Chemistry 8-19-14 Lighting a Bunsen Burner

CHEMISTRY – Great job lighting Bunsen burners today! Did anyone happen to see a green flame when you put the copper wire in the flame? Wonder why???

Here’s something you will find useful in the future…everything you wanted to know about a Bunsen burner and how to light it. View the slide show BEFORE you take turn in your lab sheets and take the test.

Tomorrow we’ll continue with Part 6. Be sure and read ahead before you come to class! Also, make double dog sure you are keeping up with the observations and answering ALL of the questions at the end of the lab on pg. 13 – 18. There are a TON of them!!!

30 thoughts on “Chemistry 8-19-14 Lighting a Bunsen Burner

1. Class was really fun today! The slide really helped me learn the different parts of the Bunsen burner and what their function is.

2. I really enjoyed the lab today. I thought I knew the parts and functions of the Bunsen burner until I saw the slide. It was really helpful! (i did the wrong format)

3. Lighting the Bunsen Burner helped me to understand all the parts of it as well as keeping other people safe in labs!

4. I have really enjoyed this lab, especially lighting the Bunsen Burner. I also though that the penny dissolving in the acid was very interesting.

5. I found the slideshow really helpful to the lab and it was really fun getting to light a Bunsen burner and seeing all the parts to it.

6. I discovered this great app called “Scanner Pro” that will scan a document with your camera. Also, it can be uploaded directly to your GDrive. It costs money, but it is well worth it.

• S – Great idea!! I have the app but haven’t used it much. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for the info!!!

7. All of the labs we have done this week have helped me learn so much about lab safety! Thank you for taking the time to teach us things that we will use in every lab, not just to pass the test.

8. I really enjoyed learning how to use a bunsen burner this week. It interests me how when you turn the knob on the burner that it will change the colors from blue to orange.

9. All of these labs this week have really helped me learn lab safety and the correct procedures In the lab.The slide show really helped also.

10. I really had fun doing this lab and lighting a bunsen burner. Even though it took a couple of tries. 😉 I learned a lot.

11. Thanks for the helpful slideshow and showing us the proper way in lighting a Bunsen burner. It really helped on which flame is proper to use in lab.

12. The labs have been very helpful this week. They showed us how to be safe during the lab especially using a bunsen burner.

13. I loved learning how to adjust the flame to make it non luminous. I also loved when the penny dissolved in the acid and it turned the acid green.

14. i loved learning how to use the bunsen burner. the labs helped me learn more about where everything was in the lab.

15. I have learned in chemistry this week how to properly set up my busen burner. i have also leard how to operate the busen burner.

16. The slide show and labs helped me learn parts of the Bunsen Burner and other equipment in preparation for the test. Overall I have really enjoyed this week in the labs and chemistry itself.