Chemistry: Water Wire Lab

UPDATE – The due date has been changed to midnight on Friday, April 25. You’ll write this one up (with photos, data table, etc.) and save it as a PDF in you Google Dropbox.

CHEMISTRY – Here’s special info about the Water Wire Take Home Lab. It may work the first time you make your apparatus and it may not, so give yourself plenty of time. I’m looking forward to hearing about the way you will keep experimenting with ideas to see how to make those light bulbs light up! Do you know, that’s when you often learn the most and grow the strongest – from failure?!

Also, give yourself plenty of time to get your supplies – super important!! You will need to get the light bulb from some place like Radio Shack – that’s the only local place I have found them. Be sure and get your bulb early in case they run out, and you might want to consider an option just in case you blow your light bulb – buy two maybe? One word of advice – try it first with a smaller voltage battery than the 9V battery suggested on the sheets. Last year, we found that the 9V batteries kept blowing the light bulbs. You might also consider getting a light bulb with a higher voltage, but I can’t promise how it will work – especially on the weaker electrolyte solutions.

You’ll also need popsicle sticks and I have skinny popsicle sticks that will work really well, if you’d like to use them.

Don’t forget to also do the last part of the lab – to test five different liquids at your home to see if they are ionic solutions. You will type up this report and save it to your Google Drive as a PDF. Also, don’t forget to include lab photos for each part. You will include all your results in the Observations section of your lab report. It is due by midnight on Wednesday, April 23. Good luck with it, and have fun!

light bulb

35 thoughts on “Chemistry: Water Wire Lab

1. What do we do if we have an item and we cant find ANYTHING about it and how to use it to help survive in the tundra?

2. Gale expired for American History, does this mean the trial has expired for Chemistry too, since it is the same data base?

• Weslyn, No The gale trial for American History is separate from the Chemistry trial. The trial will last till a date after the project is due.

3. Molecular geometry is nothing like math geometry. According to the VSEPR theory, the letter A represents the central atom in a molecule, the letter B represents atoms bonded to the central atom, and the letter E represents the unshared electron pair on the central atom.

4. STEM Track was very informative. I learned about many jobs that took the knowledge of math and applied it to life.

5. STEM was really cool. It helped me be more open to technology because more jobs are being inflitrated by new technology, and you have to be able to learn how to use it. The paramedic at STEM said that technology helps make her job easier and helps save lives! How cool!

6. Mrs. Skinner
    I have tried to access the science geek echem program but my java on my computer will not allow me to add it to the allow pages. I was wondering if I could come on during lunch tomorrow and work on it?

7. I really enjoyed helping with STEM track today! There are so many more careers than I thought in those fields, and many were really very interesting! Thanks for the opportunity!

8. I’ really liked STEM track. I found the IT guy especially helpful in confirming my idea of wanting to be a computer programmer.

9. It is amazing the many careers out there and stem track really helped us. I did not know ut was this many jobs out there dealing with this. One thing the therapists said is he had to all the bones and mr keltner said he has to know x+y=z-a+b+u

10. I really enjoyed the STEM tracked thing! Its amazing how many careers are involved and how many more are yet to come

11. I heard many people at STEM saying how they wished they would have taken a science or mathematics course in college. It makes me think about which courses I need to take in college in order to have a career in one of the fields we learned about at STEM.

12. I thought the STEM track was really helpful for me. I was glad that there was a phamacist there because that’s what I plan on doing. She gave out an early entry packet that will be very helpful when I apply for college.

13. I enjoyed really enjoyed STEM track!It really amazes me how much science, technology,engineering,and mathmatics today in our world and how many of the jobs these days depend on one of those four things.

14. Thank you for hosting the STEM track yesterday! It was very interesting to learn about different career choices that used math, science, technology, and engineering!

15. Yesterday at STEM, I enjoyed learning how forensics is used in order to collect evidence in a homicide investigation. I’ve been wanting to study in criminology in college so this was interesting.

16. I found it very interesting that valence electrons are arranged in a specific order around an element in electron dot notation to demonstrate Ionic Bonding.

17. I found it very interesting that just by knowing how many central atoms, the number of atoms bonded to the central atom, and the number of unshared electron pairs there are on a central atom,it can help you determine the ABE structure to be made into a Molecular shape.

18. I found STEM track very interesting yesterday! My favorite booth was the orthodontist one. It is cool to see how much science and technology is involved in this career.

19. I am so glad that I was able to go through stem track yesterday. I did not realize how much math and science was used in engineering.

20. I enjoyed stem track yesterday. It was interesting to see that they use math in everything and most use science.