Chemistry 5-6-14 Double Replacement & Combustion Rxns

CHEMISTRY: Wow! Can you believe we finished all 17! Here’s the lecture on the review and new notes on double replacement and combustion reactions. Now that you’ve got everything on paper, let’s tweak it all a bit more tomorrow!

Did you get the homework update? It’s on page 278, and you don’t have to re-do #27.

Need some extra help? Help session/review on writing chemical formulas Thursday morning, 7:20 A.M., and help session/practice on completing and writing chemical formulas Friday morning, 7:15ish A.M. Let’s confirm tomorrow in class!

HON CHEMISTRY 3-25-14 Double Replacement & Combustion Reactions from Tammy Skinner on Vimeo.

27 thoughts on “Chemistry 5-6-14 Double Replacement & Combustion Rxns

1. On the homework #27, what do you mean by ‘a general equation’? Do you mean an actual equation with elements and compounds, or like A + X = AX

2. Wow Ms. Skinner! It was really neat that we learned how air pollution happens today in class. It happens because the gas that is burning is not pure, or because the gas isn’t burning completely.

I guess that is why it would be safer for the environment if we drove those new electric cars.

3. Yesterday I learned that even if an element reacts with oxygen gas, it is only a combustion reaction if a hydrocarbon reacts with the oxygen gas.

4. Knowing that there is only one rule that applies to a combustion reaction makes it easier to memorize. It’s interesting how the products are always carbon dioxide and water.

5. I think it’s so cool that in combustion reactions, no matter how many carbons and hydrogens, it always comes out as carbon dioxide and water!

6. I find it so interesting that no matter the number of hydrogen’s and oxygen’s, there always will be H2O in a combustion reaction.

7. It’s so cool that combustion reactions happen all around us, such as in our cars. It is also interesting how a double replacement reaction is so simple and just requires the switching of elements.

8. This weeks lesson was very interesting. I didn’t know all these reactions nor their formulas. And combustion I think is the most interesting in my opinion.

9. The chart with the notes that you gave us today really helped me understand the reactions better. It will be much easier to memorize the reactions for the quiz tomorrow!

10. I am pretty sure that the chemical equations practice help session is tomorrow, and the chemical formula help session is on Friday.

11. The different kinds of reactions are easier to learn if you memorize the sample like synthesis is the A+X=AX. Also they hydrocarbons you really have to double check because it could change it from a combustion if it’s there and synthesis if it isn’t.

12. When we type our lab report do we type our observations under each specific reaction or do we write it in a data table?

13. That quiz today literally threw me off! I know it was only quiz one so do you have in mind when we will have quiz two so I can make up the grade?

14. I found the chemical formulas worksheet very helpful! It showed me how to apply the chemical formulas we memorized, in particular.

15. It is amazing how memorizing the chemical reactions make writing and balancing equations so easy! I am able to write them faster just by knowing if I have a metal and oxygen, it makes a metallic oxide.

16. I wish we had more time to go over the answers from the balancing equations worksheet three before the year on Monday

17. I just got on google drive and the last lab that I submitted (Paper chromatography) did not successfully submit it had some kind of error on it. I resubmitted it just to show it was there. I’m sorry I did not catch this before. But I did do it! haha Google Drive is ready for the year to be over apparently.