-14 Structure of the Atom & Isotopes

1. learning about how isotopes are really just the same atom with a different number of neutrons changed the way i look at atoms on the periodic table.

2. I liked learning about the different experiments and the cathode ray tube experiment helped me to understand how electrons work. How are we supposed to know if our project meets the size requirement?

3. I liked how we got to see the different ways that the scientists created their experiments and how they worked. It showed me that it’s harder than it looks when it comes to figuring things out

• A – Yes on chemical formulas and naming compounds on the test!! For the models, use clay. You can get it at Wal-mart or Target.

4. Doing the lab this week really helped me understand the way scientists discover new atoms or substances. I learned that you can determine the identity of a substance by using your observations. Like the way scientists determine the different types of atoms.

5. The lab this week was an example of atoms can be made up of more than one substance. It also helped me better with coming ip with observations for an experiment.

6. This week i learned that the Cathode Ray
    Tube Experiment by Thompson is how we figured out about electrons surrounding a atom.

7. This week I learned how hard it was for scientists in the past to determine the structure of an atom as there were many different models and ideas regarding the atom. This week also confirmed how awesome our Savior is and how intricate He is. He is so much bigger than us. We Serve an amazing God!

8. I believe I did good in the sock lab because I knew exactly what to do and I found out that scientist don’t always use calculations but observations too.

9. I give myself 4 out of 5 stars this week. I excelled when learning how scientists identify atoms in the sock lab and learning about how each different element has different isotopes when the protons and neutrons weren’t the same amount was a breeze.

10. I give my self a 3 out of 5 because learning about the protons and electrons being the same, while the neutrons have a different number was really easy to me. On the other hand, I did not know how to work the math problem in the homework from Tuesday night.

11. I enjoyed the sock lab we did this week because it helped me to better understand all of the theories and experiments that the many scientists did and how we still use them today.

12. The lab this week with the can in the sock really helped me understand how hard it was for scientists to find the structure of an atom.

13. I think I did very well on the lab this week. I realized that scientist don’t always use calculations in everything they do. they observe things without using formulas and things.

14. Isotopes project ?…When you say the protons and neutrons can’t “be smushed” do you mean they cannot touch at all or that they just cannot lose their shape when touch?!?

• Isotopes project?…When you say the protons and neutrons can’t be “smushed” do you mean they cannot touch at all or that they just cannot lose their shape when they touch?

• M – They don’t need to lose their shape! Remember that your nucleus needs to be representative of what a nucleus looks like. Do the protons and neutrons touch? Think about the examples I’ve shown you in class, or look at examples in your book! šŸ™‚

15. When you say you want us to include the parts of the nucleus do you mean things like ribosomes and chromatins etc ?

• J – Atoms not cells! Remember that in chemistry, isotope is another word for …., hmmmm, I’ll bet you can look that up in your notes! What would be in the nucleus of the isotope of an atom?

16. I learned so much this week on isotopes. I didn’t know that in an isotope the numbers of protons and electrons remained the same and the number of the neutrons only change.

17. I have really enjoyed learned about electromagnetic waves this week. I give myself a 7 out of 10 this week because I understand the electromagnetic spectrum, but I’m not very good at the math problems.